So I fried my power supply and a.n. other component in my G3

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by whartos, Jun 18, 2003.

1. whartos macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm after some advice/suggestions around a hardware problem - in return you get a tale of gross stupidity from the UK (well that's how I feel now!).

'Idle hands will do the devil's work' and mine certainly have!

I have a blue and white G3 and I switched the voltage toggle on the rear while it was connected to the mains supply - IT WAS NOT POWERED UP! Not that that made any difference. Sparks and smoke resulted and I concluded I had fried the power supply (black burn marks on it).

So I purchased a reconditioned supply (guaranteed and at a total cost of £100) and fitted it, making sure I had mapped the connections to the various components correctly. When I powered the machine up again the replacement power supply blew - I believe the venacular employed was 'Gutted!'.

I am guessing that there is another component which has been burnt out and is shorting back into the power supply, however I am not a electrical engineer and this is supposition. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions (apart from get a Fisher Price or use parental supervision in future)?

Cheers.

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Well, due to the fact that there is current running into the computer when not powered up, you could have fried any number of expensive internal components, inlcuding your mother board, and any DIMM chips installed. I'm not sure if the power supply to the hard drive is protected or not in the event of a power supply blowout, so they may be damaged as well...you would probably have to put it in another machine to test it...my advice is to take it in to a repair shop...they'll be able to tell you what components are still functional

3. donigian macrumors regular

I just want to know why you were playing with the voltage switch.