So, I have a PS3, now what???

Discussion in 'Games' started by wPod, Jan 2, 2007.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I walked into a Best Buy store and they happen to have PS3s just sitting there (no crazy line or anything). So, I bought one. Unfortunatly they didn't have any good games, just one or two games I would never play sitting on the shelf. I don't know what to do with the PS3 now. It is sitting in my living room like a $600 brick.

I could either sell it, or find a good game and play. I am affraid of selling it because the e-bay prices aren't very high, some are actually selling for below retail. But if I play it, what games are good? Any reccomendations?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Return it? If you don't have any use for it and don't want to sell, the store should let you take it back

3. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Returning it for your 600 sounds like a fine idea...

Or, I hear that Resistance: Fall of Man is good. But, you are not satified, return it.

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

Depends on what kinds of games you like. I really like RPGs and they're 90% of what I play, but there aren't any good ones on the PS3. However, when I decided to buy the PS3 I was feeling the FPS urge so I picked up Call of Duty 3 and Resistance and both were a lot of fun. The story in Resistance is getting so good it's hard to put down. And, it doesn't suffer from any drops in frame rate like GOW. ;) (google: gears of war framerate) I play it in 720p and it looks utterly fantastic. Smooth as can be. I've never played an FPS game in my life that didn't miss a beat when tons of enemies were firing at me or when I was turning around. Of course, it's been a few years since I played one or even had a PC that had some on it.

If you like racing games, then I must say Ridge Racer 7 is awesome. I'm also enjoying Full Auto 2, which I didn't like at first. These are both sequels to 360 exclusives, and are PS3 exclusives.

Online gaming is easy and fun in either of the 4 mentioned games. You can get into a game in under a minute in most cases and it's a lot of fun. RR7 doesn't give much in the way of chatting, but other games like Resistance support voice chat. Resistance can get crazy online because it supports up to 40 people.

That being said, I feel the PS3 is a great system and I personally feel it'll be #1 after it's had a year or two to get going. However, right now it more or less is a $600 brick. At least it's a $600 brick that looks pretty and will make people say "ooh" and "ahh" when they come over. But let's face it. We just spent $600 on a PS3. We did that because nobody ever comes over. :(

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I say keep it, the PS3 has lot of potential and 2007 looks like it will be a kickass year for it, if you are a RPG kind of guy, you can't go wrong with the Playstation, no other system has as much RPG games (though they are JRPGs for the most part).

Right now Resistance is a pretty good game and there a few other okay games.

Just wait for Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, new Naughty Dog game, new Ratchet & Clank (or other Imsomniac Games game), Formula 1 Championship, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken, Virtua Fighter 5, Resident Evil 5, etc, plus a lot of the multiplatform games like Grand Theft Auto, Assasin's Creed, etc.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I did some searching and the negative I read was all regarding an X05 (2005) demo...

Other threads I found indicated the framerate never drops below 30 fps, their target goal.

Yeah, all the new systems are going to have some good content out this year.

Looking through the PS3 release list, though, there is a definite lack of any solid release dates for games, most seem to still indicate "TBA 2007", and usually that ends up meaning a big portion of them being 2008 titles.

I have also been surprised at the lack of announced RPGs for PS3, something that has always been a strong area for Playstation systems. Right now, it seems there has been more of them announced for 360. If I were to personally buy a PS3, I want more solid release dates - and a heck of a lot more RPGs.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Actually, RR7 is an upscaled (otherwise actually downgraded) version of RR6 - very little (if any) new stuff

Virtua Figher and Resi are both multiplatform :rolleyes: And there's a lot of speculation that MGS is, too

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Technically the first 2 (VF5/RE5) are multi-platform too ;)

But yeah the PS3 should at least have some very good games this year. (I hope)

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/12/graphics_resist.html
    http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/gears-of-war/744635p1.html

I don't see anything wrong with things being multi-platform. Of course, if something is designed with a certain set of hardware in mind the whole time it should run better.

