So is this showing USB 3.0 ok to use?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joeysarks, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I know it's just a bottle slowly spinning, but is this showing that USB 3.0 can handle constant streams of video even with its packet style delivery?

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/USB-3-0-Demo-HD-Video-Capture-a

Seems to be lots of debate on whether it's ok to use or not. Some people seem to think it's not viable, but i've seen on forums that some people are starting to use it more often now.

2. macrumors 6502a

From an amateur's point of view, it doesn't convince me.

I'll still go with Thunderbolt/FireWire.

I'm sure that no matter how fast USB gets, as long as it transfers data in the same way, it probably won't be ideal.

3. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Blackmagic Design has a line of USB 3 I/O devices so USB 3 is faster enough to handle at least a stream of 10-bit uncompressed HD video.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Well that sounds promising, didn't even know they had one that records using USB. (I have an extreme that uses Thunderbolt)

Main reason I asked is i'm picking out my new computer and I wanted to know if I could use my USB 3.0 7200rpm external to record directly to, instead of picking something with an SSD specifically for recording high rates and then moving it to my external for editing. Sounds like I don't have to buff up the hard drive in whatever I get now...unless of course I want a peppy FCPX boot time.