So I pulled the trigger, first mac ever (kinda), question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BII, Oct 31, 2006.

1. BII macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006
    So I finally ordered a MBP, I was going to buy a C2D, but considering my needs, and the great deal on the refurbs, I went with a refurbished 2.16GHz 15 inch model.

I can't wait for it to arrive, so thus the question: where do the refurb units ship from? I'm hoping Cali, since I live in southern california, and ground usually takes a day or so.

BTW, I say this is kinda my first mac, since I picked up a powerbook 1400 a couple of months ago, which, surprisingly, surfs the web wirelessly. But this is my "switching" machine.

I'm a writer and coder so the MBP is perfect, plus I'll probably play second life and run ubuntu on parallels. I'm not really switching from windows, but linux actually.
  2. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2005
  3. sulhaq macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2006
    Don't know anything about Linux OSs but Parallels isn't very good at all for gaming under windows, so you might wanna check how good it is for gaming under ubuntu, if you can even play at all.
  4. The Shady macrumors member

Sep 2, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    ive never tried personally, but from what i know, parallels is like vmware and for that video sucks. i think if u want to game, then boot camp is the way to go. cheers
  5. BII thread starter macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006

I plan on running certain linux applications, and doing whatever isn't available under OSX in linux. I don't really play many games (I am a linux user after all), but things like WoW and Second Life, etc, all have OSX clients anyways.

Actually SL has a linux client that is in beta, which is awesome, and WoW runs in Wine.

ALthough I should limit my gaming, its way too addicting :eek:
  6. JAT macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2001
    Mpls, MN
    IIRC, all 3 of my refurb purchases this year came from California. 2 iPods and a Mini.
  7. BII thread starter macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006
    cool. the sales guy said there's 4 locations it can come from, but I''m hoping it ships from cali.
  8. danidoll521 macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2006
    Every refurb product I have ever bought (2 iPods, an iMac G5 and a PB G4) all came from California. Hopefully you'll get your new Mac soon:D
  9. BII thread starter macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006
    Well, of course mine has to come from PA, oh well.