So I took apart one of my mighty mouses

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mduser63, Dec 28, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My original wired Mighty Mouse, purchased shortly after it was released stopped scrolling down a long time ago. With nothing better to do tonight, I decided to open it up to try to fix it. It wasn't nearly as hard as I had expected. The reason it wasn't scrolling down was obvious. There was a huge clump of dust on the down scroller pickup wheel, and it was pushing on the wheel so that it didn't even make contact with the scroll ball. Anyway, if you've got an out-of-warranty Mighty Mouse (this is most definitely a warranty-voiding procedure) that won't scroll, it is likely possible to fix. I found the instructions here. Do note that there are some small pieces and a fair amount of care is required, but it just requires a steady hand, care and some patience.

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

good to know! it looks possible.. compared to the old pro mice... glue is not your friend.

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i may just open mine up and disable the two worthless side buttons. those dang things are waaaayyyy too sensitive.

i have the function disabled but the dang thing just sits there and clicks all the time as i use it.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

All some find on the link..

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I had my MM replaced (not that I ever use it these days) but it's a product fault, warranty covered a replacement.

6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

wow the MM looks so fragile and delicate that i'd not wanna try taking it apart

7. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yeah, I had the one that came with my iMac replaced under warranty because it would scroll left after only about 3 months of use (cleaning didn't fix it), but my original MM's warranty expired a while ago, so that's not really an option. I'm good with my hands and used to building (and taking apart) delicate electronics (the MM is not that delicate anyway) so it was no problem.