So many apps I'll never use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Deepdale, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I like the current OS and have long appreciated the solid products Apple brings to the marketplace. The company and its culture are flawed, but compared to other choices they continue to stand above the crowd.

As I spent some time at the Apple Store yesterday, it is painfully clear that the majority of preloaded items will never be utilized (if even opened) once purchased. That leaves me in a position of paying for a machine that is dependable and stable, but will unquestionably be well rested during its lifetime.

Everyone's computer use is tailored to personal interests and/or business needs, but I would be perfectly content using AOL, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto (in a limited way) and a basic Word processor. Too bad they don't offer customizable iBook and PowerBook Lite models.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you complaining because the Macs are too well endowed?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im not sure what the problem is.... you want i Lite version of the powerbooks or iBooks? then buy a used one if they are too much for you.

4. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Perhaps it is more of a personal lament as to how limited my interests presently are due to unrelenting job related demands. There are two things I will not complain about ... 1. a well-endowed Mac and 2. a well-endowed woman.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Since iPhoto (and iTunes) is a part of iLife and AppleWorks (or even TextEdit) should meet your word processing needs. Mail, AddressBook and iCal are, along with Safari, there absolutely free to provide you with a fully functioning machine for internet use and personal productivity, but of course you don't have to use them. Which "preloaded items" is it you don't want? Is it some of the demos...? :rolleyes:

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

You say whaat?
    This has to be the weirdest "complaint" I've heard about Macs for ages!
    A lot of the Apps in the OS are in fact integral parts to the OS (like QT) or have become so (like iTunes as the MP3 player and iPhoto as the Photo player, Preview as the PDF viewer etc etc.)
    Personally I use almost all the Apps that were included, I used Grapher the other day and have to say it's AMAZING - A LOT of powerful functions in there for a engineer like myself. That thing would have a manual 200+ pages long in itself. Sure, 90% of Mac users won't even know it exists, but for those that do, it all adds value.

I don't get why you would complain about this - I could see maybe a $50-75 saving from a "lite" version of Macs - is that worth it?

7. mpw Guest

Could you not just delete what you don't want?

8. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

In a manner similar to how some prominently highlight their current savings account balances and interest rate they are earning, I should have mentioned that money is no object whatsoever here.

Always interesting to see how readers sometimes gloss right over the part of the message that gives due credit to Apple and what they've produced. I am not the enemy ... I have come in peace. My next system will be my third and all have been from Apple.

9. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

They do come with lots of software and lots of which I have no idea what they do. My 'Utilities' folder is full of programs I don't understand. But I love all the software that comes with it because as time goes on, I find myself bored and decide to learn how to use the 'unknown' programs.

It's better to have too much.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There will come a time when you will be glad to have those apps.Playing about with them now is a good way to learn.

11. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

You don't get all the apps that are on computers at the Apple store. For example, iWork and Adobe CS2 were loaded on the machine I was looking at, and they aren't included in the package. A lot of the programs you saw, probably had to be purchased.