so I got a hard drive that needs to be smacked to start it up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kyle Nerder, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I have have this Western Digital HD that has been running in my external case. This thing runs almost non-stop. The fan ran all the time, until I install a kill switch on it. I just turn the fan on when I am doing intensive work.

BUT lately the drive won't boot unless I give it a good bump/smack. it will spin once but jam. A good smack usually gets it going.

I'm thinking it is a toasted bearing. Any suggestions? I know it's not a loose connection and the enclosure works fine with other drives.

Help will be greatly appreciated

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, my kids are like that too*

But if you need to beat on your HD to get it going, it sounds like a Bad Thing™. I'd consider backing up and replacing the drive sooner rather than later.

*I am just kidding. I don't smack my children around. :rolleyes:

3. vniow macrumors G4

Does anyone else think of the Prodigy song "Smack My Bitch Up" when you read the topic?

I'm not sure how expensive hard drive repair is so its its cheaper to get a new one I'd say go for it, sounds like its bound to fail at any tim, hope you have your data backed up...

4. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I grabbed the esentials off it as soon as it did it the first time.

Too bad I can't just give it some wd-40 and get another 3 years out of it.LOL Damn electronics.

I guess it reminds me of the Prodigy song too. Did anyone else know you could have a thread title soooo long?

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

How old is the drive? Maybe you have some warranty remaining. 3 years seems to be the norm in the hard drive industry.

It will be nice will solid state drives become more feasible.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

KT's suggestion was much better, it's Seagate :p Supposedly seagate are a really good brand of hard drive and Western Digital are crap.

9. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

yeah I think I am going to buy a SATA drive. I just got a Power Mac G5 and 160GB drive is filling up fast. I could always use my iPod 20GB for transporting data. I can get a 250GB SATA for $140CAN at Tigerdiect.ca

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aah, I like Seagate, and their 5 year warranties are nice, but really these days it's pretty much hit-or-miss regardless of the brand. The only statistical survey I've ever seen, over at Storagereview.com, shows Seagates as generally being reliable, but the recent 7200.8 series has been having an abnormally high failure rate. Maxtors used to generally fall at the bottom of the survey, but most newer ones rate ok.

Oh, and if you like WD and don't mind rebates, a 320GB can be had for around $110, or about $125 without rebates--have a peek at Dealmac.com, they've run several good ones recently.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I did...I just couldn't think of a smart-ass comment that makes sense. "smack my hard-drive up" just doesn't sound as cool as "smack my bitch up"...

12. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

wait wait wait! dont throw away that hard drive. This looks like an electric problem.

Is it a hard drive enclosure?

If yes:

-Look at the power plug (inside (from casing to hard-drive) to see if it aint just loose
    -Same for IDE cable but i Doubt

If not hard drive enclosure:

-Open it up and do the same as above.

If thats your problem, you just saved big bucks!

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Reminds me of when I had to smack up my PB to get her going after several beachball freezes. Her hard drive was experiencing deferred success running. I must've smacked her up too hard and too often cuz she died 2 months later. Stupid bitch.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Don't you hate it when that happens?

/oh, you were talking about a PB..
    //Walks away slowly

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's no excuse for domestic violence.

Sorry, I just felt the need to say that. :eek: ;) :D

Anyway, I ditto that a cabling sort of problem, whether inside the enclosure or outside, is the most likely culprit. That's usually the culprit when other electronics, like TVs, work because you smack them, too. A hard drive is very delicate... much like me. :eek:

If it were really an internal issue with the hard drive, and you were performing a sort of chiropractic adjustment by putting the smack down, there's no way the thing would continue working after that... once that kind of physical alignment issue creeps up, you're pretty much done.

16. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

luckily you didn't overhear the conversations of my friends at university today.

*ahem* a little misguided, they be.... :rolleyes:

17. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Not always. What makes Seagate a better value is their 5 year warrenty. Of course, if your drive craps out, and you loose all your data, what good is a warrenty (that dosen't cover the data on the drive)? I have always used seagate, but I have a couple Raptor drives, and I gotta say, the rock. It all depends on what kind of drive you get. I remember when DeskStar's were the hot item, then quality went down, lots of data loss, then IBM sells it's HDD div. to Hitachi, now they are trying make a comeback..
    If you don't need the lightning-fast Raptor drive, I'd go with Seagate too.

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Ah, the old VSA is alive and well. Reminds me of a tech I worked with in the early days as a reseller (late 80s). Would have customers bring in PCs not working. I'd ask him what was wrong and he'd reply, I don't know, I just gave it the old VSA and it worked.

VSA- Vertical Slam Adjustment.

19. generik macrumors 601

generik

Actually the 5 years warranty is a bit misleading, because beyond the third year they will no longer service or replace your drive. Instead they will offer you a current drive for a prorated upgrade fee.

So in essense it is really a way for them to tie your next hdd purchase back to seagate.

20. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

oh my god what i co-insidence, i was jst listening to that song and i just read this thread,

and i thought of it, well great minds think alike ;)

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Whatever you replace, don't lose the receipt. Sometimes when a drive needs to be kick started, it's really the enclosure power supply that is going bad.

22. G5power macrumors 6502

With Black Friday just around the corner, you should be able to snag a real low $$ IDE hard drive to replace the soon to be dead drive.

Look around and you can probably find a 160 GB Seagate for $30-40 after rebate on Friday.