So I just rebuilt my iMac G5...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edesignuk, Apr 16, 2006.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...and it does feel faster.

Back in the days of Windows I knew for fact that a clean install would speed things up no end, but since moving to X all those years ago reinstalling the OS hasn't been something I've done just for the hell of it, only at major upgrade times (10.1->10.2->10.3 etc).

My iMac G5 is a rev A 1.8GHz w/ 1GB RAM, this was feeling quite a bit slower than my AlBook G4 1.5GHz w/ 1.25GB RAM which I thought was odd. So, only one thing for it, rebuild the bugger! I'm pleased to report it does seem to have done the trick.

So yeah, um, not really much point to all this except to say if your Mac is running slow, don't believe the hype. A reinstall of X on your Mac can speed things up just like in the Windows world :eek:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I agree Jamie - I have done it a couple of times in a year - this things gets really heavily rocked on a daily basis which puts files everywhere and even DiskWarrior, permissions - you name it - can't help.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you feeling teh snappy? :D

I loved starting over again with a clean install of Tiger on a new disk with everything all nicely backed up.

Did you do an archive and install or the full malarky?

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't really see the point of an archive install to be honest, seems there's a good chance that whatever is causing the slow down will be put back with this option. I only ever do clean installs.

The great thing about a clean install on Mac vs Windows is the ease that you can install all your apps again. For the most part it's just a case of drag and drop from the backup I took before wiping it clean.

Now I'm just going through all my data to see what's worth keeping and what's junk. No doubt will save myself a tonne of disk space, I'm sure I was using a butt load with stuff I will never look at again.

I am feeling teh snappy. w00t! :D

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah, I need to do a reinstall on my iBook - been some problems with it as of late, unfortunately.

I've only done it once in 9 months or so I've had it. :eek:

6. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I love that "lived in" feel that my computers get after a few months. I've reinstalled both my PM and PB in the last few months - which was a bit of a mistake. Neither feel like home yet!!

Nevermind...

Reinstalls on OS X are less necessary that Windows - but you still feel teh snappeh :p

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly. My iMac (bought in May) won't be getting a reinstall until Leopard but the Dell I bought a few months back already needs one. Windows gets so much slow down. :(

8. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Maybe the wrong thread, but the mention of saving disk space reminded me.... when I upgraded from 10.4.5>10.4.6, I suddenly had 2GB of extra empty space! I was really worried something important had got trashed, but a week later and I haven't noticed anything missing yet.

Ummm.... OK, so I have no point either... Maybe the right thread after all! :D

The Void
    Look, all I want is Quicktime, with playlists and the VLC engine. Is that so much to ask?

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well thats good, I don't think I will do it before leopard, then there will be a clone and a full clean install ;)

10. imacintel macrumors 68000

Even when I empty the recycle bin things feel faster

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm so with you there. I've only had my Mac mini a couple of weeks, if that, but already I'd hate it if I had to format. You can't beat months or years of crafting a computer into what is essentially a comfortable pair of slippers :D

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

My PBs just had it's 1st birthday and though I haven't really noticed any slowdown I think I'm going to do a bit of a clean out and reinstall just to keep everything nice and smooth.

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I have the exact same iMac G5, it really does help to re-install OSX sometimes. I did it 2-3 months ago, and haven't gotten a slow-down just yet. Sooner or later I'll do it again, it's just so time consuming (downloading updates, install apps).

14. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I completely agree with you. There have been times where I have had to reinstall OS X, and I hate doing it, because I have to make everything the way I want it to be again, and I always feel that I never get it quite right.

While it is a good idea in theory, I think the only time I would ever do a clean install is when there is a new 10.x update to OS X. I will consider doing it when Leopard is released, but I can't decide for sure. It will probably depend on how sweet the new features are, and if I will be willing to take the time to go through the entire process of backing everything up.