So. I just got my 15-inch MBP back from AppleCare.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thefunkymunky, May 23, 2006.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Hey everyone,

I sent my MBP into Apple because I had the infamous whine, screen buzz, excessive heat issues. I got it back today and this is what they told me.

Apple have replaced the logic board with a newer revision "D" board but I still have a slight whine when running on battery. I don't think they have replaced the inverter for the screen buzz as I still have a slight buzz when the brightness is on anything bar off and full.

The heat they said is normal and happens to all MBP so I'm guessing they just applied the thermal paste according to the manual when replacing the logic board. How do I actually find out if they have replaced the board or not.

A few other things too. Should I reinstall OSX on this machine. Reason being.

My serial is not longer displayed in the "About This Mac" box. It just says "Serial Number: SystemSeumb".

I have and OSX and XP partitioned drive. Now, the XP drive is no longer listed as an option at startup. When I run Boot Camp it says my firmware needs updating. I've tried reinstalling the 1.0.1 firmware but it wont work. I shutdown, reboot holding the power button, wait for the light to flash, let go, the screen flashes up for a split second with the updating progress bar at the bottom of the screen but then the machine just reboots. When I try to go and use Boot Camp again, it just says I need to update my firmware. Any ideas why?

Thanks, Nick.
  2. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    I have just spent 54 minutes on the phone again to AppleCare. My MBP is going in for the second time to see if they can repair. I did ask about replacement, but they wouldnt, saying they need to have another go at fixing the problems. WTF? I also asked about a refund, they wouldnt do that either.

After the first repair, they replaced the logic board (which they didnt need to do as I only complained about screen buzz and heat).

However after the repair;

Screen buzz is still there.
    Right fan not working (they may have not reconnected the fan and/or the thermal sensors after they replaced the logic board)
    Hardware error "4SNS/1/40000000: TGOP"
    Exccessive heat worse than before. Cannot hold machin in hands and bottom of case is starting to buckle (probably due to the fan issue above).
    Cannot upgrade firmware, even though I have older firmware logic board.

Apart from the screen buzz and heat, I originally didnt have the other issues.

Anyway. Its going in for a second time. If the problems arent fixed they will look at replacement. Will keep you posted.

3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Good luck - keep us up to date.
  4. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    I've had almost the exact same problem, with the exception of the boot camp situation. Mine seemed to have come back from repair with the whines having become worse. Not only that, I've started encountering the fuzzy/static screen when waking my MBP from sleep (this only happens occasionally, but nevertheless) which forces me to remove and replace the battery for it to start working properly again. I called Apple again today and they gave me the run around telling me "since you have the extended warranty, Apple will stand by your product," and they kept repeating that line as well as avoiding the fuzzy/static screen. And then they finally asked if I wanted to set up a repair. Which, after they had kept my MBP for 2 weeks last time when they said I'd have it by the end of the week, I told them no. I can't be without it for that long again, especially not if they aren't able to repair it.

And possibly the most annoying thing is that last night I realized there was a nice scratch on the lid of my MBP. I've posted about it here

Edit: I forgot to add that I also received the error: 4SNS/1/40000000:'TmOP'

Could someone please PM me that well known email address and/or the fax number.
  5. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    If it is not displaying your S/N something is seriously wrong! Take it back immediatel.
  6. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    I should also note that unlike a lot of those who've had their logic board replaced, my Serial Number till shows up like normal. And it would be extremely difficult for me to take mine back to the store, partly because I got it back in March, and partly because the two closest stores are both around 3 1/2 hours away.
  7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Sounds like it's an issue with this new Rev. D logic board they put in. :S
  8. regre7 macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Threads like this make me miss reading about the (many) problems iGary used to post about all the time. I'm not glad that he's not having problems anymore, but....

Never mind.
  9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The serial number disappearing is normal after the logic board has been replaced.

There is no way that I know of to get the number back into the About This Mac window. Its a function of the logic board, that is the least of your concerns.
  10. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    The 'executive relations' customer service people answered my (you know) e-mail the morning after it was sent and had my problem taken care of right away.
  11. violapicola macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2007
    facing same problem :(

my left fan is not working after Apple replaced the logic board. Hardware error "4SNS/1/40000000:TCOP"
    I called AppleCare, they said that they had already replaced the logic board and left fan, but the left fan still not working, they can't fixed it! omg... they didn't told me about that yesterday... My country's really lack of skillful technician (note : i'm Indonesian).... :'(
    what should i do...?

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

Jun 16, 2007
    Call and cuss them out! You rightfully paid money for AppleCare and they need to bring your laptop back to factory spec. Speak to a manager or something.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Isn't that synonymous with a Logic Board replacement? because apparently after most logic board replacements the technicians forget or bypass the process of re-encoding the serial number onto the new board.

As for the other issues....yeah i'd definately send it back in