So, I`m in Japan...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obeygiant, Apr 1, 2006.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

... and i see the new phone that carries LIVE television.
    the ntt docomo FOMA p901iTV

[​IMG]

15 fps @ 768mb/s

pretty sweet. and the reception is actually really good.

fyi, im posting from the shibuya apple store which is considerable smaller than the one in Ginza. but they have a refreshed 1080i sony handycam for sale as well has 3 refreshed macbook pros for about $2k

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Woah, that's sweet. New Apple iPhones with live iTV next tuesday.

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I guess it's cool but who wants to watch tv on such a tiny screen? I'm getting a head-ache just thinking about it.

4. cairo macrumors regular

Is there a subscription required to watch tv? Can you pick stuff up OTA with the phone?

5. cairo macrumors regular

I mean separated subscription aside from your phone plan...

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I wouldn't buy it. A screen that small isnt worth it.

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

The only thing I would use it for is watching hockey games. That would be amazing, all those times I'm on a bus or something while the game is on. :D

Japanese people are so lucky.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I am sooooooooooo jealous, obeygiant, of you being in Japan.

Did you buy a TV phone? Or anything else?

I've been to both the Ginza and Shibuya stores. The Ginza location and store are fantastic, but you gotta give the Shibuya store credit for the great spiral staircase.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Japand and Korea invested a lot of money on there bandwidth so they get to have stuff like this. My friend has been to Japan 3 years ago and until now the things that has been there has not moved to the US or Europe.

10. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

How exactly does that effect the hardware? That's what I never understood. I have a two year old average cell phone from Japan and it's still better than 98% of all US cell phones.

11. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

its not so tiny. but a lot of japanese play with their phone on the train and the like. The phone here in japan is usually camera, computer, and mp3 player all in one. The only thing to do on the train is to do email on your phone.

I just bought a little prepaid tu-ka phone for $40 just to have while walking around.

12. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

Yeah phones here are rather large because Japanese seem to use it for more than just talking. Lots of emails, internet, and so on. Phones here I feel are rather expensive. Well cheap to buy, but monlthy charges are high. In the states I always had 500 or so free minutes, calls after 9 PM and weekends are free.

Here no. It's only free when someone calls you. Well I get 25 free minutes a month.

I think DoCoMo is the best company here too. Ive used au and Vodafone and didnt care for them. Even though au gives a discount to University Students still didnt like them.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats nice but it looks really thick...i would like one.

Bless

14. mannix87 macrumors 6502

The US has been slow to adapt to dev'ts in telecom for the last decade or so compared to countries in Europe and Asia. SMS has been a standard of most European phones since 1993; internet browsing over the phone started around 1999 for Nokia, Ericsson, Alcatel and the other brands. It's possible that US phone users have very little interest in what hi-tech phones can do and are primarily concerned w/ how much talk time you can squeeze from a unit and the service provider; thus, the phone makers are happy just selling phones with very basic functions.

15. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Hvae you been phone shopping lately? It seems like all the phones have a lot of features that people don't want. I had to take my mom shopping for a new phone last time I was back home, and she got so discouraged at how hard it was to find a simple one that she almost stuck with her broken one.

16. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

right now posting from the Ginza Apple store.

4th floor. fyi.

ars079.90@mac.com

ars079.90

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I see you waving out the window! :D ;)

Attached Files:

18. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

thats really sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think part of the reason is that, being such a large country, it costs much more to get even 50% coverage of anything, never mind the newer stuff. The providers probably don't make enough money to justify putting the newest tech on towers in East Bum****, MT, and just barely enough for the major cities (of which I think there are more of in the U.S. than Japan/Korea combined).

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They could at least offer the major services in large US cities, and yet they don't.

So it's not just coverage. Lousy excuse. I'm sorry, but 2 years ago, my Japanese friend got a DoCoMo phone with a phone camera that actually takes GOOD photos, internet, and a fingerprint reader. It cost around $120 USD at the time.

So while I don't "seem" to need all the features, it's usually because the features are either worthless (ie: camera phones), or because the service is ridiculously expensive and not good enough, fast enough, and the content isn't good enough.

21. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Well, that's one thing I didn't consider, because I don't have to commute. Now I see how that could come in a bit handy.

22. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just had a 5.1 earthquake. The epicenter was a little ways away so we
    felt some rumble here in tokyo for about 20 seconds.
    its kinda funny, the last five times ive been here we have had one.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

While I was in Japan, there were two quakes on almost the same day. One was in Japan, and the other was centered only a few miles from my home in Los Angeles. So I would have been in an earthquake whether I had taken the trip or not!

24. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It doesn't look to be that much smaller than the iPod video screen, and it's bigger than the Nano screen so it can't be that bad.

25. Chillax macrumors newbie