So, my college is starting to care about Mac users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Feb 22, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The IT department used to ignore us. Now, they just sent this out in an e-mail to every student:
    It's a start :rolleyes: :D

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Many computer labs around campus are soley dedicated to Apple. Plus I see more and more Mac users everyday around campus so that is good too. The library does lack a sufficient amount of Macs but thats ok. Our school gives us Norton for free for Mac but who needs that?

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

There are a couple Macs in the library. After using them once, I'd rather use the Windows machines. Their ancient PMG4s (sawtooths I guess) with hardly any RAM trying to run OSX.

4. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

We actually have a fair share of Macs. Every dorm has a 50/50 split of Dells and iMac G5's. In the library, the entire basement is G5 Towers.

I see a lot of Powerbooks around campus, too. :)

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

There's also a ton of PMG4s in the chem building but I don't know what they're for. The amount of "security issues" and downtime our school has concerns me. If UMR was a company I know a few people who would be out of jobs.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I don't know that I'd interpret your IT's remarks as "caring" just yet. You should have the capability in Safari Preferences to disable automatic file opening.

Attached Files:

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Heh, that would be nice.

There are some Mac laptops around campus owned by students, but finding any Macs in the computer labs is tough. As far as iPods are concerned, I'd actually say about 1 in 5 students has one. You can't walk a foot on campus without seeing white earbuds. It's actually surprising seeing that many iPods on a nerdy campus comprised of mostly Mac haters.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Heh, you go to UMR too?

Yeah, we get e-mails all the time over IT **** not working. Exchange stopped delivering e-mail today too.

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Yeah, I'm a freshman physics major (actually, sophomore by credit hours). At least a third of my email is from the IT department. It's unbelievable.