So my cousins pub had a fire

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/NEWSF08.html

Happened a few days ago now. I was in for the morning shift, sorting out stock and clearing up from the night before, egged in to go an hour earlier than usual (so long as I get everything sorted before they open, v.flexible hours) I left the place at about 1pm along with my cousin, Mark, and Fay. About an hour later we get a call saying that theres smoke coming from the windows, that there was a small fire. The fire men arrived and apparently there was nothing to be worried about so I stayed at home! Ohhh dear.

The whole downstairs is destroyed, the cieling is more or less gone. Arcade/games machines have been totally wiped out along with one of the giant LCD TVs. Spirits had all evapourated (exploded?) above the bar, melting the lights. Half a wall had fallen down too. Total mess.
    Upstairs wasn't too bad, smoke damage everywhere but no actual fire. He runs a small eBay business and had £1400 worth of PS3's that just about survived, along with a plucky small HDTV.

I keep thinking... If I went to work earlier, or if I stayed back and read some of the papers I might have spotted this and been able to stop it... the place is littered with fire extinguishers. He's also got a puppy Chihuahua that was thankfully at his parents place that day, else it probably would have died from the smoke.

I feel so sorry for them too. Fay is (was?) the youngest landlady in England and has really faught to get the pub doing well despite her age. Just a big bad day for the family really.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sorry to hear that, raggedjimmi – one less pub can never be a good thing.

I hope the business is salvageable.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently their going to either sell the place/abandon it and be done with it, or totally go to town and remodel the whole place. It was flawed before - no downstairs kitchen, very old looking etc.

They're not really talking to anyone though so it's hard to tell what will happen.