So if you have allergies....you're a Meth dealer...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Apr 15, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I got carded and asked to sign a register at CVS yesterday since I was purchasing an over the counter product. Thank you Patriot Act.

Link.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Patriot Act hell...there's an unbelievable amount of people in our area making meth. They'll drive from store to store buying bottles of the stuff. I think it's just a throw-in on the PatAct. I worked for a company that sold dry ice. It took me a few weeks to figure out our 'regular' customers were using it in their manufacturing process.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

;)

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What medications contain pseudoephedrine? EDIT: I looked it up...hmmm.... Never mind. So non-histaminergic decongestants, basically?

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There are a lot of states that had laws in place prior to the PA. I think Oregon requires a Dr's RX. Anyhydrous ammonia is used as a fertilizer, Montana now requires that all tanks be locked up at all times because it is an ingredient in meth.

Meth is the greatest scourge this country has known. It literally rots the brain.

It may be a hassle to sign for the stuff, but it's one hassle I'll gladly put up with.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But surely if you have nothing to hide, it's no big deal... right?

If it stops one meth dealer.... :rolleyes:

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Hassle? What business is it of the government's if I buy a pack of allergy medicine, and why should my name be put into some database?

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

whatsmatter? you one of those libbie freaks who doesn't think it's worthwhile to trade in your freedom from signing a form to protect the children? think of the children!

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have no problem showing an id. i don't like the registry though. blah.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's an interesting world where you have access to as much pr0n as you want, without being carded, but OTC decongestants get you in trouble, Sir. :eek: ;) :)

I personally think that, if this is a big concern on the government's mind, the DEA people should've worked with the FDA people to convert these drugs into prescription drugs, and use existing safeguards. Just creating new programs which register people to control these substances strikes me as being overly cavalier...

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A very large percentage of pseudoephedrine medications get reprocessed into meth, one of the most damaging and addictive narcotics in existence. I don't recall the proportion, but from what I've read, it's quite astonishing. These products should probably be controlled with prescriptions, but I have a feeling the drug companies aren't going to sit still for that.

My advice is to find something else to take for your allergies -- pseudoephedrine is nasty stuff even in its native form. I tried it a couple of times and hated it.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This probably would be the best way to handle the situation. But since I doubt it will happen, does anyone have any idea if this is actually working? I mean, does it really lessen the availability of Meth on the streets? If it does, then I sort of support this. If it doesn't and it is just some political BS to make it look like those on capital hill are actually doing something, then it is just stupid.

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

If it's that bad, then they should have done the sensible thing and made it a precription durg.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

I wonder why the government hasn't done the same with Robitussin or other cough OTC medications. Dextromethorphan is an excellent dissociative and hallucinogen. And you don't even have to do any voodoo in order to shortcircuit your brain. Just down two bottles and fasten your seat belt!

What a bunch of hogwash.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes.

And outlawed tobacco.

But the interests are too vested to do the right thing.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sure, Robitussin overdose is harmful. Same can be said of vodka.

The issue is that sudafed reprocessed into crystal meth, the damage is multiplied a hundredfold. And while there may be isolated cases of cough medicine and allergy pill abuse, the combination of the potency and the black market trade on crystal meth dwarfs the other problems.

Our neighbour across the street got hooked on crystal meth at age 12, and is still trying to kick it at age 18 after numerous interventions and programmes. This $##! destroys lives.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Honestly, meth is f***ed up s***, and I'll support anything to help stop it...

if people are going to start drug habits, starting on meth is just about the worst thing you can do.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It was. In the 80s it was made over the counter at the insistence of the drug companies.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It hasn't changed usage at all but it has pushed the manufacture of meth south of the border. Meth manufacturing is extremely toxic and makes some homes uninhabitable. It's pushed a lot of meth makers into forests where they dump the toxic byproducts into streams. Cleanup is extremely expensive. Obviously, the US is saving millions on clean up and detoxification by not having it made north of the border. So I guess it's making somewhat of a difference although Mexico is now suffering from toxic meth sites and the costs of cleanup.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah I've heard of neighbors of people who make meth having serious health problems through the byproducts leaching from one house to another! :eek:

Seriously...the war on drugs isn't working and banning pot is stupid etc etc, but anything to get rid of meth is worth it.

22. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

i don't like the black book, its a hassle, sure. But where I live, there is a lotta lotta meth. I can live with the book if it lowers the meth level.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a nephew who was addicted to the stuff. He had a brain aneurysm one day while waiting at a bus stop. Fortunately a bus was there and he was only a few blocks from Cedars Sinai Hospital or he wouldn't be alive today. He was 22 when it happened.

He can walk now, but he can't read, can't remember the beginning of a half hour tv show that he's watching, etc, etc. There's no hope that he'll ever lead a normal life.

I've heard it said that it's better to be a heroin addict than a meth addict because meth truly destroys the brain.

24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yup that's Amerika for ya.

You'd think they'd be able to tell the difference between an allergy sufferer buying 1 pack of pills versus a meth dealer buying a bakers dozen.

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. Do you really want to put the responsibility on a sales clerk to determine the difference between a drug dealer and a allergy sufferer?

2. It wouldn't be that hard to pay a bunch of 12 or 13 year olds $5 to go in a each buy a pack of pills. Hell, as a poor college student, I'd purchase something at the pharmacy if it meant $5 (assuming I didn't know it was for drugs).