So I went to Apple Store today to buy myself my NEW iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wako, Jul 31, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Well today I went to the Apple store to buy my first Mac! Not only the Mac but I was going for the new 12'' iBook! However at the end I somehow ended up getting a PowerBook. I swear I was all settled into place into getting the iBook. I wanted the iBook more because it was made to be more durable, less as hot as the PowerBook, and had all that I had wanted... so i had thought. I ended up switching because the iBook's screen really did look ALOT dimmer then that of the PowerBook. Also the silvery color was calling for me!

So at the end I ended up buying a 12'' PowerBook combo, a wireless mouse, and a iPod mini.

I am very upset about the store service though. I personally work at BestBuy. At BestBuy we make everything EXTREMELY personal. Meaning the person you talk to from the beginning will talk to you and help your needs and assist you and then check you out. At the AppleStore I had to go find help.

I figured that was alright because it did seem like it had alot of people. Waited aorund for a good 10 minutes, looked around and saw 4 employees talking to one another. So I approached them and asked for help. When i asked, "Can I get some help here? I have few questions." His reply was "What do you want?" It wasnt friendly at all, it was more like the pissed off quit bothering me type of tone. When i asked him my questions he also did not seem to know ANYTHING. I asked about if it was possible to stick a Hitachi 7200rpm HDD in there and would it void the warranty. He said, "You would have to buy it online then." I was like wait, they dont even have the Hitachi HDD though. His direct response I kid you not was, "uhhhh...." He then mustered up a lie to me and said "all the drives are suppose to be 5400rpm. I totally called him out on that one and said go check online it says its 4200. When we went to computer he didn't even know how to navigate the website! I had to tell/show him where to get the specs on the HDD. When he saw it he was like, "Oh I guess it is then." He then told me a lie (atleast Im taking it as a lie because he seems already entirely incompetent) that it doesnt matter because the "little" speed isnt really going to make a different and he uses Final Cut Pro. I asked what he had and he said he has a PowerBook. I told him that he has a 5400rpm HDD then, and its the iBook that has the 4200rpm HDD. He seemed clueless at that point so I just decided to ask about the Applecare warranty and that if it covered the display. He said, "Well it really depends." I asked what does it depend on then, and his reply was, "Well they need to see what has to be done." I was like well what do they look at? His reply was exactly, "I don't really know its really up to the Geniuses." At that point I was just great, I found an idiot so I just told him thanks and went back to looking at the laptops.

I also didnt like how the Applestore ran. For example I had to goto the counter and ask for the system to check it out. At BestBuy they bring it out and let you see it before you buy it. I swear I felt like I was at McDonalds or something when I was checking out.

However I really don't give too much of a damn about the store. I hear alot of good things about other stores, I guess its just that my store sucks. Meh, atleast I got my PowerBook now :)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

No offense, but your Best Buy is the exception, not the rule.

Sorry you were not pleased, but enjoy your new iBook!

3. ph0rce macrumors 6502

4. v idioteque v macrumors newbie

He ended up by a powerbook. I don't understand why computer stores of any kind (whether it be best buy or apple store), hire people who next to nothing about the things they're selling. Now I understand that many people who work there do in fact know what they're talking about, but come on! I would love to work there, and I know much MUCH more than him, and I'm just getting my first mac!

Just sounds like whoever's hiring people at that specific apple store needs to be alot more thorough. But hey, congrats on the new mac!

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I agree with you about the abyssmal Apple store service. I went to the Austin store a few months ago to buy my son a 20" iMac (which I did eventually get), and had a terrible time waiting for a clerk to help me. Very impersonal, unprofessional, and clueless. Not that I would rate Best Buy employees as knowledgeable normally, but at least you can usually get help when you need it, and they will at least TRY. This is actually 2 trips in 1 for me: my first and my last. I will do all my Apple shopping online from now on.

EDIT: I don't get what is so special about Apple stores. Perhaps they are OK for kid geeks, but it totally left me cold.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Well, the Apple Store in London is a unique experience, where the whole place is basically used as an internet cafe, without the coffee. People just go n sit in there with their laptops.

As for the staff, they're ok I suppose. You get one or two really enthusiastics, but the rest seem just like PC World staff. They'll tell you any BS from the side of the product's box as they can.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's a Starbucks right round the corner - I've never tried walking in with my frappuccino though. I do wonder at the nerve of the obvious businesspeople sitting in the theatre with their Dell laptops plugged in and ignoring whatever presentation is going on. I once saw one guy in the back row take out his mobile and make a call.

