So, I took apart my iMac G4 and now....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by l3lue, Aug 5, 2006.

1. l3lue macrumors member

Jul 2, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The hard drive in my 17" iMac G4 (the one with the dome base) needed replacing so I took it apart and put a new one in with instructions off the internet. I put it all back together and booted up. It just sits there with the blinking question mark. This means the system software needs to be installed on the new hard drive?

Assuming this, I plugged in the USB keyboard and hit eject. Restart, hold eject. Just trying to put the install CD in. Nothing. Could I have accidentally disconnected the buses or is there some other way to go about installing the OS on the new hard drive?
  2. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    Did you remember to plug the CD-ROM drive back in (power and data cables) during reassembly? I'd imagine that the eject key should eject an empty tray, considering the necessity of being able to do that in this kind of situation. If all else fails, you could do it in Open Firmware.
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Two easy ways to check if you plugged the optical drive back in correctly:

1) Boot with the option key held down. You should get an OS select screen with nothing on it. The eject key works there, and if you put in an install disc and high the refresh arrow, it should show booting from that disc as an option.

2) Hold down the mouse button when you power up the computer. That should ALWAYS open the optical drive tray.
  4. madog macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2004
    Korova Milkbar
    Yeah, check your connections. You might have forgotten to plug something in or just didn't connect them properly.
  5. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    From what I remember you can't hold the eject key before booting, you have to press the mouse button. But I haven't used a tray loading Mac since Feb 17 2004 so I might be wrong.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    If the install disk is already in there, reboot holding down "c" and then once it boots from the CD use Disk Utility to format the disk - then you can install OSX.

If you want to get the CD out of the drive, reboot holding the mouse buttoon down.