So I Used Spotlight For The First Time Today

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    And the beachball is still spinning on the app - what gives?

I was just looking to get my old bookmarks.plist from jaguar and copy it over to Tiger and it seems to be locked up? Any ideas?

2. macdon401 macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005

I hate to tell you this, but a couple weeks ago all my trouble started when spotlight started updating itself after I installed a trial version of Photoshop CS2, hours passed, I sought help here, then beachballs started to appear, then ... my hair almost fell out...SMART warning "disk is failing, back up as much as you can..." I'd start checking hardware, better safe than sorry, my point is it all started with a problem in Spotlight!
    Good luck!
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So do you think that spotlight just pushed the disk hard enough to make it go over the edge? Or that there was a problem in the index area, all along, and it didn't get noticed until you spotlighted?

Mr. Anderson, there's a thread here somewhere about Spotlight ending up with a bad index file... it sounds like this might be your problem. It is slow for me, but has never terminally beachballed (or destroyed my hard drive. :eek: I use spotlight daily). The solution to the index problem is to delete a file in the root of the hard drive with terminal. Let me see if I can find the thread.

It's sad, though, that the very first time you use Spotlight, you have such a problem.... I believe you will have slowed performance for an hour or two while the re-index occurs.
  4. virus1 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    spotlight does not have the ability to physically screw up the drive. smart status directly reflects what is going on with the hard drive hardware