I've heard the RR7 isn't worth buying if you have RR6, but I don't so I did. I'm just glad to play a 1080p racing game. RR7 looks great but can't hold a candle to the Gran Turismo demo.

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Oh I see, well the rest of the list still applies and thankfully those are still multi platform and not 360 exclusives altogether... :p

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The first link was a pretty good article, although I completely agree with the first comment; he made some ignorant assumptions that were completely unfounded.

The second link seemed good as well, and mentions at the end that most of the framerate hits seemed to be during cutscenes, which I would agree.

There is still nothing to say it ever dips below 30 fps. A drop from, say, 45 fps down to 30 could be noticable, however. I haven't personally noticed any directly during gameplay, and I'm fairly certain you can change the speed of your aiming reticule.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I never said it was bad being multiplatform - he said that those 2 weren't, which is wrong

13. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

I can attest that it isn't seemingly true, despite what they say. Cutscenes are guaranteed to be choppy on my system, as if rendering at about 10-15 fps, depending on the angle, and what is in the background. The gameplay is very smooth, but I have seen a couple slowdowns towards the end of Act 4, which could be easily related to loading. While Epic likely met their target, by their definition, I almost find it inexcusable to make the cutscenes hard to watch while the gameplay is smooth. It smacks of a lack of final polish, IMO. Great game otherwise.

As for the PS3 content pickle... I am finding the PS3 equivilent of Arcade quite nice. Sudoku, Lemmings, and a couple action games are all that is there, unfortunately, but the prices are cheap, and the quality of the games pretty good. RPGs aren't going to be hitting the PS3 anytime soon, at least not JRPGs. Translation tends to take about a year for a Sony or a Square Enix title, so there will be that lag for anything that hits Japan. That said, PS2 RPGs are still hitting the market, with Rogue Galaxy from Level 5 appearing on Jan 30th. I can say confidently that the PS3's backwards compatibility is a far sight better than the 360's, BUT, if you have an HDTV, there is a sort of bug in the PS3's back compat right now where PS2 games that don't support progressive (and are 3D) don't display quite right over HDMI or Component.

14. darkwing macrumors 65816

Saying "not dropping below 30 was our goal" is like Apple saying "the temperature on the MBP staying below 300˚ is our goal." GOW runs at 720p, right? Well, that's 60 fps. There's no excuse for the game not keeping up with it.

Even Resistance isn't perfect. Multiplayer can drop to 40 they said in an article interviewing a developer (before the game's release) but this was due to the way data comes in. They added parts to the scenery that can skip updates and things in order to improve it. However, it's as smooth as can be when I play at 720p and I've never noticed a slowdown. Even when I got my butt kicked last night by a never-ending wave of guys with augers who left little room to hide.

Didn't mean to imply you suggested that. I guess my fault was quoting you in my reply. The whole argument over what is exclusive and what isn't is what I find silly. I'd love to play Halo 3 but I'll never give MS any of my money, so I won't be playing it. Is it going to be the best game ever made for the 360? Probably. It won't make me buy it though. Do people really buy consoles for exclusives?

Well, maybe. I'll be getting a Wii once Smash Bros Brawl is out. Nothing else looks fun for me until then. I haven't really enjoyed or had fun with Zelda since the SNES one. I always get 30-50% through them and get bored. Just like Square's games.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The waiting is the hardest part...

Throwing this question out there:

While you're waiting, can't you just play PS2 and PSOne games on it as well as your DVDs and Bluray movies?

I'm thinking of picking one up as well (if I can ever find one here in Chicagoland...)

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

A dip from 45 to 30 isn't as noticable as it is in the cutscenes. Realize that broadcast TV and film are 30 and 24 fps, respectively. Film doesn't appear choppy to the human eye, and to percieve the choppy display, the framerate has to dip to about 15 fps or less, even for just a half-second. Then again, their animations could be the ones running at 15 fps, making their 30 fps claim true. Either way, it isn't a polished experience when this issue is just right there in your face every time you get to put down the controller.

Also, release that games like this have an FPS lock placed on them so the framerate doesn't jump around, and to help keep in sync with the display. A game like Gears will never display at 45 fps, because it was locked to display 30 fps at most.

