So I Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Community' started by Guitarius, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I quit smoking, again, yesterday. 3rd time's a charm, right? Heh. :rolleyes: Sorry, I use humor to make myself feel better sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going crazy. My grandpa once told me the only way to get rid of any habit is cold turkey, so that's what I'm doing. I've gone through a pack of gum, and I nearly killed a couple people. Interesting aside though. The people that have quit/tried to/still smoke, totally understand, and even sometimes they appologize to me, where as the people who haven't/don't just get pissed off. I'm trying though. I'm trying to be nice and a good person.

I do find that writing is great way to ease it up. The best I've found yet. I've been sitting here, writing for the last couple of hours. Good stuff too. Maybe I should quit smoking more often, then maybe I'd get some work done. I just hope my keyboard can stand up to the punishment.

But seriously. For some reason I feel very empowered right now. Most of the day I've felt like crap, but I'm feeling really good right now.

So keep me from lighting up. Distract me with joke, funny pictures, or anecdotes about your dog. Please.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not sure how long this thread will last, but here's a joke for you (inspired by the Masters today).

A husband and wife have been married for almost 50 years, and EVERY single day they play a round of golf together. One day on the golf course, the wife says to her husband, "You know, I think it would be good for our marriage if we each confessed anything we might have done that went against our marriage vows." The husband agrees, and tells his wife that 30 years ago, he cheated on her one time, just the one time, with his secretary. "I forgive you," his wife says. "Now my secret: 20 years ago, after we started sleeping in separate beds, I secretly had a sex change. I am now a man." "You bitch!" the husband screams. "You mean you've been hitting from the red tees for 20 years?"

:)

3. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Not sure I get that. I'd imagine I'd have to play golf. Are the "red tees" some kind of female handicap?

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, the red tees are the closest to the green... typically, women are allowed to hit from the red tees, while men have to use the other tees (white, blue, and black, I think).

Go play some golf... the frustration of trying to hit a small white ball into a gopher hole from hundreds of yards away with a crooked tire iron (not once, but 18 times!) will take your mind off your nicotine withdrawal.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Congrats!! You'll save lots of money, you'll save lots of clothes, you'll also save lots of lung cells too. Keep up the good work!

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A day? Heh, come back in six months and let me know how you're doing, eh?

7. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah. Well...I have to do it this time. If I don't, I don't think I'll be able to again.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

CONGRATS! I don't smoke, so I'm not sure how the craving feels. But the longer you resist the craving for a cigeratte, the easier it'll get.

Best of luck to you!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good on ya, Guitarius!

We did a website for our government Health Ministry directed at teens to quit/not start www.tobaccofacts.org

Warning: Some Yucky (TM) photos inside.

10. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I was skiming through that site. Crazy stuff. I actually learned a little bit. Like how much cigarettes cost in Canada. 7.50 a pack? Man...that's what...about 5 bucks American? And I thought 3.50 a pack was an arm and a leg to pay for someone to kill me.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I hope this will suffise. :)

scem0

12. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I gave up 3 weeks ago...

Hi!

I know how you are feeling. The 2nd day was the hardest for me, I was totally confused and sometimes even trembling a little bit. But after that I alsways told me and tell me that, if I started again now, all this uncomfortable feeling and tenseness was for nothing. What helped a lot to distract my thoughts was when I started playing World of Warcraft 2 weeks ago. That's an occupation where I'm not thinking about smoking. The best thing to do is to find something that distracts you for a couple of hours. I think it has not to be something usefull. In my case, playing a computer game isn't very usefull but if it stops me from thinking about smoking, hey, that's usefull enough.

So for further distraction here's my homepage:
    www.nbfactory.cc
    It is in german though, but there are tons of nice graphics....

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I'm on my second giving up. Used nicotine gum - got off of that as soon as possible.

Cold turkey is right for some - not for others.

What ever method you use - it is important to change your habits because cigarettes are more than a physical addiction.
    For example - do you have a cigarette after a meal? If so go and do something different but don't sit and think about it.

I'm now very rich - cigarettes cost £5 ($9.50) and a packet a day is an expensive hobby.

