So is Tiger really worth $76?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, May 1, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Is Tiger worth $76? (College student)

Thanks!

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't regret my decision. I don't think i would have paid $129 for it, unless i had a 2 GHz G5.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The local fry's was running a deal on it the night it was launched. I got it for $99! I am slightly disappointed with the feature set, but oh well. Atleast I didn't pay full price for it.

4. gwangung macrumors 65816

If you look at the eye candy...maybe yes, maybe not. Spotlight and Dashboard are potentially useful tools that we haven't scratched the surface of, yet.

However, all the under the dashboard improvements intrigue me. The response is definitely (thought not overwhelmingly) smoother (G3 900MHz ibook and a dual 867 MDD). The kernal work has apparently set the stage for further improvements.

5. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

That's what I was thinking... When I went to the premier. I played with all the things that got all the hype (dashboard, etc.). I really wasn't completely impressed... But then I started reading about all the other 200+ improvements, and those are the things that are starting to convince me.

6. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Read this (very) comprehensive review from Ars Tecnicha to understand why Tiger is so much more than just Dashboard and Spotlight and why it is indeed a worthy upgrade.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I am, and a smiley just to prove it :)! I'm impressed with the speed boost, the new toys and the little changes throughout the system (still getting used to Mail's new look though!). Fingers crossed, I haven't encountered any bugs as yet.

But even those who might be currently underwhelmed will be reaping the benefits in the months to come, as developers come to grips with the new tools given to them. And it's positively a steal at $76!

Edit: darn spelling.

9. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Dashboard, the new quicktime, automator, and whatever else is being promotoed aren't really worth the upgrade. Spotlight is pretty usefull. iChat got an update with features it should of already had. For reasons I would say its not worth the upgrade, but the system uses less of cpu power than before. For that I think its worth it.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mail and Safari have nice updates, Dashboard is cool, Spotlight is *very* cool, but to be honest, at least on a G4 iBook, the update was almost worth it just from how much snappier the UI is. It makes it feel like a new computer in a lot of ways. :) I'm happy, but you might not be.

But then again, I went on record before upgrading as saying that I only got Tiger at all (esp. by pre-order) so I could be in on the fun with the MR gang...were it not for that, I probably would not have bothered.

12. Wiyum macrumors newbie

Worth it? Of course!

Only a day in, and I'm working much faster because of Spotlight. In the many months leading up to release, I though it was the stupidest feature to hype, and I was really excited about Dashboard, for minor reasons like being able to check the weather or use a calculator (things I did at least daily) without ever really leaving what I was working on.

Well, I like Dashboard alot for those very same (minor) reasons. But Spotlight has changed the way I work with my computer. They said it, and it sounded like empty hype. But it truly has. Mail indexing has even convinced me to make the switch over to Mail, something I vowed I'd never do. I'm not looking back!

If only I could get Automator to export an application version of my workflow that would work, I'd be 100% satisfied.

Will

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It really seems true to me, if you allow it to be, as well. Even if your files are well named and extremely well organized, and you know exactly where to find what you want, I think for the majority of people, Spotlight will *still* be a substiantally faster way of getting to them than navigating traditional routes. :eek: Now that's something.

But I do have to train myself. I go to mail and use its spotlight bar, and fiddle with the all mailboxes / entire message settings, and so on...I should just be using the menu bar spotlight.

Wowsers.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

15. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I'm using a 1.0ghz g4 iBook. Thinking upgrade to 12" P'book soon.. But anyway, sounds good, always welcome!

Does anyone know if Tiger fixed the problem some iBook (including me) users had with the color preferences changing when the screen savor activates?

16. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I would first check to see if your school offers tiger in some type of mass license that they can give to students. They did let you borrow Panther and install it for free but now they are on a buy your own copy for $20 blah blah blah.

Here's a quote...

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't heard about this, but look at reply #176 and follow-ups in here...it looks like there are some issues people are experiencing with color calibration in Tiger. :(

18. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I'm convinced.

Now, I think I'll wait to buy though: my dad is probably buying a new mac iBook or Powerbook soon.

19. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I've completely changed my perspective...

Tiger is awesome! I played with a dual 2ghz G5 with a 30" display for a long time today. Completely went through every feature. (What a machine to do it on!)

I just can't wait to get my hands on it now.

20. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I don't have Tiger yet, but I will be getting it soon. One thing that I've noticed....People may not really benefit from Spotlight until they get used to it being there. When I first got Panther, I never used Expose and thought "why would I use this?" Now I use it all the time because I've gotten familiar with it being there. Only after the users get to use Tiger for 3 months or so will we be able to say if the features are truly valuable or not. ~Josh

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this is very true. I am slowly learning to rely on Dashboard. I haven't even gotten to a number of the other goodies I have been looking forward to, such as XCode 2 or Automator. Actually I'm not that thrilled about Automator personally. But I do also want to start trying smart folders.

For Spotlight, just to add a little to that -- if you have used search in Mail, iCal or Finder, all of those search engines are now spotlight enhanced. So even if you don't use the spotlight menu bar thingie, you will immediately start getting better searches. :)

22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

4 days in and i'm making my own contextual items in automator for the finder, the dictionary is awesome! (open it, check the "open dictionary panel" in the prefs., then press apple-ctrt-d and start clicking on words- awesome!)
    Have a look at all the cool widgets available - only a week in. Checking my spelling as I type etc etc. Spotlight is so superfast - faster finding your mail from the menu bar!
    Man, it's so worth it, you Yanks don't know you're born!
    True, loads more will come from experience, but already, 4 days in, it's kicking ass (safari SO much quicker, Mail too (I like the GUI of mail but others dont), Finder quicker - PB G3 500 384MB RAM - EVERYTHING quicker!
    SO SO SO Worth IT!

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You wont regret it. I know I dont.

I got it, installed it on my G4 400 MHz. Everything feels so much faster and smoother. It was done installing in about 20 minutes too! :D Panther is slow compared to Tiger. Though Expose is a tad slower, though I bet they'll fix that with 10.4.1.

24. thecow macrumors 6502

I think we need to wait a few months before anyone can really see the inprovements in tiger. It takes a while to get used to a new way of doing things. It took me 4-5 months to get used to using exposé in panther because I had been using a computer with a GUI for 5 years before exposé came out and I was so used to managing windows by moving them arrouind and minamizing them. It was worse going from DOS on a 7MHz tandy to a Mac clone running System 7.6 at 132 MHz. I'm one of the few teenagers that I know that knows what a boot floppy is.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the great link. I am looking to add/upgrade and now am happy that Tiger will be part of the mix.