Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
as many of you know, i'm a recent film school graduate (well, not THAT recent... '03). i studied animation and while i mainly do 3D stuff, i do some title animation stuff as well.

a couple years ago, one of my former professors hired me to do some animation scene scanning and timing, as well as some title animation for a project he was working on.

a few months later it was completed, and i went to new york for a private screening. the film was to be broadcast on bravo or cinemax or hbo, at some point in 2006.

last night i was watching the oscars with my girlfriend. they started announcing the best animated short nominees. i nearly fainted when i saw the film i worked on was nominated. i nearly crapped myself when i saw that it won. my girlfriend and i were shocked and just didn't know what the heck happened. it was surreal. still is. on the one hand, i played a relatively small part in a film that required many many talented people to get it done. on the other hand, i actually have a credit on an oscar winning film!

needless to say, my former professor is john canemaker, creator, director and producer of "the moon and the son: an imagined conversation"

i'm still a little in shock.

anyways, time to update the resume... hah

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Congrats, that's awesome! Not many people can say they've had something to do with a film, let alone one that was nominated for an Oscar, let alone one that won an Oscar!

Congrats! That must make you feel on top of the world! :cool:

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Congratulations - I'm dead impressed. Will you be able to give your former professor a ring and actually go and see the statue you helped win?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
jelloshotsrule said:
as many of you know, i'm a recent film school graduate (well, not THAT recent... '03). i studied animation and while i mainly do 3D stuff, i do some title animation stuff as well.

a couple years ago, one of my former professors hired me to do some animation scene scanning and timing, as well as some title animation for a project he was working on.

a few months later it was completed, and i went to new york for a private screening. the film was to be broadcast on bravo or cinemax or hbo, at some point in 2006.

last night i was watching the oscars with my girlfriend. they started announcing the best animated short nominees. i nearly fainted when i saw the film i worked on was nominated. i nearly crapped myself when i saw that it won. my girlfriend and i were shocked and just didn't know what the heck happened. it was surreal. still is. on the one hand, i played a relatively small part in a film that required many many talented people to get it done. on the other hand, i actually have a credit on an oscar winning film!

needless to say, my former professor is john canemaker, creator, director and producer of "the moon and the son: an imagined conversation"

i'm still a little in shock.

anyways, time to update the resume... hah

Congratulations :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's friggin great j-lo! Congrats :D

So any chance of viewing this film anywhere (one thing I don't like about the short animation category is that they never seem to be available unless they're pixar or for another movie).

D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
That's amazingly cool. It would be fun to see if your former professor would let you see the Oscar in person. Get a picture!

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Tres cool! Congratulations! You think the Academy could make you your very own Oscar statue???

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hah. thanks all.

like i said, it's weird because it was a while ago, and i didn't play a huge role in it. of course, i'm still proud to have been a part, and it's more than a lot can say for sure.

what's funniest is that i work a temp office job, not utilizing my artistic skills in the least. my family has joked that i should call the people i interviewed with for a tv job to let them know that "i won".. hahah

anderson- it will be on tv at some point, probably cinemax or bravo. sometime in the next few months. i'll update you when i find out, and can describe the seconds that i worked on. hahaha

oh, and i definitely plan to contact my professor, at least to congratulate him...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's very impressive, jsr. Congratulations!

They forgot to invite you onstage, but let's hear your acceptance speech anyway. We won't turn up the orchestra music unless you talk too long.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
cha, thats no big deal.

just kiddin mate, awesome news :) I bet it feels surreal! Enjoy the moment. surreal is so comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.