So, I got ran over today....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ugg, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was walking to my neighborhood Starbucks, iPod in my left front shorts pocket, earbuds in and listening to last week's Science Friday Podcast. My PB in my backpack. It's bloody hot here, over 100 degrees. I was dripping sweat like crazy.

Anyhoo, I was going through the big parking lot leading to SB, it's virtually empty. There's a little intersection with a stopsign off to my left and a yellow car just about to pull away from the stop sign. I momentarily think about waiting as it's only about 70-80 yards away. The driver turns his head as though he's seen me and so I keep walking across the marked road that goes through the parking lot. I look the other way but there aren't even any parked cars there. I look back to my left and the driver obviously hasn't seen me as he's about 5 feet from hitting me.

The car had obviously accelerated faster than I thought when he was leaving the intersection he was probably going about 20 mph.

It was sort of a weird moment and somehow, instinctively maybe (?) I sort of jumped up and ended up on the hood of the car and slid halfway up the windscreen. I started swearing up a storm almost immediately. I've been hit twice by cars while bicycling and anytime I even think I'm in danger of something like this the swearing has become almost automatic.

The guy gets out of the car, he's in his 60s and obviously pretty shook up to see someone laying on the hood of his car! I'm pretty shook up and pat myself down, other than a small scrape on my left ankle (I landed on my left side) and a slight tenderness in my left elbow and right calf, I seemed ok.

The guy pulled into a parking space and the first thing I did was check to see if my iPod was ok :D It was fine, yay! Then after telling the guy I seemed ok, I pulled out my PB and yes, it too had escaped injury. Even though I landed on my side and not my back, I think when I slid up the windscreen and partially onto the roof of the car my back took some of the pressure. His car was filthy and my shorts and shirt were covered in dirt and since I was sweating like a pig it turned to mud.

After exchanging names and somewhat apologizing for all the filth that came out of my mouth, I went on my way to Starbucks. Surprisingly a lot less shook up than I thought I would be.

Moral of the story: always, always catch the eye of oncoming drivers and if a car is coming at you, jump up and onto the car, I think it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't done that. Had it been an SUV, I probably would have been in the hospital....

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Glad to hear you're ok.

Although I never have the opportunity to travel by foot or cycle of sort, I'm always using a watchful eye. My powerbook and iPod mean too much to me, just like yourself!

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That was the first thought that crossed my mind before I had finished reading your post-- EYE CONTACT! I'm glad that you and your goodies seem fine. Whew, close encounter, though.

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

Glad you are ok. This reminds me of a similar, although more freakish, event that happened to me a few years back. I had just moved my car around the corner because they were paving my street. Got out of my car and started walking back to the house along the sidewalk. As I approached someone's driveway I saw their car slowly backing up. Ahh, I figured, they'll see me. Well i get up within a few feet of the driveway and see that there is no one in the car! The car rolled down the driveway, across the street and into a tree. I went to house, quite shaken up, and basically told the woman that she should get her car, which almost ran me over, out of the street as it is blocking traffic. The strangest part was that the car had been there for some time, at the very least the 5 minutes it took to move my car.

Well, again glad you are ok, and always assume there is no one driving a car when u see one coming for ya.

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Exilarating. Here the dude probably would have just kept right on driving... ;)

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Scary, man!

Glad you and your precious stuff escaped injury.

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Ahhhh...! That's worrying.. :( Glad to hear your ok.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Take a hot bath tonight with some relaxing salts in it or you'll wake up as stiff as a board tomorrow. And have some ibuprofen cream/gel ready to go.

I got hit once (slightly less hard than you from the sounds of it) by a car who slowed to stop at a pedestrian crossing but didn't quite make it. I was fine all that day - my colleagues were amazed. But the next day, I'd seized up entirely.

10. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

And now this? I hope you don't start to develop a complex. Glad to hear you're okay. I've had a few close calls (drivers not seeing me) but thankfully have never been hit.

11. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Well you didn't really get run over did you, more run under :rolleyes:

Seriously though glad to hear your okay :)

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Kinda makes you realize that we are all one step between here and the hereafter. No guarantees... so we need to all live life to the fullest. Use this as a motivation to do something you were hesitant to do in the past. You never know when you might not have the opportunity again. :)

Glad you are OK.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

That reminds me of the time I almost got hit by a car (well I did touch it).

I was going to class on my skateboard and as I came up to the cross walk I saw a car coming so I slowed down to get off my board but I noticed that a girl was crossing the crosswalk so I figured I could make it across the street around the same time as her and as traffic had stopped....

Anyway apparently the car that stopped for her was only intent of letter her cross the crosswalk as as soon as she wasn't in front of him he started to go. Well I was right in front of the car, and honestly I don't know where he was looking because he didn't slow down. I put my hand on the corner of his hood and kinda threw myself forward. Luckily my skateboard went up over the curb instead of bouncing back and getting run over, and I didn't get hit. The worst thing though was that the man slowed down a bit, then took off!

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

glad you're ok... eye contact is key...

i thought you were going to say you were hit while riding and listening to an iPod, judging from your 'tar. i think that biking and iPoding is about the most stupid thing a person can do

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ugg, glad to hear that you (and your PB and iPod) have emerged relatively unharmed. Good that the man was not driving a Ferrari, he would have been going much faster :eek: ;)

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*snort* I've seen many a Ferrari owners/drivers stall out because they're not accustomed to the clutch and light flywheels.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Good escape! Arnica and Rescue Remedy. Should be in every First Aid Kit for incidents like that.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

True, but once it's moving... ;)

Very happy to hear you're okay Ugg.

19. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

glad you are ok. ive been hit before, but i was on a bike. it is surprising how often people do not pay attention while driving. i think if anyone every hits a pedestrian, or biker they need to get a big red stamp on their drivers license that says "BAD DRIVER" that way the insurance companies will know who to charge more money too and less money to those who do not have the stamp.

20. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Woke up feeling just fine today, so that is a relief, I figured I would be sore and aching.

I really could kick myself for not truly catching the eye of the driver, I thought I did but.. Ever since my first bicycle accident with a car I've always made a point to do so whether walking or driving. Things like this are always a wake up call.

I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse. The thought of being literally run over by a car is not one I ever want to contemplate. It won't change the fact that I would rather walk or bicycle rather than drive a car but I'll just be a lot more careful.

I'll call the guy today to let him know I'm fine.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

BTW, the scrape on my ankle came from the hood ornament. I guess I'm lucky it was only my ankle and not any of the other important bits ;)

21. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I was hit on my bicycle on a busy street by someone opening a door of a parked car way too quickly without looking. Went straight into it and up and over the handle bars. I fractured my radius trying to brake my fall, but it could have been much worse. Fortunately I left my powerbook and iPod at home that morning! :D

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes ... leaving that dangling on the hood ornament would sound like a deleted scene from Death Race 2000.

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Glad to hear you're ok. I was nudged by a car a few weeks back.

I went to the hospital to see my dad (convenient, huh?). Some old lady in an SUV pulls up and parks in front of the building, to let her hubby out. Well, she's about third in line, so she parks in th crosswalk (which is where I was headed). So I detour around her SUV, and and just then, she BACKS INTO ME!! So I jump out of the way after getting the warning tap, and she CONTINUES TO BACK UP!! She didn't even feel the bump!. Then she drives away. Of, course the people who saw it thought it was funny. I just shook my head. Ah, well, didn't even hurt. Gotta be careful out there. :eek:

24. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is something that bothers me a lot, the fact that older drivers can be somewhat careless. The guy who hit me was in his 60s. He didn't start braking until I was on his car.

My father is 73 and the most careless driver I've ever known. I refuse to ride in a car that he is driving. He had a minor fender bender earlier this year, the first in his life. I just hope he's sensible enough to realize at what point it's no longer safe for him to drive. He also drives a big old chevy which just exacerbates the problem.

25. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

That's maddening. I hate it when someone does something to endanger you and doesn't even notice. Like when I was almost hit, the guy didn't get out to ask if I was ok.

Did you tap on her car to let her know she was about to hit you?

Hmmm the sidewalk seems to be for pedestrians. I would have been very angry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.