so i just got to drive a...

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Sep 9, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, I spent the weekend in upstate NY at Watkin's Glen in the fingerlakes region, where they held the annual vintage car festival. Had a great time, loads of beautiful old cars, but for me, the highlight, was getting to sit in an AC Cobra for the first time. Thing is, I also drove it. For those of you that know abut this classic motor, you'll know just how cool that is, and for those that don't, shame on you ;)

I took a couple of pics (below), unfortunately I don't have any of me in it...had it up to 120 without even realising it :eek: and there was tons left in it too. what a car.

So what about everyone else? what's the car you'd most like to drive (not neccessarily own) and what have you driven????

2. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

mmm that must have been a fun ride....i like them in blue better but thats just me.

4. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Re: so i just got to drive a...

Not really into cars, motorcycle guy myself<can't wait for the 04 yamaha R1, 180hp!>

but! I'd love to drive one of these:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pac725ttls1y.asp

Love corvettes, I've driven my dads 1981 Corvette. Not as fast as my car, but its fun driving it around, getting so many looks and compliments. :D

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I want to drive a Subaru Impreza WRX STi. WRC Blue. 6 speed. Mmm...

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

dude...that's a SWEET ride! :D

so how was the acceleration?? pin u in the seat? :D

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

dude! you drove a Cobra!:eek: you're one lucky guy! i would love to get behind the wheel of one of them.

i haven't had the chance to drive many cars... well, i'm only 18. but i'd jump at the chance to drive a WRX STi, or a Skyline GT-R. any of the crazy fast, maxed-out Japanese cars would do me. :D

but i'm more of a motorbike person. should have a bike in a couple of years time... but after my CBR 250 (need to have a 250 for something like two year on a provisional licesse) i'd upgrade to a big V-Twin. i just love the sound they make. first i'll probalby get a Honda VTR1000 SP2, and evenually a Ducati 999! Booyah!! :D

i also wouldn't mind having a ride of a good 2-stroke road bike, like a Aprillia RS 250. they look fast. :D

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Saw (and heard) a Ducati in the city yesterday. Wow.

It reminded me of the fact that those things are, hands down, the sexiest thing with two wheels.

As far as four wheels go, I'd have to opt for a seat in a Formula car as my dream drive.

9. chadfromdallas macrumors member

bleh, lol Ducks have so many problems, beautiful bikes, but unreliable.

back to the topic, Was the Cobra all original? Wonder how much its worth :eek:

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just like Italian women. :eek: Like I said, the sexiest thing on two leg... er, wheels.

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

at the beginning of the summer i had a nice experience with a friend's dad's mercedes 500 CL. that was something special to ride in, let alone drive. ever experience air-conditioned leather seats when it's like 95 degrees outside? you should give it a shot sometime!

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've experienced leather seats that were not air conditioned when it was 95...now that is not fun.

13. iGav macrumors G3

*Alert Alert... a "Made For" iGav thread*

I remember saying you were hoping to drive one bud... so did you try the $ trick?? So I understand you put a $ on the dash, and then with a passenger by your side, you nail the throttle and they're supposed to catch the $.... :eek: :p :p apparently the drivers always gets to keep his $... heh-heh!

Most fantastically mind warping car I've driven is undoubtedly the Audi Avant RS6, I've waxed rhapsodic about this car on these boards before, but it's acceleration is truely comical, and so I've read, Audi says it definitely has a speed limiter to 155mph, but no one has yet actually found it... even when the dial has despatched the late 180's....

I've been in a Ferrari F40 (passenger) around Silverstone which was cool, the noise and heat is fantastic and the acceleration relentless!

The hardest accelerating car I've ever had the honour of riding in, was a Bi-Turbo Metro 6R4 rallycross car, with 60 coming up in under 2 seconds and the ton in a couple more... they are insanely fast... even side ways at Brands...

I'd love to drive/own an Audi Rosemeyer.. :D sadly it's only a concept car, and is likely to stay that way... shame on Audi!

I'm still interested to see what the Veyron can do. So I've been reading in the latest auto press, Bugatti are having to soften it up, because the cars alittle naughty in the handling stakes... they also have problems keeping the car on the ground nearing it's top speed....

