So I have a 2013 - 13" LG and a 2013 13" Samsung in front of me and....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bravenewmac, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bravenewmac, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013

macrumors member

honestly i cant see a difference AT all. I initially got a 13" 2013 MacBook Air with a LG screen. and always found it really dark and also wondered what the fuss about the Samsung Screen is all about. So i called apple, told them iam not happy with the screen and they shipped me a second MBA. I got it today, checked and it has a Samsung screen. I put them side to side and NOTHING. I mean ok i have a color profile on the LG but with the profile both look 1000% the same. I heard the Samsung is mouch sharper for text for example - but it really really is the same. Its neither sharper, nor darker nor anything.

Iam a designer so i say i know my **** and see stuff like color differences etc. but its nothing.

I don´t get it so either in 2013 LG got their **** together and the screens are a bit better or i have no idea…

i can post pictures if you guys are interested

2. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Take a look again in the evening under artificial light, you'll see a difference.

3. bravenewmac, Aug 9, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

uh yeha the air isnt my work machine just travel friend

4. thread starter macrumors member

ok tried this under low artificial and no light conditions - had them side by side . i even looked though all of http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ And still NO difference at all. Only 1 minor thing, the LG seems to have better black levels while the Samsung seems to have better white saturation.

5. macrumors 601

I never got suck in this LG vs Samsung thing. What u gonna do, keep returning the darned thing until u hit a Sammy? :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

sure why not. high quality ones please if you could. thanks

7. macrumors newbie

Can you post multiple images, some of different colors/applications being displayed?

8. macrumors 6502a

I ended up spending two hours at an Apple store looking at MBAs with screens from the two vendors. I saw some minor variations between the vendors' offerings and also between the screens from the same vendors.

Screens from both vendors looked very good to me. A little different, but very good.

What has been missing from Apple products with screens forever, of course, is resolution independence. *That* would make more of a difference for me than any minor perceived qualitative differences in screens from different vendors on the same product.

9. bravenewmac, Aug 11, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

So i just put them side to side again and had 2 friends over to look at them, we again went though:

pages of text,
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/,
    and some test pictures.

Result : NOTHING. No difference at all.

BUT here is the thing:
    I had the LG hardware calibrated (Spyder) and are using this profile. With the profile (and i did all tests with it) it looks 10000% the same as the samsung out of the box. With the standart profile it doesnt, obviously.

So it comes to this: The Screens are the same but the calibration is off, if you have a LG screen go get a Spyder Pro (rent it or buy it on amazon and return if you don´t need it) and calibrate it.

So its clear here, the samsung will go home to apple and i keep the LG (because i already set it up)

------

10. maflynn, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Closed for clean up.

Thread has been reopened. If you are not interested in discussing the topic at hand, then do not post.

11. thread starter macrumors member

thx maflyyn

Also guys its not like iam the first person to notice that there isn´t any kind of difference:

also i will post pictures as promised as soon as i get to my DSLR - i want to make sure the camera settings are the same for the pictures

12. macrumors regular

jadAce

:) You could even start doing the mathematical analysis: "What is the probability of purchasing Macs and waiting for shipping (1-2 weeks) or having to drive to the Apple Store, and getting a Samsung randomly?"

OP, thanks in advance for pictures!

13. macrumors 68000

why don't you calibrate the samsung and see if it looks even better after calibration?

14. thread starter macrumors member

iam going to get a new hardware calibration tool tomorrow and will then calibrate both screens and finally take the pictures

15. macrumors 68000

nice! I just returned my LG screened air because I felt that text looked terrible. It may be because I use an ipad with retina and the laptop I used before was a retina macbook pro so my standard may be very high but I use my 2010 iMac and don't find text looks as bad on it as it did on the air despite it having a much lower ppi

16. macrumors 6502a

pls share profile of LG

17. macrumors 6502

Just picked up the new 11" base 2013 MBA a few days ago with an LG display. Here's my profile calibrated using ColorMunki Photo. All displays are different so YMMV. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. macrumors member

compare a 2013 air to a 2011 one. 2011 > 2013....not sure why but they decided a more reflective screen would be better. really is a shame

19. macrumors 6502a

? did they really gloss up the display more?

20. macrumors 68000

I just got one with a samsung after returning my LG, text clearly looks better likely because blacks are more black and whites are more white. It is a clearly visable difference. I calibrated the samsung and LG both using apples calibration software with just my eyes

21. macrumors 6502

Not a good method to do any form of true comparison for many reasons. It's highly unlikely you can calibrate both displays properly using this tool. In fact, try to re-calibrate your existing Samsung display again using Apple's tool, I bet you will not get the exact same result.

You need a true calibration tool that performs the calibration on both machines under the same lighting conditions. The only real comparision that has merit.

22. macrumors member

yeah, I bought a 13" haswell ultimate and comparing them side-by-side to my 2011 there was a noticeable difference in glare. I tried to get over it but using it day-to-day in the typical environments I do the glare really stood out so I returned it. may try one again but ill at least wait to see the new rMBPs

others have noticed as well-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508037

23. macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I'm pretty sure if you dig deep enough you'll find a thread along the lines of "Let's make a big deal out of LCD variances, hype it up and get lots of people to return their MacBook Airs because it had vendor A's display... We'll have cheaper refurbished MacBook Airs in no time!" ;)

But seriously... I've unboxed and configured roughly 40 MacBook Airs over the past year or so and have never seen a drastic difference between the two displays. If you get down to it you might see better handling of darks with the LGs and a bit better handling of whites with the Samsungs but by no means is there night/day difference between the two.

24. macrumors 6502a

I finally have adjusted my screen just right thanks to a program called Gamma Control:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11545/gamma-control

It helped me figure out that the 'native' white point, and gamma on the LG default colour profile are waaaaay off.

Now when I tilt the screen whites no longer turn neon blue! Actually, colours on both the vertical, and horizontal axis have pretty good viewing angles now! My eyes are no longer fatigued by the washed out colours.

I wish I could figure out a way to turn it into a permanent profile without the app running.

Is there any app that will let me edit a colour profile with the gamma values set by this app?

25. macrumors 6502

Folks...if you are really bent and nit pickingly nuts on having your display "perfect" - (a) you really should be doing something which requires such precision and (b) you should be making a small investment to keep things as such.

I bought a ColorMunki a few years ago, what a valuable tool. I do my own digital photo editing and printing. Having my display/printer/paper profiled for proper color management is essential. I need my prints to look like my display or I'd just be better off flushing all that expensive ink and paper down the toilet. It's way to costly to make a mistake or take several trial and errors to get something that looks close.

There are many affordable hardware options depending what you need, all of which are significantly better than Apple's tool or some 3rd party app that needs to be run in the background. Do a little reading on ColorManagement, get the tool that fits your need and your done with this issue for ever.