So I'd like to buy an iMac, either the 20-inch or 24...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Captain Planet, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    I'll be upgrading either one I choose to 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram, and the best of the two video cards. Which one would you recommend? This would be my first Mac...I guess money isn't really an issue, although I would still prefer paying less, but whatever. Is there any big differences apart from the size? I know personally, I would of been happy with a 17-inch, but the processor and video card aren't that good, which is why I'm deciding between 20 or 24.
     
  2. Turkish macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    #2
    What are you going to be using the computer for? That's the key.

    Unless it's really heavy duty, save your money on the processor upgrade.

    If you have the money for the bigger screen, go for it - you'll enjoy it more in the long run.
     
  3. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    Well I guess I wouldn't exactly need to upgrade the processor, it's just that I want the computer to last me a while...
     
  4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
  5. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    Yeah I know...but I'm tired of waiting. If I would have at least an idea of when there'd be a new upgrade in hardware or new design release, but I don't. I could wait maybe a month...but I really want one now.
     
  6. Turkish macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    #6
    So get the 24" model with the video card upgrade and additional RAM - at least you'll know that your machine will handle any Core Image upgrades to the OS in future releases... and the processor is plenty for most uses.

    This is so unique to the Mac market. Everyone always wondering what's next. Wait a bit till when?
     
  7. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I know if I keep waiting for something new to come out I'll end up never buying a computer...but right now seems like the worst time. Even the buyer's guide says not to buy. Not so sure I fully trust that, but just by looking at the average days for upgrades, it's overdue. When could an upgrade come out? Anytime...but I don't feel like waiting more than a month. And even a month is a lot.
     
  8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

    psycoswimmer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #8
    I'd go with the 24" with upgraded video card and RAM. No need really to upgrade the processor. Use the money for something else (bluetooth peripherals?).

    I know it'll seem like a while, but think. You buy the iMac tomorrow, or even in 2 weeks from now, and in less than 2 months a brand new iMac is released. Determine how you would feel in this (likely) scenario, and then decide when to buy.
     
  9. emac82 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Location:
    NB, Canada
    #9
    Leopard & Santa Rosa haven't been released yet, so there won't be any new model Macs until after they are released, which will still be awhile at this point. If Leopard was released tomorow (hypothetically), it would still be a bit before macs starting shipping with Leopard, and then new models won't be released until Santa Rosa comes out which won't be for a few months AT LEAST.

    Buy now. Buy whatever you can afford, don't worry about the processor upgrade so much.
     
  10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #10
    You could also buy a 17", save a bunch of money, and then get one of the new ones when they are finally released. It's not like there's a lot of difference from the 17" to the base 20"--the graphics card is the same, the 20" offers a processor that is 8% faster, and that is about it, aside from the screen size and larger HD. I would not say the 20" isn't worth it--I personally think it is--but if you know you'd be happy with the 17, why not get it?

    If you got the 17" now, you could eBay it for almost what you buy it for when new ones come out and then get one of the new ones.

    Bob
     
  11. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

    Teh Don Ditty

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Maryland
    #11
    It all depends on your budget. A 20" is a nice strike between price and performance. Keep the stock processor and drop more RAM in there and change the video card (if you wanted)
     
  12. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Yeah I guess I could save money by not upgrading the processor, it's the least important anyways...I will upgrade to 2 GB though, and the video card also. I'm still not sure if I should go with the 20" or 24". Only reason I would want the 24" over 20" is because of the better video card. It's too bad you can't change it after...if you could, I'd go with the 20" right away.
     
  13. mcohen4 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Location:
    Coronado CA
    #13
    Just Ordered the 24"

    After a couple years with the Apple II (and Laser 128 - does anyone remember it?), I've been a Windows PC user since the late 80's. After much research, forum surfing, and thoughtful consideration, I decided on the 24" (2.16) with 2 GBs of RAM and the 7600 GT video card w/256 mb. It is on order and I have another agonizing week to wait.

    I also ordered a Western Digital MyBook Pro 500GB Triple Interface external drive from buy.com ($257 delivered to California). I opted for the extra drive rather than upgrade the internal one. Unless money is a serious issue, I agree with many other posts regarding the importance of the display. The processor speed is less critical and you can always add ram, but the display will never change. So, you might as well go big.

