So I guess all Intel Power Macs will be Quads...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jaybot, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Jaybot macrumors newbie

Gotta figure if the iMac gets a dual core chip, than the new Power Macs will get two of them.

Quads for all!!

2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

3. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

An all quad PowerMac lineup would be amazing, but really expensive. Doing this would certainly cut out any chance of BluRay drives in the first batch of Intels (if they want to keep the prices short of astronomic).

Slitting the linup into single core (Mac mini), dual core (iMac), and quad core (PowerMac) has certain marketing advantages that may be more pressing, however. If they do go quad, they might want to look into some sort of SLi setup to really push the graphics up a notch. If you're putting four cores in there you don't want any obvious bottlenecks to take away from its performance.

I just hope the top-of-the-line Intel quad PowerMac is a little cheaper than the G5 quad. Even $100 would be a nice gesture on Apple's part.:D

4. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

they could even be dual 8 core chips think about that.

5. ksz macrumors 68000

When the new PowerMacs are announced at WWDC in June, I wouldn't be surprised if they are quad core all around. But they will have to be based on Conroe for 64-bit Extensions to the x86 architecture. Actual shipping dates would be dependent on Intel's release of said processor, and it may take a few weeks to a couple of months after WWDC. But if Apple has lit a fire under Intel, maybe the wait won't be so long.

As for SLI, I cannot see Apple supporting a non-standard. If they support SLI, the ATI camp will complain about the lack of CrossFire.

6. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

A LONG LONG WHILE

7. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G