So I understand they're releasing 2 models, one which can ONLY do 224mph and the 252 model that they have to produce now, because they've been bragging about it's numbers for years now... so they'll have egg on their faces if they can't do the numbers!

I still think an Enzo will take it around the 'Ring' though... ;)

14. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

Eye ... oh the accelleration was mad, i had to make sure i was hanging on tight to the wheel. Never even used 1st gear, there was no point, 1st in that thing is just for lighting up the tyres heh.

chadfromdallas, i can't remember what exactly it was but it's not an all original, it's about as close as you can get though, it's still worth over $100,000 mind.

iGAV ... lmfao ... blindin' title, and yer not wrong either, made for iGAV thread haha.
    the 6R4 must've been hella scary, s'what it's all about eh? ;) I'm thinking I'll go upstate again in a month, the guy who owns it also has a blue 427 and there's a whole bunch of wineries up there, it's also harvest time soon, so i think we're gonna drive around the beautiful countryside in the two cobras :D . is that a piece for EVO mag or what!? take my new EOS D300 with me for sure (if it's out by then).

Then, when I get a chance, I'll head out to his bro's place in Arizona and take his two vipers for a spin (not literally i hope) and an e-type possibly. he also has a bunch of classic ducattis, moto guzzis, nortons etc etc :eek: He's planning a trip to blighty next year for goodwood, and he'll take one of the vipers with him, i'll try n' hook you up with a ride if ya want ;)

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

welllllll, let me see, I loved the Lambo Diablo I was driving last week, belonged to the guy whose PRIVATE HELICOPTER I was buzzing around in...:D :D :D

You want a thrill? Get in a chopper on a flat take off, nose down at 45 degrees, hanging off the straps, balls to the wall. I've experienced nothing like it. Man, when I grow up I want to fly fast choppers;) :D

Drove my mates Seat Leon Cupra R the week before, that's a sweet little machine for the money.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When I was living in Connecticut, I worked for a guy who collected sports cars. So I had a chance to drive the '73 Ferrari Dino and a Porsche 912 - cool stuff and that was over 17 years ago....

Nice pics, glad you had fun!

D

17. iGav macrumors G3

I used to love Rally Cross back in the late 80's early 90's and a friend of a friends dad who was chums with Will Gollop, who used to run a biTurbo Metro 6R4 with about 750BHP maybe alittle more... and we were at Brands one day, and got a ride in it...

Basically it was an ex-Group B rallycar with about 200BHP more than it had in its rallying hey day! huge power, in a stripped out, 4WD Metro was just insane... it could do 60 in a slice under 2 seconds, and the ton not long after that.

Obviously it was really fast, but it was the driver that really made it.... amazing car control right up there with McRae and Burns in cars with over twice the BHP as a WRC!!

Bud, I was just about to get excited when you mentioned a EOS D300, I was thinking.... "blimey, not heard of this car before, must be something dead slinky".... :eek: :p :p and I find out it's a camera... heh-heh!!

WinterMute, the only chopper I've ever ridden was the one from Raleigh in the 80's... But downhill, I reckon it's quite a similar feelin' to a heli-chopper, especially with the 45% nose down because of that little front wheel! heh! man that was crazy in itself, especially with those brakes that couldn't stop jack in the dry, never mind downhill in the wet!! :eek: :p :p

D, the Dino, very fine car that... 17 years ago... man you must have been in your early teens then?? whoah... I bet you felt too cool, cruising the street in that puppy....! ;) :)

Useless fact time... the Dino, was never actually badged as a Ferrari...

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Re: Re: so i just got to drive a...

I don't care to much for the corvette styling when faced between a Cobra and a Corvette, but the power is insane. Motor Trend tested a Lingenfelter Corvette a while back, 0-60 mph in 2.1 seconds :eek::eek::eek: I'm not sure if I would be able to decide between the two, maybe a lingenfelter corvette chassis/engine with a cobra body. w00t!

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Re: Re: Re: so i just got to drive a...

I've been to Lingenfelter's before. They are about 30 minutes from where I live. Pretty amazing stuff there.