So I'm looking to buy a MacBook....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thealger, May 31, 2006.

1. thealger macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple store to mess around, I saw the MacBook and fell in love with it. I'm looking to buy one.. what are the differences between the pro and the regular? I know the screen size and GHZ.. is the extra $1000 worth it? would I be able to upgrade the mac with a GeForce 6600 graphics card and a gig of RAM I already have? I don't plan to game on it.. maybe CS 1.6 (which is WIN98) every now and then.. (I don't know much if anything about laptops) should I buy one off of ebay or the apple store? order it? buy a used one? soo many questions sorry.. I don't want to spend $2000 on something which wont be useful to me.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you don't plan to game on it, and you don't do lots of heavy image editing, the MacBook would be the choice if you are happy with the screen size, non-illuminated keyboard, etc. Have you given Photoshop Elements for the Mac a test drive? It might serve your needs, and the Universal will be coming along.

3. thealger thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't played in Photoshop with a Mac yet, but I heard it's a lot easier with Macs rather than Windows. What is the Universal? :|

Plus, I read in the MacBook guide I can change the harddrive in it.. so would I be able to take my 300 gig Western Digital HDD out of my Windows machine and put it in there?

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You can not upgrade the video card in the MacBooks. You can add RAM but it must be specific to that model. You can upgrade the hard drive with a 2.5" laptop drive, not a drive from a desktop.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The Universal is the Universal Binary version, designed to serve both older Macs and the new Intel Macs. Non-universal programs run under a transparent emulation layer called Rosetta.

As for your drive, that will not fit in anybody's notebook. The Apple, like most every other portable, accepts 2.5" drives. It connects via SATA, a much faster controller than the old ATA/IDE, so you need a SATA 2.5" drive. I think these come now in 160GB max, but hold out a little while. SATA 2.5"s are undergoing a lot of development right now, in terms of size, speed and energy consumption. I would recommend living with your Apple drive for awhile.

As for memory, take it as is with 512MB of RAM and order 2x1GB simms and upgrade the memory yourself. 512MB is not enough if you have any need for speed.

Hope that helps!