So logically, the iBook is next.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iGary, May 3, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House

Last updated in October.

PowerBooks - Few months old.
    PowerMacs - Just lamely updated.
    iMac - Just wonderfully updated today.
    eMac - Unfortunately allowed to live on today.
    Mac mini - 5 months old.

Seems like the iBook is due not only for an upgrade but a form chage as well, yeah?
  2. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    yup that is what i heard from Apple they don't know when it will be done, said it took 1.5 years just to update the iMac OMG lol. But the guy from Apple said ibooks are Next, i hope they upgrade Video ram...
  3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    i have a feeling it wont be at least for a few months....maybe september or october is my guess
  4. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I also think it will not be until October time frame. I think that they will update the iBooks and Powerbooks at the same time. Thus, allowing a larger gap between the two. Maybe 1.42 and 1.67Ghz iBooks, 512MB DDR400, 64MB Radeon 9600. Powerbooks would be alot better, Probably Dual Core G4's, 512MB DDR400, 128MB Radeon X700 Mobile.
  5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Logic? Apple product updates? What heresy is this!

But hey, you might be right for all I know.
  6. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    No, I' almost always wrong on rumors. :(

But the current iBook is what, 4 years in its current form factor?
  7. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    iGary are you really steve jobs in discuise? or is he just your idle? :D
  8. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Let your imagination run wild. :eek:
  9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Hmm, I dont think hes Jobs. Jobs would be using the top-of-the-line of everything. :) Jobs is probably just his idol. Everyone here loves Stevie. ^-^
  10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    My guess for when they update the iBooks and Powerbooks:

Low end: 1.33ghz or 1.42ghz
    High end: 1.5ghz

12": 1.67ghz
    15": 1.6ghz G5 (low end), 1.8 (high end)
    17": 1.8ghz

That is if they can stick a G5 into a powerbook

Or design a thicker laptop, stick in a G5 and call it a superpowerbook
  11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    My guess is that the iBooks will be updated in the summer to supply the upcoming education buying season. I expect a new form factor. The current form has been used for YEARS now. I think it is the one form factor that has stayed the same the longest in Apple's recent history.
  12. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

I also expect a new form factor. I think Apple could go down the iPod Mini metal coloured shell look as well as the standard white. Even if they just did silver, red and blue or something to see what the market thought.

I also wonder if they will try and make them even lighter.

Also, I think 16:9 has possibilities.
  13. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I like how the iBooks look. It was one of the Main reasons I got one ;)
    They look simple, and stylish with the Glossy White. Deffinalty nice.

The Only Thing I want to see is instead a 14' iBook, a 15' Wide Screen for the Top of the line. :)

Right now the only problem i have with my iBook G4 1.33Ghz is the 1024x768 max res.

PS. I love apple products. But I am not a steve jobs fan in the least :(
  14. Jeegan macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2005
    Unless they make some mobile, low power using G5, I don't see how they could really put one in a notebook at this time. From what I have heard the G5 processors use quite a bit more power than the G4s. But maybe Apple will surprise us with a lower power mobile G5.
  15. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Probably 1.42GHz and video card upgrades. Maybe 512MB on the high end. They'll have to upgrade soon, or they'll miss the new school buying period (for students, schools have probably already bought the old models with a good discount). Remember last time, the 12" PowerBook and high-end 14" iBook were nearly identical and at similar price points. I expect the same this time.

Though hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  16. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Maybe you don't consider it a form-factor revision, but maybe Apple considers the slight change to the casing when the iBook went G4 (the G3 iBooks has a optical drive tray type drive while the G4 ones has slot-loading), and before that, they used to have a darker gray middle part, and the plastic used to be clear with white inside. So there's actually three form factor changes that just look very similar.
  17. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I would like to see colors added back to them in some discrete way. Not over doing it tho. And you can choose what color you want on purchase.
  18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Super Power Brick.

I can see apple updating all the laptops at (or around) WWDC :eek:
  19. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Feb 13, 2005
    Close Competition

Unfortunately, there will likely be little difference between the iBook and Powerbook for a while. Apple has to update the iBooks with the 9600 for full Tiger compliance, and like the other models, Apple will update the RAM to 512 MB along with a processor speed increase to either 1.33 or 1.42 for the low-end and 1.5 for the high end (nod to EJBasile), but the PBs will stay where they are at. Anyone expecting changes to the PBs in the next few months is unrealistic.

Sorry aswitcher, I really doubt that Apple will updating the form factor for this release. In fact, the next PB update will be marked by the release of the iBook update. The sooner the iBook is updated, the more likely both will receive a new form factor and be updated together. The iBook is consistently updated every 6-7 months, but I could see a lengthy waiting time before the next PB revision (the PB often has lengthy upgrade cycles). The problem for Apple is processor availability. I highly doubt any PPC970 variant will make it into a PB. Rather, it is more likely that Apple will wait for Freescale and either drop in the 7448 without a form factor change or more likely the 8641(D) with a form factor change. I doubt the former will happen now partly because I don't think the 7447B was on the original roadmap and thus acted as a stopgap in lieu of the 7448, and partly because another poster connected to Freescale thought the project had been canceled (sorry don't have time to find the post). Besides, the x86 world is going dual core in early 2006, if not sooner and the 8641(D) is supposed to be ready for mass production by Jan, 2006. My guess is that the closer the iBook is released to June, the more likely neither the iBook nor the PB will receive a major upgrade until January, 2006. By then, the iBook should hopefully receive the 8641 with the PB receiving the dual core version. Only when the 8641(D) is used will there be warrant for a form factor change.