So I was at the shooting range today...

Discussion in 'Community' started by LethalWolfe, Mar 18, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd been shooting for about 45 minutes and I had a nice rhythm goin' (breathe-aim-squeeze, breathe-aim-squeeze, breathe-aim-squeeze) when I hear tunktunktunktunktunktunktunktunk. I glance over and 3 or 4 lanes down was a target 'bout 35' feet out w/8 holes it. None of which are anywhere close to the bull's eye or each other. I hear some voices and it sounds like a guy taking a girl shooting for the first time. W/the ear protection everything is muffled but some how "Awe, baby, don't be 'fraid. There's no kick at all. It's silky smooooth" comes thru loud and clear. I'm reloading and I hear 8 more rapid shots go off. There's a few more holes in the target (again none of them near the bull's eye) and I'm pretty sure more bullets completly missed the cardboard than hit it. 10 or 15 minutes later I'm outta ammo and packing up. As I walk past them I glance over to see what they are using to make that bull's eye the safest place on the range and I see the biggest, shiniest, chrome-plated looking .45 semi-auto known to man (it reminded me of Queen Amidala's<sp?> ship from Episode I).
    I browesed about the store a bit and ended up walking out to the parking lot and seeing the man and women climb into a "bling bling" Caddy (whatever is based on the Avalanche). And then I busted out laughing 'cause the dudes bling bling pistol was shinier than his bling-bling rims and I could just see him picking out that pistol for no other reason than it's big and shiny.

Just a little amusement from my day that I felt like sharing. :)

Lethal

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

wow... Sounds like south texas, except they don't need shooting ranges down here. You just aim at somebody you don't like...

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

that's pretty funny!!! I wish I could have seen that gun! I'd be funny to see one of them shoot a Dirty Harry style gun, talk about a kick!!!

JW

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: So I was at the shooting range today...

somehow i thought this story was going somewhere else...;)

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: So I was at the shooting range today...

seriously, man. i was thinking that same thing.

but funny, dude. i feel sorry for the girl.

has anybody seen "Sweet and Low Down?" It's a woody allen movie... the lead character is this psychotic jazz guitarist, and he forces his girlfriends to go down to the dumpster and shoot rats with him. it's hilarious.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I really miss being able go get to a range any time I want, it's so heavily regulated over here, I get to shoot with the Marines in Portsmouth a couple of times a year, with some very nice kit, but I used to shoot regularly, all range, I don't hunt, but the bloody Tories put paid to that, I can't even own a gun now.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Tories? don't democrats usually stop people using guns?:confused:

8. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

haha thats funny..

I first saw this thread on the main page and though "o gawd, not another pro-war person fantasizing about blowing out Saddam's brains at the shooting range.":rolleyes:

I'm glad it isn't:)

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, the Tories brought in draconian legislation to limit personal ownership of firearms in the UK, basically, if you're not a farmer or an Olympic-class marksman it's next to impossibly to get anything above a paintball gun:mad:

I'm a little luckier than most, but it still sucks.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

But I bet crime has almost dissapeared from the UK.... Right? :D

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The man probably would have broken his arm. :D

12. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

So glad I live in America where freedoms aren't ripped away so easily, though there are some who are trying, grrrrrrrr..........

I mostly am a skeet shooter, I have some pretty darn expensive shotguns. Shooting is such a great pasttime that so many don't know about. I taught my sister to shoot and she loves it. If I go through with changing my major and become law enforcement I'll be on the range quite a bit.

13. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've shot skeet, trap, and sporting clays each one time while visiting my bro in Phoenix. I think I liked sporting clays the best.

EDIT: besides that I've done mainly pistol shooting. I've been shooting for 19yrs and I just turned 25. ;)

Lethal

14. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Hah, i was thinking" oh no, I bet someone will bring up Saddam"...

And yes, someone did! :D

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Oh yeah, it's all pointy sticks and harsh language over here:p

You can buy an Uzi for £500 in Brixton, but are as likely to get mugged by the Yardies who're selling it.:D

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hey lethal what you shooting with these days?

17. guitargeek macrumors regular

I', surprised to see shooting in such a positive light! It's refreshing. At most of the boards I frequent, "gun" is a four letter word, if you know what I mean.

I'm not really into shooting like I used to be, but I still enjoy plinking with my Rugar 10-22 now and again.

18. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Walther PP and a Beretta model 102 (semi-auto .22LR target pistol) it looks almost exactly like a model 76 but w/different grips. Both were B-day presents (24th and 16th respectively). The Beretta shoots like a dream and is, all around, a very nice target pistol. When I need to carry I carry the PP. It shoots good as well and w/in 10-15ft I'm fairly accurate shooting w/my off hand (if I have to pull it who knows if which hand I'll have to shoot with).
    I've also got a very nice 22LR Remmington rifle but it stayed at home. I'm currently window shopping for a carry sidearm but nothing has caught my eye. I'd like a .45 but most .45's are too big for me to feel comfortable trying to conceal on my person (5'8" 145lbs). I don't have $$$ for a new addition right now anyway, but it never hurts to look. ;)

Lethal

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What about a pineapple? Or maybe a banana? ;)

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Saw a bloke take a really heavy cucumbering the other day...:eek:

(did I say that out loud?)

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have allways liked the walthers, i used to have a ppk and it was a very sweet little weapon. It had great tolerances and was the most precisely made weapon i had owned, I have had a S &W and a Ruger but the ppk is the one i really loved to shoot and clean. It was like it was made out of a single block of steel. If i ever get another handgun i think i would go for this again.

22. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

ROTFL!!!

23. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I shoot regularly, and I have a permit to carry. Still, 16 seems like an awfully tender age to have a handun. I knew how to shoot at that age, but I didn't have a gun until I could legally buy it.

24. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's definetly not the norm, but I'd started shooting when I was 6 and cleaning weapons (pistosl, rifles, swords ect.) a few years later. My dad is retired military and a collector so we (my brother, sister, and I) have been around weapons our entire lives. Getting your first firearm in my family is a rite of passige of sorts. My dad wouldn't give you a firearm as a gift unless he knew you were mature, responsible, and knowledgable enough to handle and care for that weapon properly. It was kept trigger locked in locked drawer in my room unless it was being cleaned or we were going to the range. My dad kept all the ammo garage (which is so cluttered Hans Blix couldn't find a thing if his life depended on it).

Lethal

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Hey, LethalWolfe, Happy Birthday.

You get another gun or what?:D