So, its October, anyone have a 2nd gen Shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wPod, Oct 1, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Um, yeah, title says it all. Anyone have their 2nd gen shuffle yet, or know when they are shipping? I will go to the apple store and buy one as soon as they are in. I am just curious if anyone has a better estimate than "October" which is displayed on apple's web site. And, as soon as someone gets one, you better post pics!!!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We've got a thread on this here. Looks like they're not headed out the doors until the very end of the month.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think the word here was shipping dates were mid-late october....however I'm eagerly awaiting the 2nd Gen shuffles in the stores but its not all bad its not here yet because I spent all my cash on a Nano :)

Does anyone remember when the first shuffle was add to the iPod line up? The public found out about it in Jan, but it shipped in Marchish(If I recall correctly) but they still had them at the local Apple stores just to play with...wish they had that for the 2nd gen ones

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The original iPod shuffle was announced on January 11th, 2005. I ordered within two hours of the keynote ending and was given a ship date of January 26th. It actually shipped on January 19th and I received it on January 20th.

5. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yeah my estimated ship date is Oct. 31st, I'm banking on much earlier:rolleyes:

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I went to the mall today and they had second gen shuffles in the little iPod vending machine. I haven't been around MR very much lately, so I didn't realize that they haven't even shipped yet. But ya... check around... never know what you may find.

7. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Don't have one but I'm planning to get one along with my MacBook. According to Amazon.com, it'll be released October 11.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow very cool. I really want to see one.

9. PerfectlyFlawed macrumors newbie

whats an ipod vending machine?

10. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Yeah, me too, although Capt Undies has my interest more piqued in the vending machine at this point.

11. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I have seen these in airports, very interesting, look here. I have also seen similar vending machines for ProActive Acne treatment.

12. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Interesting. I guess I have seen those types of vending machines in airports. I think the one I saw was selling mobile phones.

These aren't operated by Apple then, right? Strange that a third party vending machine reseller would get access to the shuffle before even the Apple stores. I guess certain malls and airports are considered important enough to trump Apple's own stores.

13. irregardless macrumors member

I've always thought it amusing that a vending company would stock iPods at an airport, considering that the devices are almost useless without a computer to connected them to.

I suppose if you have a laptop, with iTunes, and your music already encoded on it, you could sync up in the terminal, but otherwise, it's just deadweight.

14. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

think about it this way. youre sitting around the airport board b/c you showed up 2 hours early to struggle through security. there ended up being no line. then about an hour before your flight you find out your flight is delayed, so you have 2 more hours to sit in the airport and wait. so, as you are wondering around the airport board out of your mind (beacuse the airline banned your laptop due to possibley explosive batteries) you see a cool vending machine with iPods. you think to yourself 'man, ive been wanting one of those' so you buy it. . . . 5 minutes after you buy it, you realize it doesnt have any pre-installed music! but at least it killed a few minutes b/c you were so bored.

anyway. thats cool that they are actually selling somewhere. apple probably shipped them with a note that said 'dont put on shelves until X day in Oct' that way they would be released everywhere at the same time. but someone at the vending machine place probably ignored that and stuck it in the vending machine anyway!

15. iDave macrumors 6502a

Cancelled my Shuffle order and bought a nano instead. I wish it had a clip on the back. :)

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The iPod vending machine or the shuffle? I snapped a pic of the machine because I was really excited to see it... I'm a nerd like that. You can see what I think are the new shuffles on the far right, a little up from the middle.

Attached Files:

17. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I only see first generation shuffles and nanos there, and a few accessories. No new shuffles. I really doubted that they put the new ones in there yet....

18. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Fourth row down all the way on the right....

19. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I believe what you are referring to is the ipod remote, which is the same size and similar in looks to the 2g shuffle.

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, that's just the iPod remote.

radio1_thumb.jpg

21. iDave macrumors 6502a

Does the remote come with earbuds? Looks like they're in the package. I thought it looked like a radio tuner, but that wouldn't explain the buds.

edit: never mind

22. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Don't see it....looks like a remote.

23. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

According to Apple, this is what the iPod Shuffle's box looks like (And it's definitely not in that vending machine):

Attached Files:

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

oops... I thought they were new shuffles when I saw them in the mall... :eek:

In my defense, it does look a whole lot like the new shuffles... and its not like I had memorized how the new shuffle box looks or anything...

25. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You have no defense! Off with his head, er, underpants! :p