Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I ordered a white nano a week or so ago and I should receive it by the end of this week. I deffinatley think I am going to be sending it back now though because of the new ipods.

What about you guys? Is everyone sending their nanos back? How can I justify a nano and a new Ipod?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
WTF

iPod nano is built for an entirely different market than the iPod, honestly comeon now people, lets use some knowledge of things.

nano = good for running/working out and holding small amounts of data

iPod = good for long treks and your entire music collection

Hence why i have 2 iPods and am buying a nano soon.

for the love of god do people not understand the word niche?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, I wouldn't use the video feature, and 4 GB can hold my whole itunes library right now, so I'd have no use for the new ipod - it would just be bigger, more cumbersome, and more expensive. all depends on your usage.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I don't think the nano's should be valid for return because of the new iPods.

Sure, they are both iPods, but they are two different models. An upgrade to one model shouldn't mean returning a lesser model is OK.

For example...say I saved up $1300 for an iBook, bought it, and then suddenly G5 powerbooks came out a week later. I bought a bottom of the line iBook, not top of the line powerbook. Therefore I should not be able to return my iBook towards the purchase of a powerbook.

Obviously if you bought a nano you didn't pay $300 or $400 for it, so why should it be OK to return because a model twice the price got upgraded?

Regular iPods bought at or near the same price, OK...but not nanos or shuffles.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
The normal iPod is for people with a large amount of music in their libary. But if you only have a few hundred songs, there is no reason to buy the full size ipod over the nano.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I agree with eva01, they are meant for different markets.

After seeing both, I think Iam going to sell my mini and purchase a black nano. The size & weight of the nano is much better suited for people on the go and/or people who always have their laptop with them.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
I have a PSP and NEVER have used the video function for a purpose. I put a couple of videos on there but never really watched them.

To me its just a sales point. It doesn't really matter for me........ i have a nano and would never return this beauty

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
This thread is ridiculous. First of all, most people buy a product because it fits their needs, not because it's the newest and coolest. It seems like you just got the Nano because it was the hot thing, but now that something better has come out you want. I like the analogy used earlier comparing what your doing to trading an iBook for a G5 Powerbook. They are two separate lines, intended for different purposes and most people take this into consideration before buying. Also, most people aren't in the position to take a big loss on something they just bought to get something that's "better". The Nano is an awesome product, and I think most people will stick with it.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Not necessarily. I have about 1100 songs in my library, but when I was in the market, a Nano's storage would have sufficed. But, I have over 25 GB of videos on this computer alone that I would love to put on an iPod. So those with small music collections but large video collections may be returning :).

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Well, how easy is it going to be to get your own videos on to this new iPod? I've got some mpegs videos of some of my favorite bands live and I'd like to get them on this new fangled iPod. I got a Mini from my girlfriend about a year ago, and unfortunately I've out grown the 1,000 song cap and I'm thinking of asking for a new 30GB iPod for *mas this year. We shall see. I'd like to put live videos and such on there, so hopefully I can find an easy way. Will you be able to use MactheRipper to rip some DVDs down in mpeg4 and throw them on there? Guess these probably aren't questions of the moment since we don't have them yet, but surely questions that need to be answered.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well given the choice I would of opted for a 30 GB iPod with Video play back instead of a 4 Gb nano for only $50 more. I think the OP has a valid point.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I would go for a Nano right now since i have no use for video and already have a 60 and 10 gig iPod

i need something small enough for running, but with a screen

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
eva01 said:
I would go for a Nano right now since i have no use for video and already have a 60 and 10 gig iPod

i need something small enough for running, but with a screen
I think the shuffle is the most ideal device for jogging and such. The presence of a color screen on the nano makes it unsuitable for such activity. Who glances at their mp3 player in the middle of a lap to look at the album art?

I have to say, unfortunately, the OP has a point. But my advice would be to keep the nano and "top off" with the new iPod. They each rokr in their own right. :rolleyes:

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Yeah, as long as it's not engraved or anything, you're good to go. Don't open it and just return it, or better yet, have them cancel it if it hasn't shipped. I'm very slightly upset that I bought a nano (after resisting for so long! I mean almost two weeks) and now there's one six times bigger for $50 more. The video function is meaningless to me.

But the reality is that I prefer the nano. It's smaller, lighter and pretty much all around better for me(where are guys supposed to store all the crap we carry around now? My pockets are filling up quickly, between keys and cell phone and wallet and iPod...and I hate bulging pockets). And I'll never be away from my computer long enough (at least anywhere with electricity) to run out of music with ~900 songs. I don't need my entire library with me at all times; that's what playlists are for. I know some people would disagree, but I'd need the 60GB iPod and I'd rather have size and sleekness and $150+ than all of my music at the touch of a button.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Koodauw said:
Well given the choice I would of opted for a 30 GB iPod with Video play back instead of a 4 Gb nano for only $50 more. I think the OP has a valid point.

I don't agreewith that, and have agree with eva and Josh.

The High capacity nano is intended for a seperate market. You are paying a premium over the base nano to get more space and still have a small, light, durable and fun ipod for use almost anyplace.

image.php

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
brepublican said:
I think the shuffle is the most ideal device for jogging and such. The presence of a color screen on the nano makes it unsuitable for such activity. Who glances at their mp3 player in the middle of a lap to look at the album art?

I have to say, unfortunately, the OP has a point. But my advice would be to keep the nano and "top off" with the new iPod. They each rokr in their own right. :rolleyes:

During running, and riding I change playlists, and songs quite often. And since I buy upto 10 songs at a time on ITMS and don't know them right away, it is nice to glance at the screen to see what is playing. It is also nice to check the time, look at notes, and be able to create playlists on the fly.

image.php

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm pretty rough on my iPods so the hard drives usually only last a little under twelve months. I'm needing a new iPod and there's no doubt that I want a nano, not a video iPod.

1. I'll rarely, if ever, watch videos.
  2. I want something that's Flash-based.
  3. My library is currently 70GB so space is not an issue. No matter what, I'll have to select only the songs I want each day - easy.
  4. The nano looks better IMO.
  5. I need to put something in that little pocket in my jeans and I don't have any coins. :(

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
DeSnousa said:
Am I missing something, am I the only one who thinks it's wrong to return a iPod in order to get another.

I'm assuming that people are returning unopened iPods, which is perfectly reasonable if you'd ordered one in the past few days without being aware of the new models with more features and greater capacity. Otherwise, I'd agree with you completely.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I wont be returning my Nano, but i may well look into getting a 5g 30gb iPod so i can carry my whole music collection with me.......

Shadow

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
I cancelled my nano order/request.

Why?

Because I was only buying the nano for the software features, updated aesthetics/colour, and freshness of the product. I initially didn't want it because of the shortcomings, including size, ability to output video, and ability to record voicememos with a 3rd party tool, etc, but I was willing to sacrifice that. The 60GB is what fit my needs before, and that I had ditched for the nano. Now, the 60GB iPod has everything I need. (Well, except the in-ear headphones, the Speck iKitty (MROWWWW!!!11one), and the universal dock with Apple Remote. :D)

MrBlonde

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
Niche?

eva01 said:
WTF

iPod nano is built for an entirely different market than the iPod, honestly comeon now people, lets use some knowledge of things.

nano = good for running/working out and holding small amounts of data

iPod = good for long treks and your entire music collection

Hence why i have 2 iPods and am buying a nano soon.

for the love of god do people not understand the word niche?

I can think of lots of words to describe the "logic" of owning two iPods and now heading out to buy a nano... and "niche" definitely isn't one of them. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.