So it's Hallowe'en Night...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chundles, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

...and thousands of people across Australia are waiting at their doors to tell the kids trick or treating to bugger off.

Hallowe'en is an American holiday, it's never been big here but due to all the television we get from the states the kiddies seem to have it in their heads that dressing up in costume and asking for lollies at the doors of strangers on what is a hot, bright (daylight saving is doing its job) mid-spring evening.

You guys in the states have all the Hallowe'en you want but to all the Aussie kids here, take off the costumes, get some shorts on and go play some cricket in the backyard like we've always done this time of year.

Bah bloody humbug.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They bother to wear costumes over there? Over here they turn up at your door uncostumed weeks before hand demanding money.

Bah bloody humbug indeed. :mad:

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've never seen anyone dressed up going around trick or treating. If they knocked on my door I'd probably just tell them to go away. I really just don't see the point of it all...

4. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

I had a couple like that a few weeks ago - spoke with an American acccent so I thought they were just disoriented with jetlag but, get this, they both turned up in the same costume... dressed as Men In Black only they had name tags.

They weren't after my money though, they wanted my soul.

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

So that's a trans-Pennine custom? I thought we were the only ones...

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They do tend to go around in pairs I believe, so that isn't too bad, however as a general rule of thumb name tags are a bit of a no-no for top secret undercover types. :p

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It happens in Sheffield too.

They seem to think a hoody and a knife is a costume :rolleyes:

8. Badradio macrumors 6502

It's a uniform around here....

Thanks to Chundles for starting this thread; I don't feel as much of a killjoy for planning to head home, turn off the lights, put on some music and ignore the front door now.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When I was a kid in Scotland, we always dressed up at Halloween and went out 'guising' - which was long before we got all the Hollywood imports.

You went round your local street in your costume but it wasn't 'trick or treat'. Instead, you had to tell a joke or sing a song or read a poem. And depending on how good it was, you got more or less sweeties.

But now, yeah, they turn up here and just ask for Trick or Treat. Never had any down in London but Mum has a glowing pumpkin plate with sweets just waiting for those of her pals that she knows has kids and will likely turn up.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Champions League tonight so I wont be answering the door even if i hear it :D

11. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

No wuckers mate, always good to know there's somebody else out there, outside the US who thinks the whole thing is a waste of energy.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, the scrounging little beggers are a nationwide phenomenon.

And City are on the radio tonight so there's no chance of me answering, either. :p

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It must be weird seeing witches, ghosts, goblins and michael jackson roaming the streets on a hot summers day. I still find Christmas in Australia a bit weird too. If it aint cold, dark and miserable its not Christmas. :D

BTW Christmas sucks ass too.

14. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, my place is in a neighbourhood of mostly apartment blocks so there's not too many about but up where my folks live (small, highlands town, cool climate) there are a heap of them. Wasn't that hot today either, topped out around 26°C - 28°C. Up in western Sydney it was around 32°C so pretty mild really.

I actually like Christmas in the summer, amazing, fresh seafood, all the good fruit is in season and we've got air conditioning. I don't mind Christmas all that much - we're top-notch present givers in my family. The best thing is there's about 6 weeks between Christmas and my birthday which so far has proven to be just enough to get two sets of presents. :D

But Hallowe'en? No thanks. We may as well do Thanksgiving too...

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've already carved my pumpkin and filled a bowl with sweets to give to the little kids that bang on my door. Then I'm off to get smashed at a Hallowe'en party wearing a mask that I can only describe as 'Gandalf the Ghey®'.

Happy times!

Edit: Oh, and I brought in toffee apples for my employees :D

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

And what about Bonfire Night?

"Penny for the guy?"

"**** off, you scrounging little ********* *** munching *******"

:mad:

The little gits only go and spend it on fireworks and cider anyway. And the best 'guy' ive seen lately was a carrier bag with a cushion in it, wearing a t-shirt. Minimalism perhaps?

Lazy ass scrounging skags more like.

/end rant

17. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I am from the U.S. and let me tell you something about Halloween.

It is the pits!!!!

I used to give out candy and take my kids, but when I lived in Connecticut you had teenagers, teenagers!!! what a bunch of rubbish, all they did was complain what you gave them. They weren't thankful.

They weren't even suppose to be out trick or treating.

Ever since 1991 I have taken my kids out to eat and to a movie that night.

My kids thoroughly enjoyed that alot more than getting the candy!!!

Now I work most halloween nights not to mention i live in the country where we don't get any of the little buggers.

Hope you all enjoyed yours with what ever you had planned!

18. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yank. :D

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hey, at least they bothered with a guy – the last time bonfire night scroungers knocked on my door they didn't even have one!

Scrounging kids Penny for the guy! (hold hands out expecting cash)
    Jaffa Cake You don't have a guy! And it's only halfway through October!
    Scrounging kids **** off, you ******!

:mad:

20. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

A couple of kids knocked on my door on the 28th 'trick or treating', and it knocked me sideways. For 5 minutes I couldn't remember if Haloween was th 28th or 31st! LOL

Brain must be tired and/or old... :(

21. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

When I was a kid, an attitude like that would have gotten you this.

[​IMG]

22. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

This is what my attitude gets me here:

Yeah, it's nothing. We don't do Hallowe'en.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yeah? Very creative. Around here nowadays they just piss in your doorway, like the enterprising youngsters who were touring Miss Jaffa Cake's parent's street the other night.

Loveable little scamps.

24. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

After stuffing fireworks through your letterbox. ;)

25. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Sometimes they just throw bullets through your window - those guys must have good arms because they can get them through the window and into the walls behind.