So much for freedom of the press in the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 11, 2004.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003

The link is to a Der Spiegel article (in German) about the crackdown of foreign journalists traveling to the US.

Some excerpts:

Peter Krobath, an Austrian filmjournalist, spent a December night in a cell in Los Angeles. His crime: he neglected to obtain a press visa before traveling to the US. This visa even applies to citizens of countries who as tourists do not need a visa to travel to the US. On the homepage of the US consulate in Vienna it states that visas are required for those with an infectious disease, a criminal past, connections to the Nazi regime and Journalists who plan to report on something while in the US.

Such practices are only known to occur in Indonesia, says Anthony Loewstadt, of the International Federation of Journalists.

The organisation, reporters without borders, lists in its yearly report some questionable practices of US officials. Some of whom have demanded from the reporters the topic of their assignments.

The most recent case was of a Guardian reporter, Elena Lappin, 26, a british citizen who spent 26 hours in a cell in New York. She was released and shipped back to England on 3 May of this year, coincidentally International Press Freedom Day.

Pretty scary when the US is afraid of freedom of the press. What's next????????
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Wow. That's pretty bad, and for once, I'm honestly surprised about how bad things have gotten.
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    This isn't really new though... I've heard reports of this going back at least a year. Not that I'm not still outraged over it, but this has been policy for a while. There have been other instances of reporters being harrased for not filing the appropriate forms.
  4. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Possibly he's forgetting to mention Zimbabwe.
    Just can't stand to hear the truth, isn't that what Seymour Hersh (may he live forever) was on about?