So...like no one can buy PS3/Wii stuff?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sdashiki, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Lemme get this straight.

Sony releases the PS3 before they have enough to keep up with demand, all to "beat" Nintendo to the gate of release...

Large retailers get their hands on less than 10 PS3s for each store. (amounting to about 20-30 or so in a city of 50,000 college students, no im not bitter im just astonished at this business practice)

Same thing with the Wii, only the same stores that sold the PS3 had alot more Wiis than they did PS3s...but nonetheless not enough for current demand.

This begs the question, whose bright idea was this? I can forgive Nintendo as they are at least going to have more Wiis for the Holiday Season whereas Sony has said, Yeah maybe more sometime next year...

So, the people who actually got their hands on a new system, PS3/Wii are the ONLY people in existence who can actually purchase the games and accesories.

If BestBuy sold 6 PS3s, then they can only hope to sell to those people and those people alone. If everyone buys the same games, BestBuy only needed to stock 7 of each game.

Im betting there are store shelves lined with PS3 games and accessories that wont move an inch for months.

Basically im amazed Sony had the gaul to start selling something that few could actually get and then sit on their hands waiting for more to be produced so they can finally actually start selling the console and its accessories...which drive a console's life.

crazy.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Good point, but you gotta remember, these corporations don't THINK. They're idiotic to the nth degree. This is fairly good demonstration of that.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i agree with most of what you said. i thought i heard somewhere that more PS3's would be here by christmas, maybe i was dreaming.

either way, neither one learned from microsoft's mistake last year

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True. But most stores are supplied on a sale or return basis, so they would rather see shelf space filled with fancy new games and accessories - than have next to nothing, only for their competitor down the road to be stocked to the rafters. It's a matter of public perception. Look busy and people think your busy ;)

It costs them nothing to have loads of stock, if it doesnt sell - they will send it back with there next arrival of goods.

Has the final figure of how many Wii's & PS3's actually made launch day in the US out of interest?

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

If I were you, even if I didn't have a Wii (which I do, nah-nah nah-nah), I'd get extra controllers if I saw them. Same with hot selling games, too. If you know you're going to get the system as soon as you can, those items are becoming hard to find. Go ahead and get them.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I got to Best Buy at 8:40am yesterday and managed to get a Wii, and the bigger stores should be getting more units this week. They'll be easy to find.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Some people are reporting stores being sold out. Others still seem to have plenty of stock. Seems very disorganized in a way - but it's only 24 hours - i assume we will have to wait till the end of the week before accurate picture of the launch is painted.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

One of my local Best Buy's had 64 PS3s for launch and 89 Wiis at launch. The ironic thing is that they sold the last PS3 at around 5:30 PM Friday night. But they didn't have enough Wii's to cover everyone in line (yeah, including me) Sunday morning.

I went and bought a controller and Zelda even though I don't have the system yet (hoping this week).

10. Toby175 macrumors newbie

Ps3

I buy my PS3 from these guys, hey has anyone else gone through them, there deal on the PS3, seems pretty good.

http://www.games-asia.com/playstation3with20gbharddrive-p-1201.html

http://www.games-asia.com/playstation3with60gbharddrive-p-1347.html

By the way I got one because its a cheap way of getting Blu-Ray?
    With Blu-ray players priced at $1,000 How could Sony possibbly sell a games console with a blu ray player, priced almost less than half of what a standard blu ray player would cost.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Sony made everyone sell their Blu-Ray players at that price to make the PS3 look like a good deal.

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I was able to snag 3 wiimotes on Black Friday, and picked up 3 nunchucks yesterday. I'm set!

13. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

If it makes you feel better, I've got a Wii, but the accessories are freakin' impossible to find.

Seenew... where the heck are you finding all these controllers?

Daniel.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Every store where I live has been sold out since launch. I have friends that have been scouting every store in town. They're just plain gone, everywhere. Anytime someone receives a shipment they are all gone within the hour.

15. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Gamestop, 5am last Friday. My dad found the nunchucks, actually, while traveling. He stopped to use the restroom at a Walmart, and stopped by the electronics department. They had 4.

You just have to search far and wide, and wake up early, I guess.

16. pionata macrumors 6502

Beleive me, when desperatly looking for a ps3 last week (now I gave up) I fell upon quite a few opportunities to get a Wii. Its much easier to find.

17. seanf macrumors 6502

It's all about driving massive Christmas demand. Sony and Nintendo release a small amount of consoles before the holiday season and they all sell out quickly. Then a few weeks before Christmas kids will start telling their parents that their very life depends on having the latest console in their stocking on Christmas day. Parents run around like headless chickens and are unable to find a console anywhere. Then suddenly, magically, Nintendo and Sony both announce they will be able to deliver a large amount of consoles just in time for Christmas. Parents suddenly see the consoles are available, are will pay anything to get one and will not hesitate to buy one then and there for fear of missing out on their "one and only" chance to get one in time.

A couple of years ago I was working part time at a video and game rental place before I started my new full-time job. About a month before Christmas Sony announced their main factory had broken down and there would be extremely limited numbers of the slimline PS2 available for Christmas. The result of this was exactly as I described above: people went mad trying to track one down. We had hundreds of enquiries every single day and had almost a full books worth of pre-orders. Then, of course, just before Christmas the breakdown was fixed (hooray!) and Sony was able to supply massive amounts of PS2s. The result of this was PS2s flying out of shops before they could even be taken out of the shipping boxes.

Threat of limited supply + Christmas approaching = crazy shoppers!

Sean :)

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Everyone is sold out where I'm at as well.

I picked up an extra "Wiimote" at Wal-Mart when I saw them, but they were sold out of the nunchuks. Then later, I picked up Zelda from Toys R Us, they had a LOT of that game in stock, whereas everywhere else was sold out.

So now I need a nunchuck and an actual Wii... I call places everyday, no luck so far.

19. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Big Wii accessory shipment on the 15th :)

But yea, most have no extras for it other than sleeves for the remotes.

Its a shame, a guy stole my extra remote out of my cart when I was in checkout, didnt figure out who took it till I saw them yakking about it as they got in their car.

May they die in a fire.

20. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I ended up finding one on eBay from someone in my town. I got it for just a few bucks over cost and I picked it up last Wednesday. You might check www.ps3seeker.com/wii and see if there are any around you.

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You're kidding!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Wii's and PS3's seem to randomly be showing up. My friend picked up a Wii yesterday. On Sunday my sister's boyfriend called (works at Circuit City) to let me know that they just received 4 PS3's. I live an hour away though or I would have considered driving to get one to sell and pay for my Wii and one for my nephews. I've yet to have any luck though and have been calling almost daily. Extra controllers for the Wii are scarce here too, as is LoZTP.

23. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Think of it this way, when you can actually get your hands on one, they probably won't be haunted by bugs (or at least not as many, nothing is perfect) then the first round. Though I'm yet to read about nearly as much bugs for the Wii as for the PS3 :p

24. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Do not worry, no doubt there are plenty of Zunes left for your Christmas stocking and XBoxes too. Microsoft might not have their new OS ready, but here is a chance to further expand their share of the gaming market because some people will want to have machines under their Christmas tree. Having said that Wii looks like it's worth the wait, not so sure about PS3 though - I'd spend the extra money on games and controllers for the Wii, I'd have to speak to my bank manager about owning the Sony machine.:)

25. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Nope, there were only two wii-motes, and I know the other person who got one.

Go figure. People suck :p

Ah well, I do have a spare nunchuck now :p

And Rayman is addictive! That and Bowling.