So many Open (windows) hard to navigate between them

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rdubmu, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rdubmu, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to the mac, I am having trouble with trying to be productive. I have a lot of different windows open while I am doing work/school. I am used to the windows enviroment where I can just go to the taskbar and run my mouse over the app that is open and it shows all the windows open for that app.

What is the easiest way to beable to switch apps. I am having a hard time trying to find open apps (windows) that are behind each other.

I have a iMac with both a magic mouse and trackpad.

2. macrumors 65816

Try mission control under f3 or bij double tapping your magic mouse with two fingers. This will give you an overview of everything running on your Mac. By pressing ctrl+f3 you see only the windows of the foreground app. I'm not sure how to see that with the magic mouse though.

You can also see all the windows of a current app by clicking and holding on that app in the dock I believe

3. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

I use http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/Hyperdock which gives you the same type of thumbnails like Windows.

You can also try Dockview. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you anything about it. http://kapeli.com/dockview/

4. macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if these are default settings, but on my MacBook Pro running Lion, I can swipe up with 3 fingers to get a Mission Control overview of all open Apps and if I swipe down with 3 fingers I get an overview of all windows for the current App.

You may also want to try using different "spaces" -- there are lots of demos around including on Apple's website. I find that having a few related apps in their own space sometimes helps me avoid distraction.

5. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

I've been using command-tab.

6. macrumors 68030

tkermit

On the Mac, you can double-tap with two fingers (or just one finger with the Magic Mouse, I think) on Dock icons or four-finger-swipe downwards over them to see an app's open windows. While you're in that 'App Exposé' view, you can click on other icons for apps in the Dock to see what windows they have open.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

3 finger swipe up

3 Finger Swipe up, how do I get to do this on the magic mouse?

I guess this this best thing for me right now as it groups apps of the same kind together. Still doesn't help if I have more than one window open for chrome for example. It just groups them together. I could use tabed browsing but sometimes I don't. If I am working on something for school but want to go back to it later then I usually just open a new window...

I can't believe I miss windows for my desktop. The task bar is what I miss the most besides (onenote)... I am going to try those other apps which are mentioned above regarding to the dock :)

----------

Hyperdock is exactly what I was looking for. I get a free trial and then decide if I want to pay for the app store version or homepage version.

Thank you for the help :)

8. macrumors 6502a

I use Command + tilde to cycle through windows in one app.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

command + "tab" or another key?

10. macrumors Core

miles01110

Witch is a pretty good window selector with Command-Tab-like functionality.

Now if that option is set to OFF and someone tried more than 10 times to enter the passcode, what happens?

11. macrumors 6502a

Command + Tilde.

Command + Tab switches applications not windows.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry, what is command + "tilde"

13. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

A tilde is this symbol: ~. It's up in the top left corner of a US keyboard, just below the escape key.

jW

14. macrumors 6502

I miss this functionality, too. I'm not sure if MS has a patent on it? Well, anyway, there is one other thing you can do that I forgot about. You can click and hold on a dock icon and it will bring up all the windows for that app. Sort of what a 3-finger or 4-finger swipe (depending on your gestures configuration) will do for the *current* app.

15. macrumors regular

Mission control or spaces/exposé should probably fulfill your needs. Have tried creating multiple desktops in mission control/spaces? That did the trick for me.

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I never knew that- I love how I am learning more and more each day. I always concidered myself pretty techy in terms of figuring stuff out. With the Mac I am a newbie. Right click does the same thing :)

17. macrumors 603

Right click does the same thing as click-and-hold on the app's Dock icon.

Click-and-hold was mentioned in the first reply, from vmachiel: