Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
... for the first time. For the past 11 years I have been using a PC, so need a little help.

I want to install OS X 10.4, but the disc I have isn't bootable. Can anyone tell me if it can be done from a command line, like when installing Windows?

If so, how would I do that?

I tried holding alt to display boot options, but it just displays a purple screen with a HDD icon - no CD.

Anyone know what I can do?

Thanks,

Skiny

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Is the OSX DVD in the drive when you boot?

If you start the machine with the DVD in and hold the C key down throughout the boot process it should boot from the DVD.

OSX Tiger only comes on DVD (unless you special order CDs) - what Mac do you have? Does it have a Superdrive or a Combo drive?

Could be your DVD is defective. Is it a retail OSX package or an upgrade?

Skiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
re:

Hi. I am using an iBook, and it has a combo drive.

I put the disc in while it's on, and open the install file (so it seems the drive is working ok). It opens up and then tells me that to begin the installation, it has to restart, so I let it. After that, it just restarts like normal and nothing loads :confused: .

I tried holding down C and restarting, but it doesn't do anything.

It is the full version - not upgrade.

Thanks,

Skiny

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Any OS X disc should be bootable. If its not booting, then that might mean that there is something wrong with the disc itself. Maybe you should try returning it and getting a replacement Tiger DVD?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Skiny said:
I tried holding down C and restarting, but it doesn't do anything.

Did you try this:

Put the disk in the drive while in Panther
Open system preferences
Go to Startup Disk
Select the Tiger DVD in the list and then click the restart button.

Skiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
re:

Yea, I tried that, but had no luck.

Aussie_geek: It is a downloaded version.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Skiny said:
Lol, yea, but I want to see what it's like first.

Then go to the Apple Store or another store to play around with it. A reminder that this type of question then puts the thread in jeopardy of being wastelanded. MR does not allow for pirating discussions.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Skiny said:
Lol, yea, but I want to see what it's like first.
Duff-Man says....you will not get much sympathy or help from people here when it comes to pirating software....go buy it....there are enough reviews and opinions etc out there that you ought to be able to make an informed decision....oh yeah!

Skiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Then go to the Apple Store or another store to play around with it.

The nearest apple store is around 100 miles away.

Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....you will not get much sympathy or help from people here when it comes to pirating software....go buy it....there are enough reviews and opinions etc out there that you ought to be able to make an informed decision....oh yeah!

Yea, I'm sure no one else on this board has ever pirated software.

I'm not asking for sympathy or help with pirated software - I'm just trying to find out why the computer won't boot with CDs (including the original disk it came with).

Considering there is no other way for me to see what this software is like other than to download it, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying it out before I buy.

If you’re no going to help me because you think it’s "wrong", then fine, I'll get help elsewhere. There certainly isn't a shortage of help forums on the Internet.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Your copy of Tiger won't boot because whoever made the image of it from the actual disc mounted that image before burning it. If you mount a boot-able image before burning it, it won't boot once it's burned.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Skiny said:
The nearest apple store is around 100 miles away.

Yea, I'm sure no one else on this board has ever pirated software.

I'm not asking for sympathy or help with pirated software - I'm just trying to find out why the computer won't boot with CDs (including the original disk it came with).

Considering there is no other way for me to see what this software is like other than to download it, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying it out before I buy.

If you’re no going to help me because you think it’s "wrong", then fine, I'll get help elsewhere. There certainly isn't a shortage of help forums on the Internet.

I see you ignored looking to other stores that you might be able to spend time with Tiger on.

I tried to be friendly about the rules here on MR. If you feel there are better places to go for pirated and illegal software - then by all means go there.

There is more than enough info from users out there that show that Tiger is worth the price. If you want hands on then make the effort to find a store that you can try it at.

Or better yet, ask Apple for a trial download. A much better approach than downloading off some site and then asking for help on the install.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Or better yet, ask Apple for a trial download. A much better approach than downloading off some site and then asking for help on the install.

^^Would Apple do that??

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Sean7512 said:
^^Would Apple do that??

Skiny's request on the surface seems reasonable. If more people asked for trials on the new releases Apple might do it. But in the end Skiny's argument of an Apple Store being a 100 miles away is weak in Apple's view. There is a great opportunity to decide on the purchase of Tiger.

AlephNull

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Skiny, wherever you got the Tiger Install disk, it was either opened before the disk image was locked, or was burned using something other than disk utility (like Toast or something), bootable disks need to be burned from disk utility. Or it was burned from a windows computer.. in which case unless careful instructions were followed, does not end up making an apple bootable disk.

But you say that your computer won't boot with ANY cds? In which case, get on the line with Apple support. If you know the Tiger disk was made properly and the original (ie. not burned, copied) install disks don't boot, then theres something wrong beyond the install disk.

Good luck

BTW i'm not condoning piracy, just trying to help a guy out.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
If you like Panther, you'll LOVE Tiger.
This is not like trying out a new videogame; it's arguably the best operating system Apple has ever released.

GL

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
have you not got ANY store nearby with Apple Computers in them? Tiger is definatley the best Apple OS I've ever used

Skiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
re:

Chip NoVaMac said:
I see you ignored looking to other stores that you might be able to spend time with Tiger on.
There aren't really any stores that close to me. I can't be bothered to go all the way to town just to try some software.

Chip NoVaMac said:
I tried to be friendly about the rules here on MR. If you feel there are better places to go for pirated and illegal software - then by all means go there.
I have. I didn't come here for pirated software, I came here for help getting my computer to boot from CDs. Maybe you should spend more time reading what people post, than moaning about where they obtain software.

Chip NoVaMac said:
I doubt that would work.

Chip NoVaMac said:
But in the end Skiny's argument of an Apple Store being a 100 miles away is weak in Apple's view. There is a great opportunity to decide on the purchase of Tiger.
Really? First of all, there is no Apple store near me. I could probably go to the nearest computer store to take a look at it, but with it being an operating system, it's not something you can really look at quickly in a shop. It's nice to be able to use it for a few days to get a good feel of it.

AlephNull said:
But you say that your computer won't boot with ANY cds? In which case, get on the line with Apple support. If you know the Tiger disk was made properly and the original (ie. not burned, copied) install disks don't boot, then theres something wrong beyond the install disk.
I've tried the CD version of Tiger now, and it works fine :confused: .

snickelfritz said:
If you like Panther, you'll LOVE Tiger.
I had only been using panther for a couple of days, but yea, I like it.

snickelfritz said:
This is not like trying out a new videogame
Yea, which is why I don't think going to a store to try it out would have really worked for me.

Jacksteruk said:
have you not got ANY store nearby with Apple Computers in them?
There are computer shops in town that would probably have them in, but I've never really looked out for them before - I've always been a PC guy.

Jacksteruk said:
Tiger is definatley the best Apple OS I've ever used
Yea, I do like the OS, but they need to make a 2nd mouse button :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.