Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Um, yeah, title says it all. Anyone have their 2nd gen shuffle yet, or know when they are shipping? I will go to the apple store and buy one as soon as they are in. I am just curious if anyone has a better estimate than "October" which is displayed on apple's web site. And, as soon as someone gets one, you better post pics!!!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We've got a thread on this here. Looks like they're not headed out the doors until the very end of the month.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think the word here was shipping dates were mid-late october....however I'm eagerly awaiting the 2nd Gen shuffles in the stores but its not all bad its not here yet because I spent all my cash on a Nano :)

Does anyone remember when the first shuffle was add to the iPod line up? The public found out about it in Jan, but it shipped in Marchish(If I recall correctly) but they still had them at the local Apple stores just to play with...wish they had that for the 2nd gen ones

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
zap2 said:
Does anyone remember when the first shuffle was add to the iPod line up? The public found out about it in Jan, but it shipped in Marchish(If I recall correctly) but they still had them at the local Apple stores just to play with...wish they had that for the 2nd gen ones

The original iPod shuffle was announced on January 11th, 2005. I ordered within two hours of the keynote ending and was given a ship date of January 26th. It actually shipped on January 19th and I received it on January 20th.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I went to the mall today and they had second gen shuffles in the little iPod vending machine. I haven't been around MR very much lately, so I didn't realize that they haven't even shipped yet. But ya... check around... never know what you may find.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Capt Underpants said:
I went to the mall today and they had second gen shuffles in the little iPod vending machine.

QCassidy352 said:
wow very cool. I really want to see one.

Yeah, me too, although Capt Undies has my interest more piqued in the vending machine at this point.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
ChickenSwartz said:
I have seen these in airports, very interesting, look here.

Interesting. I guess I have seen those types of vending machines in airports. I think the one I saw was selling mobile phones.

These aren't operated by Apple then, right? Strange that a third party vending machine reseller would get access to the shuffle before even the Apple stores. I guess certain malls and airports are considered important enough to trump Apple's own stores.

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
ChickenSwartz said:
I have seen these in airports, very interesting, look here. I have also seen similar vending machines for ProActive Acne treatment.

I've always thought it amusing that a vending company would stock iPods at an airport, considering that the devices are almost useless without a computer to connected them to.

I suppose if you have a laptop, with iTunes, and your music already encoded on it, you could sync up in the terminal, but otherwise, it's just deadweight.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
irregardless said:
I've always thought it amusing that a vending company would stock iPods at an airport, considering that the devices are almost useless with a computer to connected them to.

I suppose if you have a laptop, with iTunes, and your music already encoded on it, you could sync up in the terminal, but otherwise, it's just deadweight.

think about it this way. youre sitting around the airport board b/c you showed up 2 hours early to struggle through security. there ended up being no line. then about an hour before your flight you find out your flight is delayed, so you have 2 more hours to sit in the airport and wait. so, as you are wondering around the airport board out of your mind (beacuse the airline banned your laptop due to possibley explosive batteries) you see a cool vending machine with iPods. you think to yourself 'man, ive been wanting one of those' so you buy it. . . . 5 minutes after you buy it, you realize it doesnt have any pre-installed music! but at least it killed a few minutes b/c you were so bored.

anyway. thats cool that they are actually selling somewhere. apple probably shipped them with a note that said 'dont put on shelves until X day in Oct' that way they would be released everywhere at the same time. but someone at the vending machine place probably ignored that and stuck it in the vending machine anyway!

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Cancelled my Shuffle order and bought a nano instead. I wish it had a clip on the back. :)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
QCassidy352 said:
wow very cool. I really want to see one.

The iPod vending machine or the shuffle? I snapped a pic of the machine because I was really excited to see it... I'm a nerd like that. You can see what I think are the new shuffles on the far right, a little up from the middle.

Attachments

• 10-01-06_1511.jpg
    10-01-06_1511.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 304

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Capt Underpants said:
The iPod vending machine or the shuffle? I snapped a pic of the machine because I was really excited to see it... I'm a nerd like that. You can see what I think are the new shuffles on the far right, a little up from the middle.
I only see first generation shuffles and nanos there, and a few accessories. No new shuffles. I really doubted that they put the new ones in there yet....

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
Capt Underpants said:
I believe what you are referring to is the ipod remote, which is the same size and similar in looks to the 2g shuffle.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
jsm4182 said:
I believe what you are referring to is the ipod remote, which is the same size and similar in looks to the 2g shuffle.
Does the remote come with earbuds? Looks like they're in the package. I thought it looked like a radio tuner, but that wouldn't explain the buds.

edit: never mind

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
According to Apple, this is what the iPod Shuffle's box looks like (And it's definitely not in that vending machine):

Attachments

• overview-requirements.jpg
    overview-requirements.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 649

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
oops... I thought they were new shuffles when I saw them in the mall... :eek:

In my defense, it does look a whole lot like the new shuffles... and its not like I had memorized how the new shuffle box looks or anything...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Capt Underpants said:
In my defense, it does look a whole lot like the new shuffles... and its not like I had memorized how the new shuffle box looks or anything...

You have no defense! Off with his head, er, underpants! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.