So like i quit smoking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Nearly 2 weeks has past without me smoking, i quit cold turkey. I quit someking a few months back but i started again, it was a mistake i came back harder then i ever had.

Story started a few weeks back where i was walking with a few friends in the mountains, i got tired very tired. I was out of breath, that was strange because i always went to the gym and i am active but its probebly the altitude. The aire being so thin made me sick. Right then and there i decided i will stop smoking. I came back home (still smoking at the time) and was thinking of when i should stop, always thinking the tomorrow will be the day i do stop but never did.

16 days ago i had to leave the country for a visit to London, the timing is perfect, i can stop when i travel. You see i dont smoke these "http://www.buy-cigarettes.biz.tc/images/marlboro.gif" i smoke these "http://wave-spirit.net/media/shisha.jpg". Now i can carry that with me, it takes time to make so i decided i will stop. I stayed London for about 12 days then came back home, 4 days have past since i came back and i smoked 0 times and i am prode of myself.

Thought i will share this little story with you all.

p.s. I have a question, Is it normal to still cough and feel sick even thou i am not smoking?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, but it's been only two weeks. Pretty soon you should start feeling a little better.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Stick with it - the worst is over.

Yes, coughing is normal - your lungs are healing.

And yes, you may even feel like you are getting a cold from the withdrawal.

I quit because I was out of breath all the time back in 2000 - I was running marathons a year later. :)

Good luck. The body bounces back quite nicely.

4. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have thought that i was having a cold for 5 days now, never thought it had anything to do with me stoping smoking.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Congrats and good luck! (and I agree with iMeowBot - things will clear up soon enough...it take the body a bit of time to recover)

6. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah Gratz, and i wish u luck. Fight the urge!

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

congrats on the quit. I hope you succeed!

you will be thankful you did. The money you saved can go towards a new Mac Pro! Much healthier than filling your lungs with smoke and insecticides.

8. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

The worst really isn't over, but it will be in a couple of weeks. You'll hit a wall and reach for a smoke, but DON'T do it. It will likely last a short while and then you will be fine.

I've been smoke free for 7.5 yrs now, but every now and then I want a smoke. I don't have one though 'cause that would be the end of it.

Good luck and I hope you persevere. It's worth the struggle.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The coughing will go away, also you will soon have a greater sense of taste as smoking kills sensors on your tounge.

Ed

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Glad to hear you're trying to quit for good - your body will appreciate it eventually, even though it will take awhile for it to get used to the loss of nicotine, etc.

11. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Congratulations!
    Things will just get better from now on. Soon your tastebuds will be able to work properly too, so be careful about your weight. ;)
    Eventhough the "need" for cigarettes will never go away completely, the urge to have a cigarette will diminish day by day.
    Good luck! :)

12. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Never thought i would get advice from a doctor (even thou you are a gargoyle) :) thanks.

13. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I started to feel sick, in the mornings i cough a lot. After meals i find myself missing something, i feel like i need a smoke. I will not smoke thou, its behind me for good. Its strange, my running noes stoped but i keep coughing a lot as if i had been smoking all day.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

It was probably 5 years before I lost all those triggers... I remember going to the airport and feeling like I had to huff down several smokes before the flight for teh longest time.

It all goes away, but you will never totally lose the desire fully. :)

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

So like I'm starting a diet and a working out regime today..

..WE CAN DO IT CRAZYCAT! ;)

16. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I'm also going to quit soon

Does anybody know about or have experience with Zyban?

I figure I could afford a new Macbook within 7 months of quitting.....

17. mannix87 macrumors 6502

good for you. i'll be on my fifth year of quitting this September. :)

18. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Congrats!

I've never heard of anyone addicted to hookah before; I've always known it was possible, just have never been myself (although I do smoke hookah on occasion) or met anyone who has (although plenty of cig addicts).

Again, good job quitting and good luck staying strong.

19. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

I want to hope the people who are trying to quit smoking the best:) , and thats good for the people who have already, i just wish my mom would quit smoking because the doctors said she will die in a few years if she dosent, but i dont see her stoppin anytime soon.

20. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I quit smoking (so far for good) seven years ago on my step sons birthday. I had stopped for six weeks the previous year, just using nicotine patches. The last time I used both the patch and Zyban (doctors prescription required).

There is still the occasional urge to have a cigarette, however I realize that one would lead me to many, and I'm not spending money to kill myself.

The coughing/wheezing etc. DOES go away. You body just has to clear the lungs of all the stuff smoking put in there.

21. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Good Job!

Hopefully your not being like my friends mom who said this to me once:

Friends Mom: "Wes, Guess what?"
    Me: "What?"
    Friends Mom: "I quit smoking!"
    Me: "Really!? Thats great!"
    Friends Mom: "Yeah! I havent had one sense I decided to quit!"
    Me: "When was that?"
    Friends Mom: "Oh... about 2 hours ago."

:rolleyes:

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Quitting is not fun. Especially when your doc tells you you were healthier when you smoked. That's what I got from mine when I gained 10 pounds after I quit. Now mind you, I'm a 6'3" athletic guy who weighed 195# before and 210# when I quit. I look pretty good in either scenario, however- I was less healthy after I quit (according to dumbass western medicine). I work out 3 days a week. I eat right and obviously excersize regularly. F*** western medicine. I look good and feel great.

EDIT: I'm back down to 195. I think it was an adjustment period. :)

23. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I hate the smell of cigs, i cant stand them. Once at a party i decided i wanted to try one, bext morning i woke up and i was sick and i felt really dirty. Hookah on the other hand does not smell that bad, i smoke graps flavor which is very nice to be honest. The only problem is that its hard to stop, unlike cigs you dont feel teh need to stop. I would go on hours smoking, sometimes from after lunch (1:00pm) to just before dinner (7:00pm), and i might smoke before i got to bed aswell.

24. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Congrats, crazycat, on quitting =) Making an investment in life.

I, for one, am happier every time someone decides to stop smoking. I am highly sensitive to smoke, and breathing it in passively while walking outside is very uncomfortable for me.