So my boss just got a PSP...

Discussion in 'Games' started by edesignuk, Dec 31, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...which he paid through the teeth for! PSP:£340, Ridge Racer:£45, Petrol for a 100 mile round trip to collect it!

But I tell you what, it's freakin' amazing! You have to see it to believe just how good it is!

I want one...bad!

2. iGav macrumors G3

I know they are rather spiffy aren' they... :)

Anyone that buys a DS over a PSP needs their head examining...

3. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah. They have a couple on display in various shops round 'ere, bloody awesome. I'll end up buying one just for the new Wipeout... :rolleyes:

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really can't understand how ANYONE could buy a DS over a PSP. The PSP is just stunning.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hey! I just bought a DS on Wednesday and I'm quite happy with it. I might end up with a PSP too but... it can't hurt to have a few systems right? :D

I quite like my DS.

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

A guy I know got a PSP, but the left shoulder button stuck sometimes so he returned it and got his money back. There's talk of it being a design flaw. Has anyone else heard this?

PSPs were sold out, yet there were plenty of DSs left :p

7. urban1985_ macrumors regular

I think the DS is original, but it seems like the touch screen is only a novelty. I can't see how this will revolutionize gaming. I still like staring at one screen only.

I can't wait for the PSP, I most likely won't be able to afford it when it comes out here, but I'll still want it haha. I hear its screen is phenomenal.

There's a great review for the PS2 on here

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000510024287/

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehe, my boss and all of us were all reading through this yesterday afternoon after he won the PSP on eBay :D

9. iGav macrumors G3

nah... it's just a retrorehash of the old Nintendo Donkey Kong games... :p

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I just bought a freakin DS, and now I want a PSP! Why can't technology stagnate so the latest hardware lasts years? How I hate thee, Sony... and Nintendo, for making an inferior product...

11. iGav macrumors G3

it's not like the PSP sprung out of a big birthday cake.... :p

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You could atleast console me about my HORRIBLE DECISION!!!

;) :(

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Heck yeah! Love me some Wipeout.

I'd love to grab a DS, but I can't see spending the cash for the system and a couple of games, when I know it's only going to collect dust once the PSP is out.

14. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i would wait for more reviews and updates before picking one of these up. maybe wait a year into the lifecycle. most systems get a major fixup upon updates. it should go down in price by then too. if this thing really only runs for 3 hours though - there are going to be a lot of PO'ed people.

15. iGav macrumors G3

or I could point you in the direction of eBay to sell it... ;)

seriously though... the best option would be to own both a DS and a PSP ;)

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

On a full charge it says it has 5 1/2hrs battery. I'll have to ask my boss how it goes.

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Mate got himself a DS for xmas and i'm very impressed with it.

As much as i love Sony kit i HATE the playstation, too many crap games, and theres been too much bad news about the battery life on the PSP.

The PSP needs to be cheap with a god battery life to succed, at the moment it dosn't have either.

Still want a fiddle with one though. ;)

18. iGav macrumors G3

:confused: :confused: :confused: and lots of good ones as well... hardly the Playstations fault though is it? a similar argument could be levelled at both the GameCube and the XBox as well, except that they don't have lot's of crap games because they don't have many games in the first place. heheheh

What is it with people and stuff being cheap...? things don't have to be cheap at all to succeed.

The battery life is a compromise though... but judging by how bad the DS's graphics are, I'm not surprised it's got good battery life. :p

19. devwild macrumors member

You know, I thought so too, but I ended up with a DS despite my lack of interest in it (and still twiddling my thumbs for games I actually want like mario kart), but the touch screen is actually pretty impressive in it's usefulness. The most surprising thing to me was the playability of metroid prime. I would never have imagined being able to actually aim worth beans in a first person shooter on a handheld. Using the strap with the thumb cap (not the stylus), it feels absolutely natural.

I could honestly see the control scheme being used on consoles in the future for first person shooters like Halo and 007 in some fashion. It still doesn't replace a mouse, but it's better than a D-pad in at least some ways.

I think the DS will hold it's market pretty well, and it has sold extremely well so far. The PSP is high priced, fragile (lots of button, analog pad, and door problems already, and an unprotected screen), and bloated with features the money end of the market (young kids) don't use as much. The DS is at a suprisingly appropriate price point, extremely durable despite it's new features (nintendo handhelds are *intentionally* larger than they need be), was first to market, and has some great expansion options down the road... including audio and video playback.

Honestly I think the PSP will make a bigger dent in the portable media market, which has a bunch of marginally functional HD players at the moment, than in Nintendo's camp. Anybody I know willing to lay down the cash on a PSP already has a DS or is planning on getting one soon.

What I don't understand is how Sony expects to sell pre-recorded movies on UMD. It's the same stupid mistake they made with pre-recorded minidiscs, and just like the minidisc, if they instead make recording hardware available and easy to use, they will find their success there with people recording video for later use, not with asking them to buy a second copy of a movie they already own on DVD to watch on a tiny screen.

20. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I agree with you there. Who in their right mind will buy anything other than games on UMD format :confused: :rolleyes:

21. devwild macrumors member

My personal problem with the playstation, I own both a PS2 and XBOX, and almost any game I am interested in these days is on both. And any game that is available on both, looks far better on the XBOX both because of hardware, and because the XBOX has far better progressive scan and HDTV support (except for DVD playback, where the newer PS2s are actually better). So my PS2 is relegated to games only on it, like Final Fantasy.

Now, with the PS3, this may very likely reverse, as the PS3 might be newer hardware than the XBOX 2, leaving the XBOX 2 only useful for Halo 3.

*shrug*, We'll see.

22. stvli macrumors newbie

As they say don't judge a book buy its cover... http://nfg.2y.net/games/psp/ PSPs are very nice looking but when it comes to other things, oh dear.

DS Rules hands down! Talk to your mates wirelessly, can play movies music... not to mention the cool games! It also has one of the most innovative control systems ever! Nintendo are like Apple only for consoles/handhelds! :cool:

23. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

The DS brings new things to the table, the PSP is merely a copy of the PS2--a much more expensive copy that you need to buy new games for, btw.

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

pr0n? :rolleyes: :D

25. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If sony introduced pr0n for the PSP, parents would flip!