So, I went into the apple store...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangemacapple, Dec 28, 2006.

1. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

So, I went into the apple store to get a mini dvi adapter.

I said to the guy, mb's should come with this adapter since it's a proprietary item.
    He said it's not proprietary because anybody can use it.

I had previously stopped at office max and radio shack before going all the way to an apple store. it's not even listed in a radio shack online catalog.

if nobody makes one but apple, and nobody use one but apple, it's as close to proprietary as you can get, and it should come with mb's.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not sure there was a question about where to buy it or who has it for sale but on backorder, but yes, MB's should come with this for sure.

3. southbark macrumors regular

JUst because apple sells does not mean you can only get it from apple

4. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

thanx guys

but i DID pick one up at the apple store.
    and it's a dollar cheaper from apple than small dog's site.

and it IS an apple product.
    does anybody know of anyone else that manufactures or uses one besides apple?

i still call it PROPRIETARY!

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would imagine the primary reason it's not included is because they're trying to cut costs. But also, if someone happens to have a VGA-only monitor, including a worthless (to them) mini-DVI to DVI adapter doesn't help...they'll need a different adapter. This way, they can buy the adapter they need.

6. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Better call in the wah-bulance. It is 20 bucks. And it will serve you a purpose unlinke half the other crap we buy these days.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I remember one of my old Apple CRT monitors came with 2 or 3 adapters that I had no use for, so I just threw them away. I imagine that is why they don't include them anymore, because not everyone needs them and it keeps the cost down for those that don't require them.

proprietary does not equal free.

8. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

then you can buy a dvi to vga adapter for about $8. they're made by a bunch of companies.
    the mini dvi is the proprietary problem.

for cheap or free!
    everytime i buy a computer, they give me a FREE printer with it (AR). do you think that saves money? do you know how many printers i have lying around?

and i'm not speaking about a slew of cables - just one mini dvi to dvi, and i can make do with the rest of the plumbing parts.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What does the issue of whether or not it's "proprietary" have to do with it? Why does something being "proprietary" mean that it has to be included in the base purchase? I don't follow that.

Regardless, you would either need a Mini-DVI to DVI or Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. Both are "proprietary"...you buy the one you need for your setup. Stringing adapters together isn't the best way to do things, and this way costs are kept down and you buy only what you need.

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I added the mini-DVI to VGA adapter without hesitation when I placed an order for a MB a few days ago. $17 with educ. discount, not bad..

11. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

but they give you an worthless extension cord for your power brick when any old 99¢ lamp cord (which i use) will work just fine.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not that I'd ever trust a lamp cord for that sort of thing, but out of curiosity, how do you attach said lamp cord to your power brick?

13. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

i just plug the brick into the cord, the same way i would plug it into the wall, just like i do my xmas lights.

14. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

This does not look like a lamp cord to me..

[​IMG]

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

Just for the sake of augment, let's assume Apple invented the connector and no one else sells them. Even in that case why should Apple include the adaptor with the MB? That would mean forcing everyone to pay for one when only a few would ever use it

You could say Apple could include it for free. THat can't happen. Everything cost money even the cardboard box the computer is shiped in and all of it is paid for by the customer

Same thing happened when Apple decided to not include Firewire cables with every new iPod because almost no one was using it as USB was more common.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The lack of such a cable is business as usual as far as I know. Not really sure what you are upset about.

Power cables are absolutely necessary and Apple doesn't assume you have one of those. The DVI cable? Not absolutely necessary.

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had to get one of these to use my iMac with a projector at school. Is Mini-DVI an apple thing? I bought it at compusa and Apple was the only manufacturer of it. I think the question of proprietary deals with whether mini-dvi is an Apple only jack....if not why couldn't belkin make a mini-dvi to vga adapter?

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Doing so eliminates any grounding protection. 99 cent xmas lights don't really matter. Expensive computers might be worth the effort of actually using a grounded cable... and, of course, it doesn't matter if the cable you use is a grounded extension cord, as the power brick adapter itself isn't.

Use the grounded power brick extension.

As far as including an adapter because it's proprietary: um, no. There's no logic whatsoever in the assertion that a company need include any proprietary accessories with every product it sells. If the adapter were necessary to use the product, then there'd be a stronger argument, but still an insufficient one.

19. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

grounding on the adapter: it's not grounded if you plug the regular brick into a receptacle - the brick has no gorund plug. so forget about trusting the mb to an ungrounded plug.
    and a ground wire is just another neutral/common lead that runs parrallel to the other common wire and is connected to the grounding plate in the circuit box to the same screw terminal. it's only there in case the normal common is broken so you won't get a jolt by touching the appliance. in a plastic covered brick, that won't happen.
    when i was a kid, there was a weak ground on the stove, and anytime we touched the stove and the fridge at the same time we got a shock. we soonlearned not to touch them both at thte same time.
    a device having a ground plug is not the same thing as a GFCI ground fault circuit interrupt which braks the hot connection.

so, use the same 99¢ cord you use to plug in your bedside lamp. the power brick is only 1½ amps, so a regular 16 or 18 gauge wire will handle it fine (it's not like a vaccuum cleaner - and most of those are just 2-prong also).

20. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I've worked at place where that kind of stuff just gets dumped or locked up in a some locker till its obsolete.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you use the cable, it is grounded. The small 2-prong stub that is often used in the power brick is not grounded, true. But the cable is grounded. Look at the connection to the power brick again. Also read the manual.

I know how ground wires work, and I know how GFI's work.

22. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

and grounded or ungrounded - it doesn't matter to your macbook. your brick is putting out 16v DC to your mb. no extra ground there.
    we're not talking voltage spikes. any surge would just blow the transformer brick. the grounded plug won't help there an iota.

23. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Though if i'm not grounded I've noticed that my MBP makes weird buzzing noises along with the brick itself.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I went into the car dealership today and told the guy there that since the airconditioner is proprietary to my new car, Ford should be including it at no extra cost withn each car.

He told me I was crazy.