So much simpler in OS X....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spencecb, Nov 30, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I just needed to post a thread on some lovin' for our favorite OS, Mac OS X.

I was in my senior thesis class this morning, and we are in the process of doing our presentations on collaborative writing.

Let me just say, it is so amusing watching people struggle with Windows XP.

One thing that made me laugh was the "eject" process for removable media. Do you people realize how much of a pain it is to eject, say, a simple USB thumb drive from XP? First, you have to go down to the task bar (I think that is what it is still called) and right click and tell it to "remove media." Then, a lovely little dialogue box comes up asking you to select which device you would like to remove. Next, you select that device, then click on "stop." Once this happens, yet another dialogue box comes up saying this may remove other "generic" devices. You then click "ok" then your device is (sometimes) removed, or ejected.

This is just one example of the pain of XP. Why can't it just be plain and simple like it is in OS X? Drag it to the trash (which becomes an eject icon), right click it, or go to the Finder menu. Three different ways to do it, all with the same logical "eject" option.

Of course, there are thousands of examples that we could all give of how a process is much simpler on Mac OS X compared to the same process on XP.

Actually, why don't we do that? If you folks want to, take the time to describe a process that is so much simpler on OS X than XP. Let's see what we can all come up with!

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just click on the task bar, a popup menu appears with all the USB type mounted devices then click on the one that you want to remove.

While Mac OS X is still simpler, XP is pretty easy as well for this particular task if you know what you are doing.

3. reflex macrumors 6502a

Left-clicking on the green tasktray icon in Windows also lets you eject a usb device without having to confirm it.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

There is another option too. As long as the item is already highlighted/selected on the desktop, you can use the keyboard shortcut - command - e.

5. esaleris macrumors 6502

Or just pop the sucker out. I've never had any problems doing that.

But I do agree in general. Try finding useful, intuitive, and well-designed shareware for Windows! It seems with Mac, there's always some neat, little niche-filling software that's easy to use and functional for every need that I have. It's quite neat.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I particularly enjoy how it's so much easier to resize a window in OS X. You just move the upper left corner to exactly where you want it, then you drag the lower right corner to resize. It's so much more complex in Windows, where you can resize from more than just one corner.

Oh, wait, I suppose that's an example of one way Windows is better.

There are tons of things that are easier in OS X than Windows, but, to be fair, Windows has some plusses as well. When it comes down to it, a proficient user can do pretty much everything they want with either OS. I agree that OS X is more elegant, and I certainly agree that it looks better. But, seeing one of my brothers try to figure out OS X after being used to Windows, I could see how some OS X features aren't quite as intuitive as I used to think they were. Dragging a disk to the trash to eject it, for example, isn't obvious, nor is ejecting a disk image (although I just realized that the trashcan icon turns into an eject icon when you drag a disk image, something I'd never noticed before because I always use ⌘-E to eject it).

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I never really worry about ejecting drives in XP.....sometimes I can't be bothered so I just pop it out. I did notice sometimes that even though you try to eject it the proper way in XP it still won't eject...but oh well.

Bless

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Be careful doing this as your data/thumb drive can become corrupted.

And yes, I've seen it happen more than a few times -- especially if you have a file open at the time.

9. reflex macrumors 6502a

That's usually when something is still using the drive (for example, you've got it open in Windows Explorer).

In most cases in XP you can just remove the drive, since the default in XP seems to be that it writes changes to usb drives immediately. However, it's also possible that it delays writing (like with harddisks) and then you shouldn't just remove it.

10. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

yeah pretty easy if you how you device is labled. I think it's E:, o wait was it G: or maybe J:, I:............o crap i give up. just pull the damn drive out and take up XP frisbee :D

and if you just pill it out sometimes it will ask for that drive to be reinserted and if it's not yours... your boned. and if you just pull it out sometimes it will not save, and if you needed it right then ... your boned. at least with XP your sure to get boned.

11. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

The people I described laughing at today while watching this are people that use Windows on a day to day basis. The person that was struggling was using her own laptop. And, maybe she had a setting wrong or something, but the way I described her trying to eject the device was just as a couple other people described on here....She clicked on the icon in the task bar, told it to remove the device, and still had to go through a series of confirmations before it actually happened.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed I wouldn't suggest others do it but I can't be bothered sometime. I've ruined a few thumb drives like this:)

Yup you are right and also when an object is in the trash can but sometimes when something is not open at all XP will have problems closing it down..

Bless

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd always opened My Computer and right-clicked on the drive and it was ejected. It wasn't any more difficult than on Mac OS X.

Besides, if you don't have drives on the desktop in Mac OS X, you can't just drag it to the Trash or right-click and eject.

14. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I just open My Computer from an icon in the quick launch bar, then right click and choose eject. It's not much more awkward than in OS X.

The best timesaver in OS X is Exposé, by far. Then Spotlight/QS.

15. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Weird, I never knew that before.

This is the kind of thing that bugs me about Windows...everywhere else in the system it's right-click to get a contextual menu. But in this *one* place...left click AND right click each bring up a different contextual menu.

Is there a good reason why these two menus couldn't be merged?

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hmmm.... Good question.

That's one of the frustrating things about Windows. So many options, yet they can be confusing as to how to access them.

The Mac OS X was designed for a one button mouse. So it's implementation is much better.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

MLOL! :D

So very true. I have one computer where I have a multiple USB card reader and many times I pick the wrong item to eject.

With the Mac, it is much easier to see which one you are selecting. That is for sure.

18. nitynate macrumors 6502a

We know.... We know......

OS X is superior.

You dont have to tell us that. :)

19. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

That wasn't even my goal to start with. I just thought it would be fun to point out ways in which using a computer is more pleasant on a Mac because of OS X. Not necessarily hating on Windows, just lovin on Mac OS X :)