so I just installed an invisible shield....

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bill4588, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

...and right now it's not looking so hot. Everything lines up but there seems to be fingerprints and little spots between the shield and ipod. I've taken it off and re-applied it many times in an attempt to get the fingerprints and stuff off but it didn't help. is it supposed to look bad for the first day or two? or should I just take it off now and try to get a replacement/ or get a regular case?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if the fingerprints don't come off, they are probably on the sticky side of the shield and therefore (at least in my experience) won't come off. i'd suggest going for a real case - Radtech makes some thin sleeves that aren't too expensive. i haven't had much luck with the Invisible Shield.

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

dang...i was having such high hopes for this thing too...I already have an Agent 18, but the only reason I got that was because I thought I would also have the invisible shield. I hear that lint and crap gets in the agent 18 really easily and scratches the ipod....so now I'm feeling screwed lol. Are those Radtech cases made out of a cloth-type material? I've felt stuff like that before and don't like it :(

4. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

so i just took it off again because after viewing it under direct sunlight I could see a LOT of lint (and I also turned it on and the screen was horrible). I think I'm just gonna leave the back cover on as well as the click wheel cover. would the agent 18 be good enough or should I get another case?

5. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Well, the question to ask yourself is, do you want your iPod a little bit scratched or not at all.
    Add a little personality and style take off all the cases, IMHO they are all hideous.

6. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i dont mind if there are a few light scratches but anything more than that and I'd freak out. So I need a case of some sort, and I'd like to have a case that wont end up scratching the ipod and doesnt add a lot of bulk.

7. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Eh.... What's the point of "protecting" your iPod if your going to hide it underneath a case anyway? Eh.... Thats my logic.

these are OK...

EDIT: sorry, pianoman already posted this...

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I've had my 5G iPod with an Invisible Shield since the day I got it, and aside from a few of the small side flaps (the new IS's don't even have these anymore) coming up, it still looks great.

As long as you are very careful when applying the IS, it should look gorgeous when you're done. An IS was the only option for me because I love how slim and sexy the iPod is, so there was no way I was going to put it in a case.

9. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i was pretty careful when i applied it (took about 25 min), but having 4 cats and 2 dogs does not help. apparently there's a lot of lint and tiny hairs floating around my house and they got on the sticky side of the shield. I've tried cleaning the shield in a bowl of water but that didnt help. im feeling kinda depressed right now :(

10. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

The invisible shield rocks...I love mine. Try to apply it one more time...wet the back of it and clean the lint as best you can...perhaps under a faucet. Also clean off the iPod. Get it on there...it will look much better in a few days. If you don't like it then, you can always take it off, and... DONT TURN YOUR iPod ON UNTIL AT LEAST A DAY!

11. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

wow! running it through the sink really helped! I re-applied it and now it looks amazing! I also added a little more water to the IS when I put it on which made positioning it a lot easier. I was really bummed an hour or so ago...now I can't wait to use it tomorrow! thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it! :)

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Excellent! I'm glad it looks better. :)

Heh heh.. I waited about 90 minutes before using mine. Didn't have any problems, but I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

13. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Sweet! I'm glad you got it going. Did you put a few drops of dish soap in the water? My instructions said to and that helped it move around nicely. IS is the best protection I've ever seen.

14. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Great! Glad my advice of putting it under the facet worked. I know I was having similar problems as you, but the work paid off in the end...it looks amazing!