Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I'll beat the horse a little more.

My alarm went off this morning and I went to turn it off - Holy mother of god weapons of mass destruction it was blinding. Too much white. Settings are on auto.

Hope they come out with some options...:cool:

Nevermind who likes or doesn't like iOS 7... You made me laugh... :)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Do you do this while viewing this forum that is all white??? Funny how nobody is complaining here...only when it's something new.

Yes, I use Change Colors for Google Chrome. I can change all the backgrounds to black and have white text, while retaining the colors of all the images and link text. It's great.

But with a computer, it's more likely you have control over the lighting. People will turn on a light and then sit at a computer, in their own room. A phone, you might be walking outside, you might be in bed and just want to set an alarm without blinding your partner and yourself, etc... It's not the same, but I'm opposed to white background web pages as well!

That's fine, but be prepared for home button lag if you do that.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17922236#post17922236

Yes, sadly I'm used to that by now. There is a 1 second delay as it waits to see how many times you will click.

From what I gather, there is enough lag with animations and such, maybe it won't make such a big difference :rolleyes:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Talk about inconsistencies, the dialer screen is a blinding white background of blinding white keys and blinding white tabs. But when you are in a call you get a really nice dark brown background. Is this a standard color, or is it based on my wallpaper? It's funny because it looks quite nice.

Inverting the colors via the accessabilty option makes all the white apps look absolutely georgeous, I wish that was an option. It doesn't work well at all if there are any graphics involved like web browsing or looking at pictures.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Man, I can't believe there is so much blinding white, didn't Apple ever think we would use our phones in the dark? I know we can invert colors with accessibility options, but that's a poor solution as it also inverts colors. Something like windows high contrast mode would be nice. I see an increased contrast option, but I can't figure out what it affects.

Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme. The phone borders on unusable in the dark.

Apple response: "You're looking at it wrong."

:)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The only good thing about having a completely white everything is that you can actually use the phone pretty well with inverted colors. Before, you'd have just enough black bits to make it harsh white when inverted. Now, you can invert colors (triple click home) and you get a white/orange text on black theme, essentially.

KUNST

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Random complaint: I MISS THE BUBBLES!

Random complaint 2: I hate how flat it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if everything wasn't white and all windows interacted with your background--like this?

photo-1-copy-610x1082.png

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I've set up and used many iOS devices in the last few years. Using iOS7 since it was released is the first OS to make me feel physically ill. Between the over abundance of white as a background color, the thin type, and the various animations, my eyes feel extremely strained. There was a point this afternoon where I couldn't work any more do to the headache that resulted from setting up my phone.

In certain places this OS is like looking into a flashlight while blurry things are moving in my periphery!

There's no way I could see using this in its current form on my iPad.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
iOS 7 -- so bright, it burns your eyes!

Hi folks

is it only me or are you guys experiencing too that the new design is very very bright to your eyes?

I hope there will come some "darker" themes... i already turned the "enhance contrast" mode on. But the white borders around the photos e.g. is quite a punishment for my eyes. should be softer... with a grey color e.g.

what do you think?

excuse my bad english please

greets

S

syd430

From using the beta for months -- you'll adjust and soon it will be iOS 6 that looks depressingly grey and gloomy once you go back.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
ur all right ;)

that is the new "energy saving" by apple:

Make the the new Design so bright, that the users will almost turn off backgroundlight
and taaadaaaaaa! The new os7 brings so much more batterylife ;)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Probably in 7.1, we'll have the option of a light (currently) and dark theme. I find iOS 7 to have too much white, and I've been using it since Beta 1.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Black or white makes no difference on iPhone screen (IPS LCD). It uses constant backlit....

Precisely. And so, when we turn down brightness to compensate, our battery life is magically better!

Genius. :rolleyes:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
It is brutally white.

Set triple-click home to invert colors via accessibility.

When using sites like this and apps like mail and messages, invert the colors will give you an almost entirely black screen with white, orange, or teal text.

Actually, because Apple went so whiteout crazy, this method works pretty well!

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
It is brutally white.

Set triple-click home to invert colors via accessibility.

When using sites like this and apps like mail and messages, invert the colors will give you an almost entirely black screen with white, orange, or teal text.

Actually, because Apple went so whiteout crazy, this method works pretty well!

This actually works very well for use of my iPhone in the dark... Thanks Altis!

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I downgraded to iOS 6. it's way darker and much more sophisticated. I really miss the Steve Jobs era.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Wouldn't it be nice if everything wasn't white and all windows interacted with your background--like this?

I was thinking that. I love how the home screen, notifications etc change depending so much on your wallpaper. If that also effected messages and other white apps you'd have full control on how your system looks.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
This actually works very well for use of my iPhone in the dark... Thanks Altis!

You're welcome!

If you feel particularly sensitive to light, you can change the background to a really white one, and most of iOS will then be consistently dark when colors are inverted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.