So, I'll be in Israel next year....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Jul 24, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

....and people keep bugging me about it!

This is kind of a rant and kind of a request for advice.

Next year I'll be spending my freshman year of college in Israel through the Nativ College Leadership Program. As I'm sure many of you know, Israel is currently in the middle of what's basically a war with the Hezbollah terrorists situated in Lebanon. Right now, I'm in the middle of waiting to see if a) my trip gets canceled and I'll have to go to regular college (which I very much don't want to do) or b) my trip doesn't get canceled and I'll get to go to Israel (yay!). Everybody who knows I'm going, of course, is saying "Are you still going?!?" or "You must be crazy if you want to spend a year there!" or something else along those lines.

What do you guys think?

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm not sure what to think, but I wish you the best.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think the fact people are questioning your trip is because they care about you. And you have to understand, that's not someting everyone would do, so people are curious as to why you're still doing it. I'd ask you the same questions if I knew you

4. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Feel free to ask away, and I'll be happy to explain. :)

5. sobolobo macrumors member

Go. It'll be the experience of a lifetime. I'm going to the Middle East in December/January whether it's war or not.
    Sure, it's dangerous but is that enough of a deterrent?

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i would say this. if you want to go (i believe you do), stay alert. i hope you speak yiddish. that would help when one shouts something (which is very relevant if it means BOMB! i believe it translate to "bombe").

correct me if i am wrong. RUN! = gang, loif (very very important word to know).

try to get to know the place where you are going. maybe there are forums where you could join and find out more about the place.

7. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

I think you should go there too. Even if it's still in the middle of a crisis the whole experience will make you another person. It will be a mind-altering experience to watch first hand the real devastation of war, not just cnn's selected shots.

As far as how dangerous it will be, no one really knows an answer at this time. If the situation gets escalated and more countries join in (Iran, Syria, US/UK), then there will be not much to see in Israel in a year from now.
    Also i don't think Hezbollah will still be attacking with rockets in a year from now. When they lose all their weaponry due to Israeli bombing, am sure they will start sending suicide bombers all over Israel. But Israeli civil security is probably the best i've seen so far and have a record of preventing suicide attacks.

I have been to Israel and Lebanon many times as i live very nearby (Cyprus). Both are beautiful, magical places filled with culture and history.
    I say know the risks and go there prepared, the beautiful Mediterranean sea is worth it all. Israeli chicks are the best too! :cool: ;)

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Go

It'll be an interesting experience- I'm also willing to bet that the school is in a much safer area, otherwise they would cancel your trip. It's not in their interest to get their students killed.

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Register with the American Embassy. Otherwise, enjoy yourself!

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

good advice.

Just be careful, that's all.

11. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Yep. :D

12. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

you don't work for the ministry of tourism do you?

;)

13. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Nope, i got first hand experience. :p

Cruises from Cyprus to Israel are cheap, off-season are about $60 so its a great way to spend the weekend in Haifa. Waiting for this mess to stop so i can visit Tel-Aviv this time.

Egypt is even cheaper to go, but i hate sand in my camera.