Yeah, if you can get their attention, they're not bad. But they have absolutely no customer awareness or acknowledgement training - and they often seem to spend more time talking to one another than to anyone else. Yesterday at the Genius Bar, there were 6 'Geniuses' talking to each other at one end of the bar, 2 actually working with customers (handling 2 each) and 5 customers with pre-11am appointments still waiting, one of whom was still there at 11.30 since in that time, those 6 people had only manged to serve 2 people. Luckily one was me! A little more hands-on floor management wouldn't go amiss in there.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. Gmac07 macrumors member

hey wako what best buy store you work at?? Do you sell computers?? I used to work at store 475 Brick NJ. Next week im moving to north carolina and im working at store 387 Wilmington NC. When i first started working at Brick we were one of the worst Computer departments in the company. As of yesterday we were 1, 1, and 24. Im pretty proud of that :) . Anyway
    Best Buy can hire some pretty stupid people too. And in the next year Best Buy is gonna be alot more like an Apple Store as far as how interactive the store will be set up. Anyway im getting my 12" powerbook tomarrow, CANT WAIT!!!

10. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

:Christmas Time:

I bought my dad an iBook last december, and i had a great apple store employer helping me out. A kick ass guy, helped us out cause we were in a rush. A nice shopping experinence. The whole time he looked really strangely familiar. And i realize that hes a friends older brother. And i knew him from a party and he held up my legs for my first keg stand. A memorable weak 5 seconds. Lol. Who woulda thunk it!

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about the way you were treated. :( The PowerBook will certainly be something that you will enjoy. Hopefully you were there on an off day. I would recommend that you speak with the manager about your situation though. That is the only way that improvements can occur.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Just curious, did you make sure the brightness was at maximum on both? Tiger has an optional power save mode that dims the screen when the AC is disconnected. This may have been OFF on the PB and ON on the iBook.

It's the same screen so they should look similiar.

13. smurphur macrumors member

Hehe speaking of the Austin Apple Store, my friend and I went there when the new ibook was released as my friend wanted to buy one. Of course he didn't call ahead of time to see that they were in stock. So we get there and he asks the clerk if they got the new ibooks. The guy was like uhh I don't know I just got here. Then I ask, well are they going to discount these old ibooks you have on display. He tells me that Apple is a coorporation and they don't get any information regarding the release of new products or when that happens discounts on old products. I asked him if he was aware that the coorporation that he works for updated their ibook line that day, and that it was on their website. He was like oh, well ya we don't have them. Later I see him helping a girl with an FM transmitter for her ipod, and he tells her that the one he is showing her is the only one that can us any FM station and isn't limited to only a few like the other ones. Sitting on the rack right next to that one are 2 others that do the exact same thing that he probably doesn't have a clue about. It is just say that as a salesman you wouldn't educate yourself on the products in your store.
    The funniest apple experience I had was at a Frys electronics store. The apple guy in their small apple department asked a guy if he needed help. The olderman said ya we are gonna buy either this 15" or 17" powerbook, but its up to my wife and shes not here. She will have some questions when she gets here though I'm sure. The guy replies back that he hasn't used an Apple in the early 90s! I wanted to refer the guy to at least go to Barton Creek Mall and talk to someone that has used OS X, but the guy looked busy exploring it himself.
    Oh well, there are definitely good Apple stores and salespeople.

14. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Did I offend you or something? Seems like you are getting a bit defensive...

You might have been there before, its the one at Bethesda in Montgomery Mall (in Maryland of course)

Anyways though I bought many computers in my short life (18) and at CompUSA, Circuit City, and BBY I always recieved the same service procedures. I figured Apple who seems very focused on their customers would do the same in their stores. Thats all.

Im sure people have recieved better service then me, maybe it was just my luck.

I can really careless though, Im still definately going to return to the same store when I decide to buy AppleCare.

As for what BBY store I work at, I work at BBY 288 in Gaithersburg, MD. Im leaving though. I don't actually work at the computer department but the general way to sell things is to follow the customer throughout their "experience." My store is far from being on the top charts in the company, but then again we are transitioning out of being a labstore right now.

Again Im not saying that Apple store are bad, I just had a bad experience and I know that does not reflect all the stores. Since I only talked to one employee I doubt it really reflects the whole store.

Despite all this, I am really enjoying my new system. I had really thought originally the 12'' PowerBook would be too small and was thinking whether I should get the 14'' iBook or the 15'' PowerBook. Im very happy I didnt go down that path. It would suck to have to carry those mammoths between classes next year :)

One complaint is, IM ENTIRELY CLUELESS OF WHAT IM DOING right now. Mmm good thing I still have another two weeks to play with this thing before I leave. Hopefully by then I will know what Im doing.

Oh and what region code should I put iDVD on? I live in the US. Also how do i eject a DVD without opening up iDVD?

15. James L macrumors 6502a

I hope for everyone of you who had a bad experience, that you have put it in writing, to the store manager(s).

