So my dad decided he wanted a laptop today... (laptop advice)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, May 2, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

My dad has his own business, where he has a dell desktop :( at home, and another PC at his main job site, but he is fairly mobile.

He told me to find him a laptop. The only thing he really uses a computer for is Excel spreadsheets, Word, E-mail, and the occasional internet browsing, he's not exactly what you would call a computer nerd.. get's in, and get's out. Tired of sharing computers and them not working right. Would like his own computer to keep in his briefcase, so he could always have it. More conveinient I guess, now he could work anywhere (such as couch) and not be tied down to the den, when he is tired at night. To my suprise he asked "so should I buy an apple" :eek: After a little more talking, he said "So I think after I get paid for .... You and I will go to the Apple Store".

So... I need some advice. And my dad doesn't wait long when it comes to purchases after he makes his mind up!

What to buy? He asked how much my iBook G4 was, and it ended up costing about $800 because I bought during Cram and Jam in Sept.

He could I guess go with a iBook, but it would be wierd having 2 in the house... IDK. Would about a IBM or HP? Don't laugh, but just an option. He's never owned a Mac before. But, maybe he'll be impressed by the OS. I don't want him to get an iBook and think it's cheap or something feeling... He does tend to like things nice, but, he doesn't want to spend $1500...

An exciting but difficult decision to make.

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I would indeed recommend an iBook. There may be new iBooks of some kind in the next few weeks--something to be aware of.

The bottom PowerBook is also a great choice--faster and metallic :) But the 12" screen isn't the best for many people.

I would not recommend a Windows laptop. His needs can be met well by an iBook + MS Office, and if he doesn't want to deal with troubeshooting and viruses, OS X is a no-brainer.

Plus he'll probably find the OS more productive overall, once he's used to it.

The ideal would be the 15" PowerBook in my view, but that does cost more. (It's also the lowest Mac laptop that gives you more than 1024x768 res. What res is he used to on his current laptop?)

3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

He has no laptop at the moment. Like I said... his computer usage is pretty basic, short and sweet on dell desktops...

the 15" is way overkill. iBook is the only new option I guess. but just doesn't really seem fit for a businessman, you know? He doesn't mind the 12" size, he likes mine, the thing he said he doesn't like about windows laptops, is "they are too big". So, I'm thinking maybe a used 12" P'book.

Or a new iBook if they come and are good.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Nothing wrong with an iBook for business. If he likes the 12" screen OK, then that or the bottom PB are good choices. The PB is slightly smaller and faster but you pay for that.

Look for deals online, too--maybe you can get a discount on MS Office, or something else useful, thrown into the deal.

One size advantage to keep in mind with Apple vs. others: other laptops that manage to be compact or thin tend to do so by leaving out parts... which you then have to carry along separately. Like an optical drive.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Just today there was a good deal on dealmac for the 12" PB. (www.dealmac.com.)

FYI I think 15" is the sweet spot, but that's just me.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

14" iBook, 512 MB of RAM total.

Possibly Bluetooth installed. Otherwise, it will be fine as-is.

7. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

8. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

14" iBook is stupid IMHO. There's no more additional screen res. So what's the point? Things just look slightly bigger. I think those things are quite a bit bigger, almost as big as 15" P'book. Interested to see what they do with the next update.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The point is that things ARE bigger. Some people may not be able to see things at the lower size. Thus, if they are on a bigger screen, it is easier for someone to use! Oh, and they aren't that big. They're pretty light...

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

Also, your dad may not have the eyesight that you do.

But yeah, the 12" 1.33ghz is going for $1000 even at dealmac - that's a hell of a deal. Check out macsurfer.com and it links to lots of deal pages.

11. white1827 macrumors newbie

iBooks are just fine for business. I'm a CIO and I carry one about.

12. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Why is it that almost every forum concerning "iBook" or "Powerbook" ends up into a discussion of "iBook vs Powerbook". lol

So, you guys (of course) are saying no to window's laptop and go with Apple.

From here it's up to my dad. Going to have him look at both and see what he prefers. Def. should wait until next iBook update.

I hope they change form factor! I don't want my dad's laptop to be identical looking to mine...

I'm thinking, if he doesn't want to spend the extra $$ on the powerbook from micro center, I'll buy it, and he can buy mine from me... maybe. I'm going to College next year, I think the P'book is the way to go, I wish I wouldda did that in the first place.

13. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Now THERE'S a plan where everybody wins... give him yours and earn yourself a PB :D

I know what you mean about the 14" iBook, but there's a reason they're so popular: much easier to read (and brighter) screen! And still more compact than many Wintel laptops.

So have your dad look at the 12" and 14"--you may not like the 14" screen, but he just might. The fact that no extra pixels are crammed in there has an advantage: type and icons are bigger and easier to see. For long hours of use, that's very nice.

14. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Because they're so close in specs (with the lowend PB) at the moment. At least IMO.