So last night I was using this 17" at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 22, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I could have bought THAT ONE.

My DD was taking the Apple Youth Workshop - they had no-shows and so i got to sit and play at my own station. OK, i did the GB stuff - but then i launched Aperture and got down to business. I haven't been able to run the demo on my hardware - so this was the most hands-on i've gotten with it. It was pure bliss time - totally what i needed with it.

I told them - i'd buy THAT ONE. The screen didn't appear to have many flaws. I was using it for about 2 hours. Anytime i thought there was an issues with uneven lighting, i'd glance down at the thumbnail for the photo and see that the "issues" where in the thumbnail to!

It was "love and first touch" - man, i need that computer.......

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I dunno...these iMacs are built to last, if possible I say save up a bit and buy a refurb 20"...three inches over around four years is a nice bonus...

3. zign macrumors 6502

zign

MacBook Pro :)

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

It was one of their teaching/"Studio" computers, they wouldn't sell it :(

But ya - I would have done it in a heartbeat if they had been able/willing (oh, and I'd had the $$ ROFL!!!)

I wish i'd remembered to get the serial number on it. The guy said it was new though.

Built to last yes - but they don't take a fall well. :eek: Last night some approx 12 month old pulled one of the kid station iMacs off the table (what - 18 inches?) that was a horrid sound.... and a nice "pretty" bullet hole looking crack in the screen).

But ya - i'm looking at laptops. I don't have a spot for a desktop at the moment!

5. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

That's what I'm most deathly afraid of when I get my new iMac, is that 24'' of screen+parts are all weighed in the monitor. One kick of my desk and I'm afraid it won't take much to tip the monitor over. Maybe I should duct tape it to the desk when I get it? :)

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the base on the imacs are solid. Its not going anywhere....
    did they make the parents pay for the broke imac?

7. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

NOPE. In fact the kids kept standing there playing - and I never saw an adult come GET the little kid :eek:

I would have been mortified had it been my child.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

If it was in the U.S., you cannot make someome pay for breaking something in a store- regardless of if there is a "you break it, you buy it" sign or not.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is good news, at least it means they have finally gotten off their asses and started putting in decent screens on the 17"s

10. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, i was not like the one that i used at the other store in town (Orlando - I was at FL Mall last night, the bad one was at Millennia). That one I could tell pretty quick it was poorly lit - esp left and right.

Those are the only 2 i've used for any amount of time. I'll be back on Sunday for another class at the same store - so i'll see how that goes. My DD was using another 17 next to me - but I never paid that much attention to her screen.

But ya, I could have been happy with it based on those 2 hours. Here is hoping there is a better batch of LCDs out right now.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

really... (gets some ideas) j/k :p :D

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Borat didnt seem to find that law...

and I still feel you are wrong, but please say that you arent, id love to just run thru a store with my arms flailing around!

13. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

really? is that in some states or a federal law? :)

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, they could take you to court. They just couldn't make you pay on the spot. But no, you can't willfully destroy private property and not ever have to pay for it.