    Of course, it depends on how you use your computer. I am a writer, so I love the idea of multiple pages on the screen. I also like to watch movies when I work out, so the big screen is a plus.

    Good luck with your purchase. As another Windows escapee, it will be interesting to hear your first impressions.

    Mark
     
  14. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    You know what? I think I'll do the exact same thing as you did. Go with the 24-inch, upgrade to 2 GB Ram and the video card. Leave the processor at 2.16 GHz. I do have one question though, let's say for gaming, would I see a difference in the speed having a 2.16 instead of 2.33 processor?
     
  15. 4God macrumors 68020

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
    #15
    I'm no expert but probably not. That's only 170Mhz difference.
     
  16. andygiff macrumors newbie

    andygiff

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    #16
    hi. Had my 24" imac (2.16ghz, 2Gb ram, 7600 256Mb) for a week, it's great. Not missing my Vaio/XP at all. Finally I can truly multi-task. Screen is an absolute peach as well.
     
  17. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #17
    I've calculated how much it would come up to for both the 20" and 24" with upgrades of 2 GB Ram and the video cards. There's a few hundred dollars of difference between the two, and personally, the size doesn't bother me at all. I've got a 17" monitor right now, and getting the 20" iMac would big enough for me. The only reason I wanted the 24" over the 20" is because of the better graphic card. Now, I'm not an extreme gamer, but I do like to play games sometimes. I still play an old game like Diablo II, and I play Doom 3, UT2k4. I know with the video card in the 20" won't last me forever, especially with future games that will come out, but like I said, I'm no huge gamer...so it doesn't bother me too much. At the moment though, for games like I just mentioned, Doom 3, UT2k4, or other current game of that genre, would the 20" with the upgraded video card suffice? Is there that big of a difference? Because the difference in price is around 500$, which is quite a lot for me. So basically, I guess what I'm asking is, would the 20" with upgraded VC perform well enough for the current games on the market?
     
  18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
  19. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #19
    Alright. Well, I think I'll buy it tonight! :p I'm tired of waiting...
     
  20. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    I hope you weren't sarcastic by saying that...
     
  21. dadorama macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    #22
    Similar Boat

    Well, not to put ever more doubt in you head, but...

    I've been facing a similar dilemma and decided to go the route that was suggested earlier- buy a capable but inexpensive unit now (say, under $1k), and see what Apple releases later this year before commiting that $2k+. I know myself, and know if a faster bus, processor, and higher resolution/bit depth display (think macbook pro here...) are released within a few months of a big $ commitment on my part, I'll feel a lot of buyers remorse.

    Consider: The 17" imac, with the 2Ghz C2D, has the same basic performance of the 20" imac- same ati x1600 video card, etc. I can buy one on ebay for about $800 - $900. That's cheap. Even a 20" refurb from Apple or ebay are not much more than $1k.

    I get to familarize myself with current mac OS stuff for a few months, then give the imac to my son (in high school), and I'm ready for the new machines. You know this summer/fall will get here pretty quick...
     
  22. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #23
    If I keep waiting for something better to come out, I'll never buy a computer...I've made my mind. I'll stick with my decision. If something comes out tomorrow, next week, in a month, so be it. I know what I'll using my Mac for, and the system I'll buy should be more than enough for my needs.
     
  23. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #24
    One thing that would make me regret this purchase is if there was suddenly a price drop on the current iMacs. But I mean, there's always going to be better prices as years go by...so again, I'll buy it now and stick with it.
     
  24. 4God macrumors 68020

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
    #25

    Yeah, but I think you get like 10-14 days from ship date price protection.
    So, if you ordered today and it shipped on Monday (April the 2nd), then
    I guess if Apple lowered the price because of some update to the line, then
    you could call Apple and they would refund you the difference. That is, as long
    as it is in the required time frame.

    I'm ordering a MacPro on April 7th, so that way
    if there is something new announced at NAB (April 15th) and there is a price drop
    on the 2.66's, then I'll call 'em up and request the refund of the difference.

    FWIW, I don't need an8 core MacPro, I'm just hoping for a price drop. :D
     

Share This Page