You can, and that is what I am doing, especially when I still have Disgaea, Bully, and Rogue Galaxy to finish playing through (or get, in the case of Rogue Galaxy). Being able to mess around with Blu-Ray without paying 800$ for a player, or using another HDMI port on my TV is a bonus as well.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Buy R:Fall of Man as its a good game....download GT4 demo, play that...thats about it for now.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Depends - if it has lots of exclusives, then probably yes (like my need of a PS3 for FFXIII, FFXIII-V and Heavenly Sword... :()

[​IMG]
    :D

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You might have Hz mixed up with FPS. 720p @60Hz isn't the same as 60 FPS.

RFoM doesn't seem to be pushing as many effects as GoW and it's a different style of game (fast FPS vs tactical TPS). They get compared because they are the "big" games for the systems right now, and are both "shooters" despite being a completely different kind of shooter.

That said, 360 won't be seeing a serious shooter until, what... UT2K7 or Halo 3?

That's pretty much why I buy a system, actually. If you aren't counting exclusives then it doesn't matter which system you get. If someone didn't care about FF13, MGS4, etc... there would really be no point in getting a PS3 over a cheaper system.

I bought my Nintendo systems for Zelda (although I did pick up other software). That's a big draw with Nintendo for me, they have a lot of exclusive content you just can't get anywhere else.

I bought Xbox primarily for Halo (and hoping it would be the new "Sega" system, thought Sega might make a lot of games for it exclusively).

I bought my 360 for Halo 3, my Xbox had broke and I had sold off the controllers, I was going to get back into playing Halo 2 with friends and thought it made more sense to put the money into a 360.

So basically, that's 4 paragraphs that say "Yes, people definitely buy consoles for exclusives, almost exclusively."

20. darkwing macrumors 65816

21. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

22. darkwing macrumors 65816

Well, I did say I'm going to buy a Wii for Brawl. I just didn't know how many others really care. I guess with the exception of Smash Bros, Nintendo's content is all old and outdated to me. The main reason I bought a ps3 was the 1080p support anyway. I'll probably play MGS4 and will even get into MGS3 when they fix the ps2 jaggie issue. I didn't play all the way through MGS2 because Raiden was a joke and the whole oil tanker think stunk. I got to the part where I had to diffuse the bombs and just quit.

I won't play FF13 because Square hasn't made a decent game since Chrono Trigger. I gave up on their products after I couldn't stomach FFX. Or Crystal Chronicles. Or LOM.

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I got a PS2 for ICO. I got Shadow of the Colossus later. (FFX was alright, I need to get Okami and FFXII).

I'm going to buy a 360 for Assassin's Creed. **** Halo 3.

I'm going to buy a PS3 as soon as Fumito Ueda directs a game for it, price cut or no.

I'm about to buy a DS lite for Final Fantasy VI Advance hitting the streets next month. (Phoenix Wright, Brain Age, and several others make for a good argument for the system as well).

So... yes, people do buy consoles for exclusives.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

MGS2 was pretty good though Raiden did suck as a character, the game still had an intriguing storyline and pretty good gameplay.

As far as Square games go... I feel the same way and the same about most RPGs released this gen, I can't simply enjoy them like I did on the SNES, though I just bought Final Fantasy XII, I haven't played it though but everyone says its awesome, this is the last Final Fantasy (and RPG) I'll try, if I don't like it then I'll be done with Square and JRPGs forever but from little I've played and seen it seems like a kickass game.

25. darkwing macrumors 65816

Check out Tales of Symphonia for gamecube and Tales of the Abyss for PS2. Both are great games, but Abyss has some nasty programming that makes for bad overworld framerates. :( I love the Tales games mainly because combat is so outrageously fun. Just imported Tales of Eternia for my PSP from Europe. (in English)

I'm like you. SNES was the golden age of RPG gaming by far. Ever play Lufia? Both games had me in tears at the end they were so powerful and emotional. Too bad the GBC game was utter crap and the GBA game wasn't much better. :(