Best bit is that I don't smell bad

And tell as many people as possible - not just for moral support but so that you don't feel you're letting them down.

14. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

15. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Good For You, Good Luck

Quitting is very tough...

I have not tried to quit, because of the statement above!

But, I have supported all my friends who have tried. Some succeed, some are still trying.

Either way, good for you and I wish you the best.

16. bellis1 macrumors 6502

quitter!

when I quit the physical cravings went away in about a week. my problem was just getting used to not having the activity. especially with a beer. or after eating. or on an overcast day. or as a break from work. just kidding, kind of. i don't miss it anymore and know that they will taste like sh*t if i was to ever try to start again. cold turkey is the way to go. be strong and hang in there.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not only that, but you'll learn about fifty new swear words that could make a sailor blush.

Golf - the only bad thing to ever come out of Scotland.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

From the Dragons Den

Well I live in Winston Salem, home of RJ Reynolds, and even here there are lots of people pushing quiting and restaurants going No Smoking.

Good for you man, I imagine the first few days are the hardest. Realize that when you do this, not only are you doing it for you but the ones you love and love you. My step dad was awesome, died at 45 of a heart attack in '79, he was an RJ Reynolds employee and heavy smoker. You are doing this for the ones who love you, your parents brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles and aunts, girlfriend, wife, kids or just the future ones. You are young and stronger than you think, you can and will do this.

Keep us up on things, good and bad, but the reason I know you can do this is my mother-in-law quit cold turkey after 40 years of smoking, it just took one lung cancer operation and lots of encouragement.

Just do it!

19. iGary Guest

iGary

The first three days are the worst.

The first week is pretty bad.

You'll forget about most of it by the end of the first month.

I recommend Nicoderm, personally. I quit 5 years ago in July as a three-pack-a-day smoker. :eek:

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I gave up smoking 6 years ago, and now I can go for minutes at the time without thinking about it... ;)

I don't recommend going cold turkey, unless you do it in a mountain cabin or somthing all by yourself, the risk of getting really nasty, borderline violent, is just too big...

I followed another path: One friday I had like 3-4 cigarettes left and went to a shopping mall to get a couple of packs for the weekend, but instead of getting cigarettes, not entirely on a hunch as I'd thought about it for a while, I got a pack of nicotine gums.

Back home I finished my cigarettes and started chewing (almost directly after the last cigarette) telling myself: "You're not quitting, just changeing brands..." (Self-delusion is EVERYTHING when it comes to quit smoking.)

After 6 months or so I could go from the gums with 4 mg of nicotine to the 2 mg kind, but I still had no intention of "quitting"... that happened quite naturally, as I after 2 1/2 years of chewing nicotine gum, was down to like two a day, and I could actually fool myself with ordinary chewing gum for most of the time, so I just stopped buying the nicotine gum.

Not had a cigarette since May '98 or a nicotine gum since Jan '01... :cool:

So, good luck to all that's trying to quit, nomatter what method you're using... :)

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Well said. I still have cravings every once and a while. ;)

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Congratulations!

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Good Luck!

My wife and I quit smoking 6 years ago, me on Feb. 7th and she on Feb. 14th. I guess she wanted to make sure I was serious before she'd commit. :D Both cold turkey, not as bad as some make it out to be.
    Still, after 6 years, once in a while we'll be sitting in traffic, notice someone around us smoking, and get that wistful look in our eyes. Don't ever miss that nasty smell or the coughing jags, though.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't miss the stale nasty smoker smell, but I still love the smell of tobacco.

My significant other always catches me tailing smokers on the street trying to get a second-hand whiff. :p

25. joetronic macrumors 6502

Good luck. I know its hard, did it two years ago, but took 3 times trying to quit. One thing to remember is, people who never smoked will sometimes not understand how hard it is and give you flack for it. Just take what they say with a grain of salt.

If you can, try to stay away form places you were more likly to smoke, like bars and partys and gatherings.

If you don't feel any different right way don't get discouraged, it may take a while for it work it self out of your system.

The pysical gravings will start to stop about three days after, but the mental is hardest. Try to stick with Sugar free gum, your teeth will be hapier, and if you smoked in your car, clean the crap out of it.
    Good luck and congrats!