So, I'd like iCal to do this...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Nov 26, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Now that my wife and I are the proud owners of a new iMac G5, I'd like to somehow have us sharing calendars in iCal. Basically, what I want is for iCal in my iBook to sync up with iCal in the iMac, so that we can both look at each other's schedules...and preferably, edit the calendars too.

Is there anyway to do this without publishing to .mac (which I don't have, nor will I be having...) or a WebDAV server?

All help is appreciated! As usual...

stevietheb

2. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

File>Export and load that file created on the other comp ;)

3. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

That will certainly work. Thanks!

However, best case scenario would be one in which the two computers can refresh the calendars throughout the day...this way when we are in two different places, we can continue to see an updated calendar. Any possibilities there? Or am I gonna have to do the WebDAV server thing...?

4. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

I found this on Macupdate. I haven't used it, but a couple of the reviews are pretty enthusiastic.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can post your calendars online (password protected) without a .mac account and having to configure WebDAV. Check out services like iCalExchange. Could work well for you :)

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

sorry to say, but .Mac is the best way to sync calendars between two computers. My wife and I sync our calendars together and it updates them every hour with changes automatically- we never have to think about it. we also use iSync to sync two palms with the same calendars. Works great- The cost of .Mac is not that much when you figure you can back up your most important files without ever worrying abou it using backup software from Apple. Maybe there are other things you would use .Mac for- I know I do- sure I could do some of the things easier, but having everything quickly together and very easy to do is worth the cash to me.
    The other thing is my wife can change something on her calendar at home and it shows up at work- where if you publish you can't do that. That other "isynccalwhatever" software looks promising though- but I worry about data getting lost, move, etc. I don't know the reliability of that software
    good luck finding something

7. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

iSyncCal looks like a winner, but it costs $20. Since iCalExchange seems to be free (for the time being...the site seems to hint that this might not always be the case), I think it's going to be the winner.

As for .mac. I really don't know what I would use it for. I have everything important backed up to a USB Thumb Drive, and external HD drive...and all of our pictures backed up to DVDs. My brother has his own website, so all of my photos and whatnot for the family to see goes there.

Thanks for all the help!

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I vote .mac, one of the best features about it is that if something goes catastrophically wrong and you have to reinstall your OS, it is so easy to get parts of your old computer back instantly.