So its illegal to protest military funerals...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, May 25, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

But not to protest homo funerals, or anyone else for that matter...:rolleyes:

Link...

Now I know that state laws banning disturbing ANY funerals will probably come of this, but leave it to Congress.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There are certain decencies and respect that should be protected.

If that lunatic showed up at a funeral for one of my loved ones, I'd probably shoot him.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I know I would. And the jail time would be worth it, if any jury would convict me.

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

While I have always been a strong supporter of first admendment rights, and in some ways it is dangerous to begin limiting those rights, the case at hand I will have to agree with congress. While when I die, I don't want a service, in fact I would rather my body be thrown in the ground somewhere, left to help feed mother nature. However, for those that choose to have a service, the family (and the dead) deserve the respect to have a peaceful service without protesters. I mean, the first admendment doesn't protect from me yelling fire in a crowded cinema (I wouldn't do that if it did), doing that causes panic and un-rest. Protesting a funeral service (while doesn't cause panic, could be said to cause un-rest) for ANYONE is not right.

I never thought I would disagree with the ACLU and agree with Congress... but I will have to agree here. On the otherhand, it makes me wonder how many times in the future they will claim that the protesting causes disruption or disrespect, etc. In Crawford they banned protesting outside Bush's ranch, saying that protesters were interfering with residents in that area. In this case, I declared laws keeping protesters from that area to be against the first admendment. So I don't usually agree with any laws restricting protesters (if I agree with them or not). However, I guess even me, very far on the left, can see the sanctity of a funeral service, and that is something that no one should break.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, it's a step. These *******s that go to these funerals and protest ought to get tear gassed and beaten down. **** "freedom of speach" when it's does nothing but attacking the people who are dead and those who are mourning them.

Had my girlfriend's father's funeral been protested, there would have been a lot of psycho-Christian blood spilled.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

what a world we live in wear a law like this needs to be made in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the law, but the fact that a law is needed at all is disgusting.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Welcmoe to the United Sates of Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

[​IMG]

Holy **** - this person thinks this is Christianity? "Thank God for IEDs?"

You know, my brother is in the military. Two kids I grew up with have died in Iraq. I can honestly say I don't know what I would do to this type of person if they showed up at a funeral I was at.

It makes me sick.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As far as I'm concerned, that guy should be arrested for hate crimes
    and undergo a complete psych evaluation.

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Evaluation?

None needed.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What we really need is a law authorizing the psychiatric community to show up en masse, throw a large butterfly net around these people, and haul them off.

Seriously.

But I'll settle for this in the meantime.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We don't. This law was passed in response to one incident. Once again, Congress is spending its precious legislative time dealing with the issues that really matter.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

This hasn't occurred only one time, this has occurred DOZENS of times.

14. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I just hope this is a mesage to those Christians (I am not saying all think like this, I am saying that I know some at my school who do, and I suspect there are others) who tend to generalize all Muslims as terrorists, classifying the entire culture and religious group. There are radicals on all sides, and not all Christians "Thank God For IEDs" just like not all Muslims hate Christians/Americans (many are indeed Americans).

I am not involved with either religion, I just know that there is so much hate between all these different religious groups and it is sad for me to see.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was only aware of the one time, by this one group of religious nuts. Either way, passing a law to explicitly target the First Amendment rights of one group is a dangerous business.

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

I actually find myself in agreement with Fred for once.

All religious fundamentalist lunacy aside, down to brass tacks, a specific group's rights are being attacked for the simple reason that we don't like how they think. This is wrong. We all have the right to speak out against things we don't like, and the WBC is no exception. Last time I checked, the Constitution doesn't protect us from getting our feelings hurt.

It'll be interesting to see if the WBC decides to challenge this law after Bush signs it.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm gonna have to say that this law is a bad idea. Once they pass it for one circumstance, why not for any other? We've already seen our executive branch push the law past the limits of common sense. With such an emotionally charged subject, I think the constitution needs to be our guide, here.

Oh, and if they showed up at a funeral I was at, there would be a beat down. That's the reciprocal of allowing them to protest. Their rights are protected, but not their physical safety. Any moron who chants "God hates fags" at a funeral in protest should expect to get their ass handed to them.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I can't agree with this law, no matter how hideous those people are.

At the same time, I can't help but think there should be some sort of stipulation. Maybe along the lines of- go ahead and protest the funeral, but if you get the crap beat out of you, you have no legal recourse. :)

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you or I showed up at a Synagogue or a Mosque with degrading signs
    blaming them for all the worlds problems, they would arrest us immediately under hate crime statutes.

It is also illegal to promote discrimination on federal or state property or in the workplace.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What hate crime is being committed in this theoretical instance? If they picketed outside a place of worship on public property there's no law against that.

While making a racist comment might cost you your job or land you in civil court (if part of a deeper pattern of discrimination against employees), I've never heard of anyone going to jail because they were openly bigoted and discriminatory.

I'd like to see some proof of these claims.

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

The mere fact that they state that GOD HATES FAGS, GOD IS YOUR ENEMY, FAGS CAUSED THE WAR, etc etc. is bigoted and discrimenatory and is NOT protected under the first amendment. These ARE hatecrimes by definition. Emailing a gay person and calling them names is a hate crime, why shouldn't it be a hate crime to stand, at a MILITARY FUNERAL, protesting and shouting and having signs defaming gays be any different? Especially when the funeral has nothing to do with gay people in the first place.

I mean, biker's had to get involved at several funerals to protect the families and friends attending the funerals from these freaks. Why? Because their logic is allowing gays to live=against God=God's wrath=Iraq war=soldier's death= must bash and kill gays and kick American flags and stand around shouting ******** and have written signs that say the same.

Sorry, but this law is needed for a reason. It's not a one-time, or two-time, or even a twelve-time occurence. It happens EVERY SINGLE DAY now.

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

At a minimum it's an invasion of privacy, which is constitutionally protected. That's what will stand up in court, and I agree.

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

If this is true, then who gets to decide what's bigoted and discriminatory and what's not?

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

First Amendment rights are not absolute. None of our constitutional rights are. I haven't seen the law in question, but what would bother me is if it outlaws the CONTENT of what these protests are about. As reprehensible as these folks are, it is dangerous to move in the direction of outlawing speech because we don't like it. I see no problem with restricting noise levels and limiting protest to a reasonable distance from funeral sites, just as is done around hospitals throughout the country, but if we stop these idiots from voicing their stupid ideas - just because they are idiots - we are making a major mistake.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If you want to protest a funeral the best one i can think off is the suicidal bomber, killing anyone who happens to be near . Thats where we should protest.