So I just killed my mouse...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AoWolf, May 22, 2005.

1. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

To make a long story short my once beautiful IntelliMouse Optical is dead. This being the third one I have killed I rather get something else. So here is what I need from a mouse.

Right click

Optical

At least 4 buttons and a scroll wheel they also need to be easy to acces as I will be using them about 1 every two minuets each. (world of warcraft hot buttons)

Durable and iBook friendly (meaning nothing pointing out more then a normal mouse or covering the usb ports)

Any ideas would be great and also I would love to know what not to buy.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Logitech MX500 or MX510.....oh yeah!

3. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

So what is the real difference between the 500 and the 510? And does any of the software it comes with do anything worth while?

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

theres also the new mx518 (successor to the 510) that has much improved tracking, better software tuning and some other new features. it's also driven down the price of the 510 to ~$30 if you order from newegg or someone like that

5. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

The web site says no mac support for the mx518 :(

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

well you could always opt for the mx1000 (laser)

which has no problems with OSX

7. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

It does look cool but I am little worried as to the easy of use of the side buttons.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

same with mx900 but that works...guess its worth a shot? perhaps its just the advanced tuning stuff that doesnt work

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have the 510, its a good mouse, but for me it was a little big. I have small hands. Otherwise i like it.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....even though Logitech does not officially have Mac support for some of their USB mice you'll find that using USB Overdrive instead of Logitech's software is better anyway.....oh yeah!

11. Church macrumors regular

Church

i have the 510, and it works great as a gaming mouse. I also like how it's colored, which makes it even cooler. Oh, and thanks logitech for not providing real drivers for all of your products so we can use them to their full extent. (I have a dual action gamepad, and i regret spending that 30 dollars because it's only been out of it's box twice)

edit- (i also tried usb overdrive and it didn't work well on my computer [emac 1ghz], but that was a while ago, maybe i should try again. <8\ )

12. damax452 macrumors member