So...I uhh....bent my metal tabs in the Mini!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 0s and 1s, Jan 24, 2005.

1. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I replaced the RAM to a 1gb and while closing the lid, I accidently cut my finger and in the process bent the metal tabs below the rear I/O panel. :(

Could I buy a bottom casing? ...or should I attempt to fix it? Also, does this VOID my warranty? Technically, I didn't break anything, but I don't know how they were bent from the height I was holding it. It makes me wonder if it was already bent....hmmm....

Last, the manual suggest that the AE card should have a black latch that must be released to remove the antenna. I didn't have a black latch, but rather 2 pegs that just held the antenna. Is this normal?

thanks!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think the bloody fingerprints inside the computer would probably be a sign that you messed with it. :p

3. morkintosh macrumors regular

I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that opening the mini yourself at all voided the warranty.

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

If i remember, the mini is user serviceable, but i think your out of luck with a replacement part.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

For some reason this story just made me laugh. :D

There are several types, some models have pegs some have latches. Its not a big deal. :)

Bloody finger, ROTF. In the future take it easy and work on fiddling with the hardware calmly, rushing is just negative.

Who cares if you bent something, the system still works RIGHT. Its going to be hidden anyhow so let it pass. At least you don't have a scratch-up iPod or Al PB. :p ;) :)

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hey, I'd do the same as him if that happens to me. I'd probably come on MR and make a thread whining about it just like he did. Get off his case! :D

(knocks on wood)

7. 0s and 1s thread starter macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Oh shush! I DID take my time. I was super slow doing the job. I don't know how it happened, I swear! One second I'm holding the lid, the next a metal clip cuts a good piece off my thumb! Don't fret, no blood, sweat, or hairs were found in its innards. I made sure of that! Granted, I sacrificed a finger, but it's worth it because I just saved myself $60 for someone to do the job with an Apple certified putty knife!

Ladies and gentlement, this calls for a celebration. Time to enjoy a Guinness.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

9. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

10. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

may I ask which ram module you put in? I'm looking for a 1GB chip. Does it have to be low-profile? low or high density?