So I just got hypnotized on stage...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Jan 28, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I just got back from a hypnotism show by James Mapes a pretty big name guy in the hypnotism world, who does a lot of hypnotism-as-entertainment shows for colleges and universities, as well as motivational speaking for big corporations.

Including this year I've gone to the show for 4 years, and it has never had a huge impact on me. He starts out with a short background, then gets right to the point, biting a lemon, the sight of which sends people who have been hypnotized in his shows before sprinting up to the stage...where they fall asleep.

After the quick demo, he involves the whole audience, doing relaxation exercises, deep breathing and work with the imagination. When everyone is sufficiently relaxed, you're supposed to visualize a capsule of extremely strong glue on your outstretched palm, and then crush it between your hands....gluing them together.

Having your hands glued together like that is a stage of hypnosis...and for anyone who has never experienced it before, it's insane. The last 3 times I've seen the show, nothing has really happened, but this year my hands did not come apart. Honestly I thought I'd be able to separate them whenever I wanted...but I wanted to go up on stage for a few minutes, so I didn't try to separate them.

Once I got up on stage I decided that I'd loosen my hands a bit, as they were squeezed really tight and starting to hurt a bit......not possible. My hands, and those of the 30-odd people around me, didn't come apart. At that point I was getting a bit nervous, being that my fingers didn't work.

We went through a few more exercises on stage, holding a helium balloon in one hand and a rock in the other hand, and eliminated a few more people from the group, and finally he asked us all to 'sleep' on our feet. That's where it got weird.

There was no "ok, he said sleep, so it's time to sleep" thoughts, instead, instantaneously, as if his words were our thoughts, we all fell into a hypnotic slumber...still very conscious of our surroundings, but in a sort of dream world, unable to move.

Every year there is a faker, someone who follows all the instructions, but is actually just pretending to be hypnotized.

At first I thought I was the faker. I was thinking "damn, what the hell am I doing faking this, I hate people who do that", until I realized that when he asked me to do something, I had no control over whether or not I did it...I really thought that I was faking it, but when I took a moment to consider it, I simply obeyed his words, without a thought as to what I was doing.

He sent us on a space journey, increasing and decreasing the temperature, making things stink really badly, making our palms itch, making us laugh hysterically. The strangest thing is that it was all so real, yet I was conscious of what was happening at the same time. For example, when our "spaceships" launched, I felt as if I was being crushed into my seat....yet I still was aware of the fact that I was on stage in front of 700 people. When I was, say, asleep receiving instructions, I'd consider the fact that I could just stand up and walk away...and think to myself that I had to be faking it, because I could have gotten up and left......except that when I tried to stand up my legs didn't move. :eek:

Anyway, probably the strangest thing about it is that now I have a suggestion left in my mind, so that next time I see him bite a lemon on stage, I'll be compelled to sprint up and fall asleep. :D

The other really strange thing is that I wasn't nervous at all...I pretended I was a lion, breakdanced, did ballet and did the twist in front of 700 people, and really it didn't do anything to me. All inhibitions were gone. Normally I would never have been able to do any of that stuff on stage, but somehow I just forgot about all the people, and focused on the moment. Sounds really strange unless you've been there.

Has anyone else seen him before? His show is awesome...both entertaining and informative about the powers of hypnotism. I'm also really interested in trying some self-hypnosis stuff now....I woke up from it feeling incredible....relaxed, warm and fuzzy, while at the same time extremely aware of everything that was going on around me.

My apologies for the long post :eek:....it was a wild experience.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Always wanted to try this... glad to hear that I would not be alone in believing.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It would be fun to try, but I don't know if I could live it down afterwards, especially if somebody had a camcorder.

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I've always wanted to hear a real story from someone who had been hypnotized. You're story is really interesting and atypical for reactions. Very cool.
    -Chasen

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I saw Frank Santos back in high school. It was hilarious, and it wasn't even his usual R stuff.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But when you're hypnotised, aren't you supposed to NOT remember anything that has happened? Aren't you supposed to sit there like a vegetable until he snaps his fingers or something?

Anyway, I definitely need to give it a try one day.

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I'd be quite disturbed at leaving the show with suggestions still planted in my mind, no matter how harmless they seem, in case they resurface at inappropriate times. Is he actually allowed to do this, or does he have to clear all the traces out before you leave?

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Good point. What if you see a man biting a lemon while standing in the middle of a busy street, and with no control of your own, you run up to the man and instantly fall asleep?

(in a soft voice)

On The Brink, on the count of three, you will take off all your clothes, give me all the money in your wallet, walk home naked, and cook bacon with the heat turned on HIGH. Add some extra oil in there as well. It'll increase the amount of oil that jumps onto your skin.

One......two......th....

9. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Not entirely. At the end of the show he told us that we could remember everything we had done perfectly clearly. I didn't remember, or even think about, anything that had happened previously in the show during the show itself, however.

For example, when we were world-class break dancers, I had no recollection of the fact that 1 minute before that I had been the best ballet dancer in the world, but after it was all over, I remember it all as it happened.

In the way of the post hypnotic suggestion (the lemon biting thing), he laid down a few ground rules as part of the suggestion:

1) It must be him and only him, James Mapes.
    2) You must be in good health.
    3) He must be on stage at a hypnotism show.

I'm not worried I'll be compelled to run to the nearest stage and fall asleep if I ever see someone bite a lemon, however I will be sitting in the aisle seat next time I go to a show. :D

I've found quite a bit of information about hypnotism online. Here's something off the ACSH website that explains the "sleep" state better:

It is true that I never felt as if I was doing something against my will...I was having fun and it was an enjoyable process.

From the Wikipedia:

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Wow. I didn't even know there was such a thing.... :eek:

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Hmmm... I would go if he said something like: "You are the best guitar player in the world" or, "you can speak all languages fluently"
    and then I went home and read an entire guitar or language book and woke up the next day able to order a guitar from someone in italy.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, that's creepy.

And if I were ever in that situation I would start to panic, and if I wasn't at all concerned, that would just make me freak out even more. :eek:

13. camphorsunrise macrumors newbie

My mom asked me to go to one of these things a few weeks ago, but the thought of someone gaining subconscious control over me in any way kind of freaks me out. It's really cool to hear that it works on some people though.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Tom DeLuca used to come to my college (I think he's been there at least ten years running). I never participated in the hypnosis, but it was quite entertaining and never the same as his previous shows. It was always the most well attended event at my school...at least 75% of the student body shows up for the event.