So , Mac or PC???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheDance511, Feb 5, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    Hello all. I am a college student looking to buy a new computer. I own a brand new Sony Vaio with 2 gigs of ram/ 100 gig HD / 15.4 inches... It was running Windows XP... Now I am running Vista. Since I upgraded to Vista i get these Error messages on everything i do saying my video card is out od fate. Games and such. I am studying to become a profession Camera operator and need to be able to video edit. I used a Mac for the first time a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. But my question to you is are they really all they are cracked up to be? Are they really that much easier to use... I liked it but i only used it for a short time period in The Apple Store. So i would like some advice. I like the iMac very much but i also like the Black Macbook...Somebody help .. please..any input would be great. :rolleyes:
  2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
    Don't over think it.

Just buy the MacBook. [or go for a refurb macbook pro]
    You would be stupid not to.

Enjoy. :)
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    did u say u have a brand new vaio? and u play games?
  4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
  5. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2006

ur posting in a MAC lovers fourm
    do u think someone is gonna say buy a pc in this fourm
  6. LutFi macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2007

Vista just came out, wait for several next month then download compatible video card driver for your Vista. Then you decide.

Mac is definitely much easier to use than PC.

Before I can't finish my own home DVD video in PC, the final quality is really poor, then when I just use iDVD in Mac it really easy to use and good quality too. Don't mention if you use pro tools such as Final Cut Pro for editing your film.

For video edit, big screen is make your life much easier. iMac with 24" is a good choise. But If you really want to become camera operator, start saving your money from now buy MacPro with 30" cinema display. That is really good for your future.
  7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I find the Mac a lot easier to use than the PC. If you do a lot of multitasking then you'll find life a lot easier on the Mac because it has much better management of programs than windows xp or vista. If you're going to do gaming on the Mac through bootcamp, then you'll want the iMac over the Black MacBook, because the Black MacBook has integrated graphics while the iMac has an radeon x1600 in it. If you want to continue to use your Vaio for your laptop needs, then buy the iMac, but if you want it to replace your Vaio then get the Black MacBook.

You might also want to consider refurbished Macs on the Apple website, because you can buy the Macs for several hundred dollars cheaper and you might find the 15" MacBook Pro would fit both your desktop and laptop needs. The refurbished MacBook Pro frequently shows up on the refurbished store for $1350, the specs of the refurbished MacBook Pro is a 1.83 GHz Core Duo/512MB/80GB/ with a 15.4" widescreen. I personally would suggest getting the refurbished MacBook Pro, as it is only slightly slower than the Core 2 Duos in the new MacBooks and iMacs, and it has almost the same specs as the iMac. All in all, I think you'll find the Mac experience to be much better than the windows experience overall, and if you don't, there is always bootcamp.
  8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2006
    Macs are essential to professional video editting because of Final Cut Pro. But youll need atleast an iMac because the regular Macbook's graphics chip isnt good enough for that stuff. You should get a Macbook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro.
  9. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    Macs are defiantly worth while, especially versus a Windows machine. I'd say get one, it'll be great for your future profession.
  10. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    Avid is the industry standard...
  11. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    Firstly, i'd say get a mac, though whether iMac or macbook depends upon your usage.
    But out if interest, if you have a new Vaio why are you looking at something new - do you intend to use the sony as a games machine and the mac for work? If so, the iMac sounds like it's made for you. :)
  12. dreamfocused macrumors member

Jan 14, 2007
    a Mac will be great for your future profession. If you're in the market I say go for it... and this is not a biased reply...
  13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Final Cut Pro is not exactly unpopular. Last I checked it actually had a larger installed base than Avid because it's cheaper (and therefore accessible to more people). Anyway, Avid runs on Macs too.
  14. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    I would also like to chime in and add that the silly video driver issues you're having with Vista are quite rare with Mac OS upgrades because Apple controls all the hardware and the software. Less cooks in the kitchen...

Sounds like with your Vaio, you're stuck waiting for Sony and/or Microsoft and/or the video chip manufacturer (ATI/nVidia) to fix it with a new driver. Yuck.

P.S. Switched 2.5 years ago. First day sucked. After that, computing heaven.
  15. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006
  16. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    This may seem like a dumb question, but, if you weren't having any problems with XP, why don't you just put that back on your machine? As far as I know, Vista still has driver issues with a lot of machines. Your issue will be fixed down the road, but right now it may be best just to stick with XP.

Sorry, it just seems kind of strange to buy a new computer just because of a driver issue.
  17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Perhaps there are just as many reverse trolls as trolls on these forums?

I found the iLife tools somewhat simplistic so I've moved onto Vegas on the Precision 490, which is overkill for me but very usable. I'm not a pro video editor - only do interior shots, etc - but it's clearly at the very least on a par with Final Cut on the same hardware.

The choice of platform should be made based on what editing software you find best to use, or most appropriate based on what you're doing right now. If Final Cut works best for you - well, your choice is made.
  18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...:mad:
  19. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
    Aww, MovieCutter.
    Did the big mean man insult your software? :(
  20. R0ck1t macrumors member

Feb 6, 2007
    Once you go Mac...

Since i've gotten a mac i've managed to convince 3 others to get one.
    In my experience if you buy a mac you'll never want a PC again, (Especially with the Intel chips and windows capabilitys).
    The main advantage to Macs I feel, is that both Hardware and Software are made to work together, this improves functionality and support.
    In my opinion- :apple: :apple: :apple:.
  21. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
  22. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I'm very much of the opinion that people choose the computer they deserve.
  23. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    thats classic
  24. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    That could only be said by someone who hasn't used FCP.
  25. jasong macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2007
    I was in your situation about 2 years ago. I was looking at pursuing a career in video and figured buying my own editing system would help me. I ended up buying a dual G5 PowerMac. I'm currently editing a weekly broadcast show and got my job based on experience that I learned from my system at home. I used to do some editing on a pc and even worked at a call center trouble shooting PC's over the phone. I will never go back to a PC. The Mac really is all that it's hyped up about. If you have a new Sony laptop. Sell it. If you need portability, go with a macbook pro. If your just doing video. Take the hit and get the MacPro. You may feel a little nervous at first with the big coin. But 6 months from now you'll never want to own a pc again.

Hope this helps.

Jason Griffith
    Broadcast Video Editor
    The Active Word