I know you are just venting here, but nothing will change without formal complaints. Plus, if you complain often enough about a legitimate concern Apple tends to give you free stuff!!!

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think he is just saying that the experience you describe at the Apple Store is what most people experience at a typical Best Buy store.

17. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Omg, the people at the Montgomery Mall are retarded ignoramuses. I was there myself, exactly 2 weekends ago and there was this girl who came up to 'help' me. I was looking at the 12" 'Books bc they are right next to each other and I was like: "I'm not sure, but what does Apple mean when they say that the 12" CD-ROM iBook isnt included in the BTS Promo?" [I was unaware there was a CD-ROM iBook] And she goes, "Oh yeah, the 12" is excluded, you have to get one of the 2 14" iBooks." At that point I was like "**** it, I wanted a PB anyway..." But I later found out this wasnt true and she was just pulling that BS out of her a$$.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, that Apple store just sucks. Or atleast, we now know 2 of their staff do. (I'm still waiting for the upgraded PB btw)

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I almost hate going into Best Buy because of the way the sales people there act. I've never (and I honestly mean never) talked to one that really knew what they were talking about. I've never been to an Apple Store, but I had hoped that the people there were knowledgeable, unfortunately it seems that this isn't necessarily true. On another note, in general I like to be left alone when I walk into a store (the Best Buy "greeters" especially annoy me), but when I ask for help, I expect the sales people to be able to truthfully answer my questions, and if they don't know something, to just tell me that they're not sure, and maybe offer to find out. Making something up to try to sell whatever it is I'm looking at is not a good way to get me to buy it.

Sorry about your experience in the Apple Store, but I'm glad you got a good Mac, and I hope you enjoy it. I love my 12" PowerBook.

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You took the words out of my mouth...

As did you. I only trust CompUSA for my Apple service. The guy who worked there knew his stuff and didn't try to ******** me...

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Good choice upgrading to the PowerBook. I like their keyboards much more than the iBooks.

Almost all Apple Store employees have been rude, there are a few nice ones though. You have to go there a few times and find out which ones are the nice ones.

Maybe its like deli workers, the more people in the store, the worse attitude they have. :)

21. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

When I went into the Plano TX store to look at the new iBooks, I had to dodge salespeople. I don't like salespeople, never have - just let me buy my stuff and leave without listening to your pitch. Best Buy is becoming the worst - I can't wander a music or DVD aisle without someone asking if they can help. Sometimes multiple people.

CompUSA is the worst of both worlds - hard to find a salesperson to get something out of the back, but once found they won't let you out of their clutches.

As to hiring computer-edumacated people - if they knew much more than the bare minimum they'd be at the Genius Bar or working elsewhere, rather than slogging away at a $7.50 + commission retail clerk gig.

22. witness macrumors 6502

I have to say that my Apple store experience hasn't been that great, but I usually put it down to the fact they they are always so busy.

PC World in the UK has to be one of the worst offenders when it comes to telling you anything to make a sale. There is always someone nearby ready to assist you, but as soon as they start talking they just shower you with lies. I usually just humor them, but one day I will probably loose my patience and ask them not to speak if they don't know the answers to my questions. Last time I was there I enquired about the resolution of a monitor on display, when the guy told me, I responded by saying that it was not so good, he then replied by saying that it is not possible to get screens with higher pixel densities which was completely untrue. At the point I just said thanks and walked away.

I don't really believe that computer literacy can be trained, if you don't have and aptitude and personal interest (outside of work) then you will never be very good. And if a person does have an aptitude and an interest in computers then they can probably get a better job that working in a store. So guess that means there's little hope of good service :( (The only exception to this that I've found is students who are only working in the store to put them selves through education)

23. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

i personally have gotten nothing but crappy service from Best Buy and found that when i went to ask them about macs they only carried the mini and they knew NOTHING about it....it was sad....so i went to the apple store here in Miami and the service and help i got was incredible! i ended up with the PB i have now and I have been back about 3 times since and spent about 300 bucks each time just cause i got such good service why buy from anyone else?? but you ended up with a killer Mac, but i think you should report your ****** service to one of his superiors....that shouldn't be tolerated...

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I've had some great and some terrible experiences
    working with both AppleStore-Tyson's and AppleStore-Online sales people.

I ended up buying my G5 online after finding a great rep that really knows audio production.

In the store, I found that it's best to ask the store manager to speak to someone who specializes in your field of interest.

The best part of going to the stores is to see all the displays before your make your purchase.

I've known many people, who like you had their mind made up shopping online, only to change their
    mind completely once they saw all the options "hands on" at the stores.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

US is region 1, to eject a DVD you just press the eject key at the top of your keyboard, if it's the same as my iBook it's F12