So much for those rumored plasma displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kretzy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

So much for those rumored plasma displays. :p
    I must say, I thought anything was possible from Apple, but this just seemed a bit too much.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's hard to tell with Apple... plasmas with built-in computers would have been a huge revolutionary step, and just the sort of surprise that Jobs likes to pull on people.

But as I said in one of my posts, plasma TVs are NOT good computer monitors. The resolution isn't high enough and they suffer from burn-in far too easily. Also, the lifespan of a plasma TV will far exceed that of a personal computer... so you'd eventually end up with a plasma TV with antiquated computer parts inside it. Not a good idea. A separate computer module, linked to a big display, makes far more sense.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

For some far out reason I did not see this rumor being feasible. ;)

4. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, when I considered it after first hearing about it, it seemed a long shot. Particularly because I knew about plasma burn-out.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Never had much faith in that rumour...

But you never know... maybe next year... ;)

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I wouldn't count this rumor out of the mix just yet. Apple has updated its displays around this time of the year before, and not necessarily at MWSF, and the updates are definitely due for an update, so I could see this still coming true in some form at least in the near future.

7. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Anythings possible. How about giant LCD displays?

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

LCD = Yes

Plasma = No

LCD/Plasma hybrid technology = Quite possible. ;)

A 42 inch screen is kinda big. :rolleyes:

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you are willing to pay that much, it is possible. ;)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Things obviously weren't quite ready but plasma displays weren't likely anyway.

There wouldn't be 3 PowerBooks still available, if all of Apple's new technology was ready. (Remember the PowerBook G3 vs. the PowerBook G3 series?) There will be more to come and it's going to be much more interesting.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i really wish the shuffle one was tru though...i wouldnt get one but i would like to see it.

Bless

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Gotta agree, that does make sense. You just never know with Apple though... ::eek: ;)

13. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I have to say that the guesses on what MWSF would bring were generally rubbish - a few people put their heads on the block to predict an Intel PowerBook replacement and met with lots of reasons why not. I don't recall reading a single post predicting an iMac replacement (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!).
    But plenty of 'very informed' reasoning why we should expect updated Minis and iBooks, and in the final moments that wild plasma thing. All of which were wrong. So far.

14. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Very well said. All excellent points.

As well, any move like this cuts across Apple's current business model which is to sell video and TV show content via ITMS - which the networks (such as the NBC head) have gone on record as saying they agree with - and disagree with Tivo's latest direction (of course they do!). I'm not buying into who's right or wrong here, just pointing out that for Apple to do anything like this and with TV recording capability is at odds with what they're currently doing with ITMS and the TV network relationships they've just established.

15. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I'm sure it was posted here somewhere, but back in mid-November Appleinsider did come out and say that the iMac and Powerbook would be the first Intel Macs and that the Mini and iBooks would go later. http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1368

16. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Thanks - perhaps I should have a look at their site now, as there still seems to be some wild speculation and very heated postings on MacRumors about what they have released and what people think is about to be released!